Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 135

  • ray@sirois.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2001
      Thanks, John, for the supportive comments. I agree.

      Those of us involved in both of these movements
      know how well they belong together, and how
      powerful a combination they can be to advance
      the purposes of each!

      In addition to the points made, eg. a hobby
      a Dad and his Son can enjoy together at a
      critical age in their relationship, I have a
      couple other benefits to offer.

      One is how the verbal communications
      skills of the young men/women are advanced by
      the training and fun of Amateur Radio.
      Train them on all the protocols, and then
      put them on the air with others their age,
      and watch the magic. They figure out how
      to express themselves, verbalize their
      thoughts... and with others their own age
      almost all the aprehension is gone!
      I had one fellow who didn't say a word
      in class, very timid, but he got his licesnse,
      and as soon as he was on the air, WOW
      he was very articulate!

      The carreers in communications, electronics,
      and wireless are endless in this day and age,
      and those of us who are involved in Amateur
      Radio and Scouting really have a treasure
      we need to share more, and make more
      noise about in both circles.

      The Big Project movement of the ARRL
      which is focused on getting Ham Radio into
      the Public Schools is a great idea. But
      I really think we'd get more impact getting
      Hams involved in their local scout troops as well.

      N1RY - Ray Sirois

    • jamesmahoney@juno.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2001
        I am currently working on starting a radio club at my local middle
        school. I my proposal I am stating the many benefits of amateur radio.
        In addition to electronics the students learn Math, Geography, Foreign
        language skills, Social skills, and (always an attention getter)
        diversity. Studying for their licenses and learning the code give the
        students the real self esteem they get from meeting a challenge head on
        and being successful. It's also a lot of fun. Good luck with your
        project.

        Jim Mahoney KB3BYU
        SM Troop 107
        Allentown, PA