Re: Giving a Presentation to an Ellicott City, MD Troop on 9/24/2009

  • tomk3mov
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31 8:50 PM
      Phil,

      That information and presentation are absolutely sensational. I don't
      think we will have time to do the whole merit badge thing this time
      around. But I will definitely ask for another shot once I see what the
      reaction is. Thanks very much!!

      73, Tom K3MOV

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Sohn" <philsohn@...> wrote:

      > How much time do you have? I'd ask for an hour and do this as a merit
      bade presentation. Print out worksheets for each scout, and have them
      take note as you present. 10 days ago I did this at the Washington state
      Jamboree. 110 Scouts earned their Radio Merit Badge. You can find the
      slides and handout I use at http://woodinvillescouting.org/docs.aspx.

      > Phil
      > K7APS

    • Dale Lamm
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2009
        [snip]

        How much time do you have? I'd ask for an hour and do this as a merit bade
        presentation. Print out worksheets for each scout, and have them take note
        as you present. 10 days ago I did this at the Washington state Jamboree. 110
        Scouts earned their Radio Merit Badge. You can find the slides and handout I
        use at http://woodinvillescouting.org/docs.aspx.

        Phil
        K7APS

        [end]

        Appreciate the streamlined worksheet and PPT presentation. Needed to get an
        Office patch before I could view the PPTX file format. Your website mentions
        K2GW as the source of the presentation. Gary has done a lot for Scouting and
        Amateur Radio. He says the slides on his site are per the August 2008
        booklet. http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadgeday/index.html

        73 de Dale
      • Elden Morris
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2009
          I don't know about teaching the Radio Merit Badge in one hour or so. I've been teaching the Radio Merit Badge for five years and after all that time, I've whittled it down to four hours. I then have the Scouts talk on the radio.

          73's & Yours in Scouting
          ELDEN MORRIS, N1ETN

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4, 2009
            Elden Morris wrote:

            > I don't know about teaching the Radio Merit Badge in one hour or so.
            > I've been teaching the Radio Merit Badge for five years and after all
            > that time, I've whittled it down to four hours. I then have the Scouts
            > talk on the radio.
            >
            > 73's & Yours in Scouting
            > ELDEN MORRIS, N1ETN

            Thank You!
            Let's remember, we are to require no more than asked for nor any less
            than shown. Being able to copy from the power point does not meet
            "understand, explain or show." I would hate to see Scouts earning Eagle
            based on a quick pass through of the book.
            The real answer must be making it fun and sparking an interest so that
            they ask for more.
            YIS
            ----- Norman Huber - N9ZKS - Central Illinois
            ----- Unit Commissioner / Roundtable Staff / Assistant Scoutmaster
            ----- 19266 US Highway 150
            ----- Bloomington, IL 61705-5855
            ----- Phone 309-378-4674
            ----- Cell 309-287-1102
          • tomk3mov
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2009
              I just received the Official Radio Merit Badge booklet from the BSA. I
              find it very informative and well laid out. There appears to me to be a
              lot more to it than I (on my first attempt) could cover in an hour. I
              want to do it right and hopefully inspire some of the young gentlemen to
              persue the badge and eventually their tickets.

              I do, at this point, intend to take and set up my portable station which
              consists of a TS 480SAT, a portable battery and my Outbacker 12' antenna
              on an Alpha Delta tripod. At this point I'm not sure where I will be
              located or exactly how many folks (adults and boys) will be attending.

              My thanks to those who have directed me to the various handouts for the
              badge. I anticipate using some of them in my presentation and all of
              them when I feel comfortable giving the badge presentation.

              Tnx es 73, Tom K3MOV

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Norm Huber <n9zks@...> wrote:

              > Elden Morris wrote:
              > >

              > > I don't know about teaching the Radio Merit Badge in one hour or so.
              > > I've been teaching the Radio Merit Badge for five years and after
              all
              > > that time, I've whittled it down to four hours. I then have the
              Scouts
              > > talk on the radio.
              > >
              > > 73's & Yours in Scouting
              > > ELDEN MORRIS, N1ETN
              > >

              > Thank You!
              > Let's remember, we are to require no more than asked for nor any less
              > than shown. Being able to copy from the power point does not meet
              > "understand, explain or show." I would hate to see Scouts earning
              Eagle
              > based on a quick pass through of the book.
              > The real answer must be making it fun and sparking an interest so that
              > they ask for more.
              > YIS
              > ----- Norman Huber - N9ZKS - Central Illinois
              > ----- Unit Commissioner / Roundtable Staff / Assistant Scoutmaster
              > ----- 19266 US Highway 150
              > ----- Bloomington, IL 61705-5855
              > ----- Phone 309-378-4674
              > ----- Cell 309-287-1102

            • tomk3mov
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2009

                Thanks to the input from this Group and from John King KB3WA, Radio Merit Badge Counseler for Troop 944 in Howard County, MD and a member of the Columbia Amateur Radio Association, my fifty minute presentation is slowly coming together.  The "icing on the cake" of the presetaion will John and me trying to make some contacts with my portable station from the scout meeting place.

                The presentation is going to take place on Thursday, September 24 @ 7:00 EDT.  The actual calling of CQ will probably begin around 7:30 EDT on or around 14.240 Mhz.  I would really appreciate some of you marking your calenders with that date, time and frequency and giving a listen to improve our chances of establishing a contact in front of the audience.

                I will be running 100 watts from my TS 480SAT to a 12' Outbacker antenna on an Alpha Delta tripod mount.  At this point, I'm not exactly sure where the antenna will be located or how much coax I will be using so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

                Tnx es 73, Tom Baxter K3MOV

                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "tomk3mov" <tomk3mov@...> wrote:

                > I volunteered to give aHam Radio presentation to a scout troop in
                > Ellicott City, MD on the evening of 9/24/2009. After volunteering I
                > realzed, of course, I had no materials and, although I've been a ham
                > since 1961, I know very little about VHF and UHF operation. I enlisted
                > the the help of the president of the Columbia, MD Amateur Radio
                > Association, and he has graciously offered to help me with some
                > educational materials. I have also ordered some literature from the
                > B.S.A. regarding the Radio Merit Badge.
                >
                > I'm wondering if there are any licensed scouts in the Ellicott City /
                > Columbia MD areas who may care to join us and give a true Scout
                > perspective of the subject.
                >
                > Tnx es 73, Tom Baxter K3MOV

              • tomk3mov
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 24, 2009

                  REMINDER AND ADDENDUM:  THANKS TO THE EXTRAORDINARY EFFORTS OF JOHN KING, KB3WK, WE NOW HAVE AVAILABLE TO US A G5RV @ 45 FT.

                  SOMETIME SOON AFTER 7:30 PM EDT, WE WILL QSY TO 7.190 Mhz AND TRY TO HOOK UP WITH SOME SCOUTS IN CT.  IF YOU CAN'T COPY US ON 20, PLEASE MONITOR 7.190 FOR A WHILE AND SEE IF YOU CAN COPY US THERE.

                  THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED AND 73, TOM BAXTER K3MOV

                  Thanks to the input from this Group and from John King KB3WK, Radio Merit Badge Counseler for Troop 944 in Howard County, MD and a member of the Columbia Amateur Radio Association, my fifty minute presentation is slowly coming together.  The "icing on the cake" of the presetaion will consist of John and me trying to make some contacts from the Scout meeting hall using my portable station.