SCOUTS on the Air

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 1999
      On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Jon Pearl W4ABC wrote:

      > ... Hello to you too Bob.

      Yes, but Im a newbee here and disappointed to hear there are only 14 of
      us. I thought there would be hundreds if not thousands on here.. OK,
      here is what I am doing...

      1) Encouraging everyone on APRS to add SCOUTS to their message group list
      2) Encouraging all IGATES to include SCOUTS as a pass-through call
      3) I just bought 10 FRS radios for my den ($39 each costs less than
      one Ham dual Bander).
      4) Im taking these radios to every scout activity (all on channel 1)

      Items 1 & 2 make it possible for anyone anywhere to send a message to
      "SCOUTS" and have that message be received by any/all other scouters
      on the air (anywhere in the USA depending on coverage) Including
      the Kenwood THD7 HT which can send and receive APRS messages... (OOPS,
      I dont think it can do special group callsigns tho).

      Items 3 & 4 just make radios visible to Scouters. All the parents
      when I do this ask where they can get some...

      I think this is a movement that will grow! Yes, it is FRS radio, but
      that is only the first step. My first radio 35 years ago was the 3
      transistor Knight Kit supperrregen walkie talkie (CB). We had 6 in
      our troop, and then we ALL moved up to get our HAM license...

      de WB4APR, Bob

      Any other ideas on how to get kids on the air easily?
    • Demos Doulou
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28, 1999
        I will be adding SCOUTS to the Pinellas Igate later tonight after I upgrade
        the software. There are not many scouts (other than adults) on aprs
        locally, but the gate will be ready for it.

        Demos KR4US

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 1999
          Yep, we gotta start somewhere.. thanks...
          bob

          On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Demos Doulou wrote:

          > From: "Demos Doulou" <sdoulou1@...>
          >
          > I will be adding SCOUTS to the Pinellas Igate later tonight after I upgrade
          > the software. There are not many scouts (other than adults) on aprs
          > locally, but the gate will be ready for it.
          >
          > Demos KR4US

          APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

          Reply mail addr: wb4apr@...
          US mail address: 115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
          See DAYTON97 HISTORY: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
          See Maryland APRS LIVE: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
          See GPS on ANY radio: http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html