RE: [ScoutRadio] Fox hunting at Camporee

  • Mike Lukas
    Message 1 of 19 , May 29 4:58 AM
      I used some old cb equipment and just a loop on a stick ...crude but it works and make them work as a team...

      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      From: kc8yjj@...
      Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 11:35:52 -0400
      Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Fox hunting at Camporee

      Keith, I do a fox hunt at our summer camp as an embellishment to the Radio Merit Badge. I do it as an option and invite anyone else in camp to join in as well. Last year I had the camp director join in.

      What I have been using is a PicCon from Byonics and a old Icom 2at on low power and a resistor for an antenna. I put them into groups of 2 to 3 and show them how to do a body fade, give them a map and compass and let them hear the fox and then set them loose. I use several hand helds that I either own or barrow. Some of the boys go on and get their ticket over the winter and bring their own gear and antennas. It seems to grow each year.

      The hard part for me is hiding it with out them knowing I am hiding it. To fix that, I also work as an Assistant Ranger, so I am all over the camp during the day, so unless they are watching all day, they don't figure it out.

      I tell them to listen, do the body fade, use the compass to get a bearing, then plot it on the map. Then everyone switches jobs as they get closer.

      They actually do quite well, even the Camp Director   :-)

      Gary

      KC8YJJ