National Jamboree APRS with DTMF!

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2009
      APRS at the 2010 Jamboree can be used by anyone with just a DTMF HT!

      The 2010 BSA Jamboree map has a grid on it. A-Z in latitude and 1-37 in Longitude. This means we can easily run an APRStt (touchtone) gateway to let APRS see not only all the APRS portables but also anyone willing to key in 6 digits from their DTMF keypad.

      See map: www.troop116.org/jamboree/j01sitemap3.gif

      You enter a position anywhere on the map with just the DTMF entry BXXYY* followed by your pre-stored DTMF callsign from a DTMF memory. Thus, every Ham can report his troop's position at any time with the XX/YY grid, and can send and receive text messages.

      And he can query anyone else's position (with voice response) "WB4APR is at 23 X" for example.

      So all hams planning on having their HT at Jamboree should be thinking about how this can be useful to their organization and the Jamboree. Especially having some laptops displaying the map at various locations for everyone to see. Of course, Mom back home can also watch at any time via any of the APRS web pages.

      Of course, we need a central DIGI and a central IGate as well.

      To understand how APRStt (touchtone) works, see how we used it at Dayton. www.aprs.org/aprstt.html The software is being written by Rick Ruhl W4PC of CSS.

      And to see how it can be used for scoring, messaging, or numeric reporting from the field see the earlier email below.

      Bob, WB4APR