Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 129

  • Arthur N1NHZ
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2001
      At 10:30 AM 1/25/01 +0000, you wrote:

      >Message: 3
      > Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:56:11 -0800
      > From: "KG6AYP Randy" <KG6AYP@...>
      >Subject: Re: Troop 107 on the air
      >
      >What is UTC? in respect to like EST or PST? I'm sorry but all these
      >different time zone stuff gets to be confusing.. ;)
      >
      >Randy
      >KG6AYP
      >ASM Troop 773 Paradise, CA
      Hi, Randy. "UTC" is the French abbreviation for the 24 hour
      Coordinated Universal Time, also known as "Zulu" or "GMT" time. Please
      see: http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/utc.html and
      http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/%28Gh%29/guides/maps/utc/def.rxml
      For easy conversion from EST or PST to UTC and back again, please
      see: http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/maps/utc/frutc.rxml

      Notice the "-0800" at the end of the "Date:" line of your message
      above? That indicates 8 hours difference between Pacific Standard Time and
      UTC. Here in Boston where I am, EST, the difference is -0500 hours. You can
      think of it this way: London, England has their sunrise 5 hours before
      Boston. Boston MA has their sunrise 3 hours before Paradise CA.

      Take the UTC time announced for various events and subtract 8 hours
      from that to obtain your local PST time. Just be sure to make the change
      when you go to daylight savings time, PDT. :-)

      Hope that these Web URLs will be helpful to you.

      73, Arthur N1NHZ Boston (MA) Amateur Radio Club
      ARRL EMA ARES, MaSATERN
      For an informal, unofficial look at BARC: http://aabb.eboard.com
      d(:-) Hams wearing Call Sign baseball caps d(:-)