UTC vs. local time

  • Darrell Hale
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2001
      >What is UTC? in respect to like EST or PST? I'm sorry but all these
      >different time zone stuff gets to be confusing.. ;)

      http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/zones.html

      The world in broken into 24 time zones so that sunrise/set is fairly
      consistant with the local landscape. UTC is the baseline time in one of
      those zones, with 23 offsets for (usually in 1 hour increments) to get to
      the other time zones.

      UTC is a standard that does not jump around (ie: standard and daylight
      savings) so the table above represents both offsets in the US. In the
      Eastern Time Zone, the offset will either be 4 or 5 hours, depending on if
      daylight savings is in effect.

      Note, the US is _behind_ UTC, so 12 noon UTC is about 5 thru 8 AM in the US
      depending on where in the US you are. So 3 AM UTC is something like 10 PM
      in the US.

      Find you offset (ie: 4 hours, 5 hours, etc.), and then just subtract that
      number from the UTC time for your local time.

      Darrell Hale, N3KTP