RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Appalachian Trail HAM Event

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2009
      Randy,

      > I mentioned this project in my article in the SERA Journal (
      > South eastern Repeater Association Journal ), maybe it will
      > stir up some interest for you. It will be printed in May.

      Can you remind me if this is SE PA or USA, or what state, or
      whatever? Thanks

      And thanks for getting the word out!

      Bob, WB4APR

      > Also mentioned the group here...hope that was OK....
      >
      > Randy McKenzie
      > KK4EJ
      > sera.org
      > Eagle Scout, Troop 84 Independence VA
      >

      > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bruninga "
      > <bruninga@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 18 or 19 July we will attempt the first annual GOlden
      > Packet attempt to relay a packet message all 2000 miles along
      > the Appalachian Trail using 14 temporary APRS or packet.
      > Once the 14 relay teams are in place, and the golden packets
      > have been successsful, then any hiker along the trail can
      > attempt to send messages as well.
      > >
      > > We need volunteers for the teams.
      > > See all the detail: www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
      > >
      > > Bob, WB4APR

      > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

      > SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGESYahoo! Groups
      Links

    • Randy McKenzie
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2009
        The SERA covers the SE USA.....their purpose is to coordinate repeaters and do a great job of it.

        Maybe some of the packet "heads" in VA, NC, GA etc will hear about this and help out your project....

        The trail crosses White top Mtn, about 100 yards from one of my State Police Comm sites. Ive seen several hikers over the years.

        Randy
        KK4EJ

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...> wrote:

        > Randy,
        > >
        > > I mentioned this project in my article in the SERA Journal (
        > > South eastern Repeater Association Journal ), maybe it will
        > > stir up some interest for you. It will be printed in May.
        >

        > Can you remind me if this is SE PA or USA, or what state, or
        > whatever? Thanks
        >
        > And thanks for getting the word out!
        >
        > Bob, WB4APR
        > >
        > > Also mentioned the group here...hope that was OK....
        > >
        > > Randy McKenzie
        > > KK4EJ
        > > sera.org
        > > Eagle Scout, Troop 84 Independence VA
        > >

        > > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bruninga "
        > > <bruninga@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > On 18 or 19 July we will attempt the first annual GOlden
        > > Packet attempt to relay a packet message all 2000 miles along
        > > the Appalachian Trail using 14 temporary APRS or packet.
        > > Once the 14 relay teams are in place, and the golden packets
        > > have been successsful, then any hiker along the trail can
        > > attempt to send messages as well.
        > > >
        > > > We need volunteers for the teams.
        > > > See all the detail: www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
        > > >
        > > > Bob, WB4APR

        > > Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
        > > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
        > >
        > > Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
        > > http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml
        > >
        > > SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGESYahoo! Groups
        > Links

      • Stephen M. Shearer
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 10, 2009

          From:  > > > 425 DX NEWS < < <  http://www.425dxn.org/monthly/index.html

          3V     - Special event Scout station TS1LYMC (I Love You  My  Country)  will

                   be activated from Tunisia on 12-30 April. Expect activity on  80-10

                   metres CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK and SSTV. QSL to TS1LYMC, 33  Rue  plaine

                   Lune Borj Louzir, Ariana 2073 Tunis, Tunisia.

        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2012
            Spread to all East coast Scouting outlets:

            Appalachian Trail Scouting Operation ON-TARGET Saturday 21 July.

            This year a team of Ham radio operators will be manning Appalachian Trail
            mountain tops from Georgia to Maine to participate in the national Scouting
            Operation ON-TARGET event. This event attempts to signal between troops on
            mountain tops over distances up to 100 miles using signaling mirrors or
            flashing light and Ham radio.

            Although this is a great event out west involving hundreds of scouters and
            troops, it has not been well manned back east due to shorter distances and
            smaller mountains. But this year, this will change. With 15 of the highest
            mountain tops already being manned for the Golden Packet event
            (http://aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html), this team of hams will also have
            signaling mirrors to flash at any surrounding troops anywhere that can see
            the mountain.

            So even if your troop did not plan to hike to a mountain top, you can still
            participate by communicating and flashing to these guys already up there.
            The signaling takes place from 1100 to 1400 on Saturday 21 July. The
            mountain top teams will be listening on 445.925 MHz simplex. If you want to
            flash with them, let them know in advance where to look and that you will be
            participating and then coordinate directly on 445.925 during the event.

            You can find out their contact info on the above web page which has links to
            all 15 mountain tops along the way.

            Thanks

            Bob Bruninga, WB4APR