Appalachian Trail HAM Event

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2009
      On 18 or 19 July we will attempt the first annual GOlden Packet attempt to relay a packet message all 2000 miles along the Appalachian Trail using 14 temporary APRS or packet. Once the 14 relay teams are in place, and the golden packets have been successsful, then any hiker along the trail can attempt to send messages as well.

      We need volunteers for the teams.
      See all the detail: www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

      Bob, WB4APR
    • Lee
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2009
        Hello Bob,

        I am a contester too. It will be hard to devote time to both. The VHF contests are the ones I gear up for and yes I am on or very close to the AT.

        I will be able to help most any weekend with enough lead time but I may not be able to engage with hikers.

        By the way Midlle of July put most Thru-Hikers in N.Va -> Nj, with lots in PA.

        Seems like a great idea !!

        Lee
        kd4gcf

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bruninga " <bruninga@...> wrote:

        > On 18 or 19 July we will attempt the first annual GOlden Packet attempt to relay a packet message all 2000 miles along the Appalachian Trail using 14 temporary APRS or packet. Once the 14 relay teams are in place, and the golden packets have been successsful, then any hiker along the trail can attempt to send messages as well.
        >
        > We need volunteers for the teams.
        > See all the detail: www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
        >
        > Bob, WB4APR

      • Randy McKenzie
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 7:07 PM
          Bob:

          I mentioned this project in my article in the SERA Journal ( South eastern Repeater Association Journal ), maybe it will stir up some interest for you. It will be printed in May.

          Also mentioned the group here...hope that was OK....

          Randy McKenzie
          KK4EJ
          sera.org
          Eagle Scout, Troop 84 Independence VA

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bruninga " <bruninga@...> wrote:

          > On 18 or 19 July we will attempt the first annual GOlden Packet attempt to relay a packet message all 2000 miles along the Appalachian Trail using 14 temporary APRS or packet. Once the 14 relay teams are in place, and the golden packets have been successsful, then any hiker along the trail can attempt to send messages as well.
          >
          > We need volunteers for the teams.
          > See all the detail: www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
          >
          > Bob, WB4APR

        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7 2:05 PM
            Randy,

            > I mentioned this project in my article in the SERA Journal (
            > South eastern Repeater Association Journal ), maybe it will
            > stir up some interest for you. It will be printed in May.

            Can you remind me if this is SE PA or USA, or what state, or
            whatever? Thanks

            And thanks for getting the word out!

            Bob, WB4APR

            > Also mentioned the group here...hope that was OK....
            >
            > Randy McKenzie
            > KK4EJ
            > sera.org
            > Eagle Scout, Troop 84 Independence VA
            >

            > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bruninga "
            > <bruninga@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On 18 or 19 July we will attempt the first annual GOlden
            > Packet attempt to relay a packet message all 2000 miles along
            > the Appalachian Trail using 14 temporary APRS or packet.
            > Once the 14 relay teams are in place, and the golden packets
            > have been successsful, then any hiker along the trail can
            > attempt to send messages as well.
            > >
            > > We need volunteers for the teams.
            > > See all the detail: www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
            > >
            > > Bob, WB4APR

            > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

            > SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGESYahoo! Groups
            Links

          • Randy McKenzie
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9 9:53 AM
              The SERA covers the SE USA.....their purpose is to coordinate repeaters and do a great job of it.

              Maybe some of the packet "heads" in VA, NC, GA etc will hear about this and help out your project....

              The trail crosses White top Mtn, about 100 yards from one of my State Police Comm sites. Ive seen several hikers over the years.

              Randy
              KK4EJ

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...> wrote:

              > Randy,
              > >
              > > I mentioned this project in my article in the SERA Journal (
              > > South eastern Repeater Association Journal ), maybe it will
              > > stir up some interest for you. It will be printed in May.
              >

              > Can you remind me if this is SE PA or USA, or what state, or
              > whatever? Thanks
              >
              > And thanks for getting the word out!
              >
              > Bob, WB4APR
              > >
              > > Also mentioned the group here...hope that was OK....
              > >
              > > Randy McKenzie
              > > KK4EJ
              > > sera.org
              > > Eagle Scout, Troop 84 Independence VA
              > >

              > > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bruninga "
              > > <bruninga@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > On 18 or 19 July we will attempt the first annual GOlden
              > > Packet attempt to relay a packet message all 2000 miles along
              > > the Appalachian Trail using 14 temporary APRS or packet.
              > > Once the 14 relay teams are in place, and the golden packets
              > > have been successsful, then any hiker along the trail can
              > > attempt to send messages as well.
              > > >
              > > > We need volunteers for the teams.
              > > > See all the detail: www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
              > > >
              > > > Bob, WB4APR

              > > Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
              > > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
              > >
              > > Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
              > > http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml
              > >
              > > SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGESYahoo! Groups
              > Links

            • Stephen M. Shearer
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 10 3:41 PM

                From:  > > > 425 DX NEWS < < <  http://www.425dxn.org/monthly/index.html

                3V     - Special event Scout station TS1LYMC (I Love You  My  Country)  will

                         be activated from Tunisia on 12-30 April. Expect activity on  80-10

                         metres CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK and SSTV. QSL to TS1LYMC, 33  Rue  plaine

                         Lune Borj Louzir, Ariana 2073 Tunis, Tunisia.

              • Bob Bruninga
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2012
                  Spread to all East coast Scouting outlets:

                  Appalachian Trail Scouting Operation ON-TARGET Saturday 21 July.

                  This year a team of Ham radio operators will be manning Appalachian Trail
                  mountain tops from Georgia to Maine to participate in the national Scouting
                  Operation ON-TARGET event. This event attempts to signal between troops on
                  mountain tops over distances up to 100 miles using signaling mirrors or
                  flashing light and Ham radio.

                  Although this is a great event out west involving hundreds of scouters and
                  troops, it has not been well manned back east due to shorter distances and
                  smaller mountains. But this year, this will change. With 15 of the highest
                  mountain tops already being manned for the Golden Packet event
                  (http://aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html), this team of hams will also have
                  signaling mirrors to flash at any surrounding troops anywhere that can see
                  the mountain.

                  So even if your troop did not plan to hike to a mountain top, you can still
                  participate by communicating and flashing to these guys already up there.
                  The signaling takes place from 1100 to 1400 on Saturday 21 July. The
                  mountain top teams will be listening on 445.925 MHz simplex. If you want to
                  flash with them, let them know in advance where to look and that you will be
                  participating and then coordinate directly on 445.925 during the event.

                  You can find out their contact info on the above web page which has links to
                  all 15 mountain tops along the way.

                  Thanks

                  Bob Bruninga, WB4APR