RE: [scoutradio] Troop 107 on the air

  • Darryl Wagoner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2001
      Hi,
      It is Universal Time Coordinated. Sometimes called GMT or Zulu, but I
      think
      there is a difference, but I am not sure exactly what. So they will
      be on the air from 7:00 - 8:30 EST.

      I will try to be there, which bands?

      -darryl WA1GON

    • James Mahoney
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2001
        We will be on one of the following JOTA phone frequencies starting around
        7PM EST on Thursday January 25. Hope to hear you there.

        80 meters 3.740 / 3.940 MHz
        40 meters 7.270 MHz
        20 meters 14.290 MHz
        17 meters 18.140 MHz
        15 meters 21.360 MHz
        12 meters 24.960 MHz
        10 meters 28.390 MHz

        73
        Jim Mahoney
        KB3BYU

        On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 06:52:47 -0500 "Darryl Wagoner" <darryl@...>
        writes:
        > Hi,
        > It is Universal Time Coordinated. Sometimes called GMT or Zulu,
        > but I
        > think
        > there is a difference, but I am not sure exactly what. So they will
        > be on the air from 7:00 - 8:30 EST.
        >
        > I will try to be there, which bands?
        >
        > -darryl WA1GON

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • James Mahoney
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2001
          Randy:

          UTC stands for Universal Coordinated Time or what is commonly known as
          Greenwich Mean Time. It is 5 hours ahead of EST so 7:00 PM Thursday EST
          is 00:00 Friday UTC. UTC is used to remove the confusion of different
          time zones and daylight savings time. As long as you know your local
          time in relation to UTC you can set up a sked with anyone in the world
          and know you will both be there at the same time.

          JIm

        • Steve_Boylan@lotus.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2001
            Jim wrote:

            Just about. Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) was the previous international time
            standard. In 1970, the International Telecommunications Union (ITU)
            adopted Coordinated Universal Time as the standard. Needing a Three Letter
            Acronym (TLA) for this standard, the ITU tried to figure out what to use.
            Here's the story from the Web site of the U. S. National Institute of
            Standards and Technology:

            http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/general/misc.htm

            > Why is UTC used as the acronym for Coordinated
            > Universal Time instead of CUT?
            >
            > In 1970 the Coordinated Universal Time system
            > was devised by an international advisory group
            > of technical experts within the International
            > Telecommunication Union (ITU). The ITU felt it
            > was best to designate a single abbreviation for
            > use in all languages in order to minimize
            > confusion. Since unanimous agreement could not
            > be achieved on using either the English word
            > order, CUT, or the French word order, TUC, the
            > acronym UTC was chosen as a compromise.

            There's a lot of information on that site about time, time zones, time
            standards, and other fun stuff. For your reference, the differences
            between UTC and the local time zones in the US are:

            Zone Standard Daylight Savings
            ---- -------- ----------------
            Atlantic UTC - 4 UTC - 3
            Eastern UTC - 5 UTC - 4
            Central UTC - 6 UTC - 5
            Mountain UTC - 7 UTC - 6
            Pacific UTC - 8 UTC - 7
            Alaska UTC - 9 UTC - 8
            Hawaii UTC - 10 UTC - 9

            You can find a nice tables for converting between UTC and local time at the
            U. S. Naval Observatory site at:

            http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/zones.html

            And, of course, there ought to be all kinds of material here for scouts
            needing information for merit badges...

            - - Steve, KE1KF