I remember Goshen

  • n5gui
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2009
      Not that this would relate Amatuer Radio, but recent posts reminded
      me of the time I spent at Goshen.

      Between February 1971 and July 1971 I was in the Army stationed near
      Warrenton, Virginia. During that time I had the honor of serving as
      the Assistant Scoutmaster of a small church sponsored troop.

      We went to Goshen. First two or three days were good. It was very
      different from the Scout camps I had been to during my youth in
      Texas. Also it was different in that I was an adult leader.

      Then it started to rain. Not just any rain, this was major flooding
      over a wide area from a hurricane. I cannot remember the specifics,
      but it could have been Doria in August 1971, but I think more likely
      Agnes in June 1972.

      Many of the camp activities had to be canceled. And as I recall we
      decided to leave a day early. What I remember most vividly was when
      we were told that one troop would be staying a few extra days. The
      community from which they came had been hard hit by the flooding.
      Most of the boys had no homes.

      James
      n5gui