RE: [ScoutRadio] Using the 2010 Jamboree to Promote Amateur Radio

  • Stephen M. Shearer
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 18, 2009
      The (hopefully) attached "K2BSA and you..." flier was used at the 2005
      Jamboree for K2BSA. My boys had a copy that was passed out to our council
      troops. I don't remember where I got a copy before the Jamboree, but I did.
      They were also given out at K2BSA, at the Jamboree. K2BSA has always used
      the Jamboree to promote ham radio. I went to the 1964 (or was it 1965)
      Jamboree and made an effort to visit the station. I wasn't a ham, yet - but
      I still remember it, small as it was then.

      73, Steve WB3LGC
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 18, 2009
        From: "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...>

        > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...> wrote:
        >
        > Yahoo filtered out the mock e-mail adress I used as an example for an e-
        > mail alias forwarder!
        >
        > It was " Troop411 at jambo dot net "

        To those of us that download the messages into Outlook Express, it seemed
        to work okay. Yahoo is a strange critter. One thing it did is that it cut off
        your Email address, as shown above.

        Anyway, short of setting up your own amateur radio satellite station,
        I don't know if there's an easy answer to your question.

        I'll admit that I'm not going, but a friend of mine here from Joplin,
        Ron Metz, KB0CMD, is signed up to represent our District and
        Council at K2BSA. I don't think he's on _here_, but I know he's
        on the 2010 list. So I'll try to get him here to chime in. :-)

        Ray, KB0STN
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 20, 2009
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
          wrote:

          > The APRS system is already set up to be able to send and receive
          > Text Message Emails in real time to/from any APRS radio keypad
          > to/from anywhere in the world directly to the recepient.

          Bob:

          APRS messaging is great. We use it for messages between EOC's here
          in NJ.

          But the specific technology used to send the messages isn't the
          point. It's providing a simple e-mail capability for NON-HAM
          PARENTS who don't know APRS from CW from NTS from DXCC to originate
          the messages in the first place. We need to have a simple method for
          them to get the messages to a local ham in their area to review their
          appropriateness and to get them on their way.

          I used e-mail from the parents in our district to myself to start
          things here locally in 2005. I was suggesting something similar
          nationwide.

          But I have now been told that message handling between K2BSA to the
          individual sub-camps for the final mile has been problemeatic in the
          past. Perhaps the K2BSA staff will make that a priority to solve
          right now. Whether it's APRS, voice nets or something as basic as
          sending a K2BSA staff member on the bus to make a daily drop of the
          written messages at each of the sub-camps post offices, it really
          doesn't matter.

          But unless that is solved quickly, the whole idea of using this a s
          way of making every Scout and their parents aware of Aateur Radio is
          irrelevant.

          73

          Gary, K2GW
        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 20, 2009
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen M. Shearer" <wb3lgc@...>
            wrote:

            > The (hopefully) attached "K2BSA and you..." flier was used at the 2005
            > Jamboree for K2BSA. My boys had a copy that was passed out to our
            council
            > troops. I don't remember where I got a copy before the Jamboree, but
            I did.
            > They were also given out at K2BSA, at the Jamboree.

            The flyer wasn't attached. Look in the files here. Is that the same
            one? How would a parent know whom to contact?

            73

            Gary, K2GW
          • Bob Bruninga
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 21, 2009
              If I could offer some comments regarding Amateur Radio Email at Jamboree:

              > But the specific technology used to send
              > the messages isn't the point. It's
              > providing a simple e-mail capability
              > for NON-HAM PARENTS who don't know APRS
              > from CW from NTS from DXCC to originate
              > the messages in the first place.

              If that is the goal, then I think success has a huge challenge.

              This concept appears to me to be backwards to normal Amateur Radio message experience/preparedness. Amateur radio historically is set up to take messages -from- the scene and deliver them -out- to those back home, not inbound.

              > But I have now been told that message
              > handling between K2BSA to the individual
              > sub-camps for the final mile has been
              > problemeatic in the past.

              Exactly, a flood of "junk" mail from parents to kids who are too busy or probably not interested would be a significant and I fear disappointing challenge. Better to focus on the normal amateur radio process of messages -out- of the area.

              > But unless that is solved quickly, the
              > whole idea of using this as way of making
              > every Scout and their parents aware of
              > Amateur Radio is irrelevant.

              I agree. So I think the way to do this is to not try to do the hardest possible email process (inbound), but to reverse it and do the easiest one (outbound), and the one that exists now without any preparation required. Getting messages -out- of a concentrated situation back to home is the process that amateur radio has always excelled in, because the focus and effort is -at- the end where the dedicated hams are, not spread out all over the country.

              The following two lists compare the issues involved with messaging -from- and -to- Jamboree:

              OUTBOUND using APRS:

              1) The end-to-end process is automatic and exists
              2) Any APRS mobile or HT can send the message
              3) Email delivery to parents is automatic
              4) Requires No support outside of Jamboree
              5) Uses Text Messaging which is very popular with kids
              6) Shows the value of Amateur Radio "at the scene"
              7) Amateur operator is at the point of origination
              8) Needs nothing but individuals at Jamboree to do it
              9) Parents get "value" of hearing from kid
              10) No intrusion into the Jamboree experience from outside

              In other words its there, it exists, it works.

              Now looking at the converse points for the inbound email process, and it is easy to see how the difficulties are nearly insurmountable:

              INBOUND EMAIL:

              1) The process does not yet exist
              2) There is no method of end-delivery
              3) Email delivery to kids is manual
              4) Requires significant support outside of Jamboree
              5) Uses ancient amateur traffic handling methods
              6) Shows the difficulty of messaging -into- a scene
              7) Huge problem of Amateur not at the point of origination
              8) Needs huge undertaking to implement
              9) Kids ascribe less "value" of hearing from parents
              10) Intrudes into the Jamboree experience from outside

              So the path of least resistance and therefore the highest probabilty of success in my opinion is to concentrate on the OUTBOUND direction which Amateur Radio has always provided at the "scene".

              Please ignore my background with APRS. I am not trying to push it. I am just speaking from my experience in Ham radio of generally looking for ways to use what exists to do something useful at special events, and avoiding methods that take a lot of structure and coordination and preparation for success.

              Thanks
              Bob, Wb4APR
            • Mark Phillips
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 21, 2009
                OK, It's about time I put my boots on and jumped in with both feet here.

                I totally disagree that APRS is in any way suitable for email in either
                direction. I'm not trying to put Bob's system down (I've been running it
                in my car for the past 10 years) but it does seem to me to be a square
                peg in a round hole solution.

                Why can you not build a simple AX25/TCPIP network using something like
                JNOS on old PC's? Equip each sub camp with a suitable terminal and let
                the mail flow. You could then forward the emails to the Internet at the
                nearest gateway (there's bound to be Internet on the site somewhere).
                Using something like JNOS means that you can use all your familiar
                Windows tools to create/view messages. As there would be no urgency in
                the emails one wouldn't have to worry about the time it takes to spool
                emails over the network to the central SMTP server.

                The advantage of this is that you can use most any crap you can find and
                are not required to use particular radio equipment or indeed any
                particular frequency.

                In NYC during 9/11 our JNOS system worked flawlessly across 9 different
                sites with email on both directions. I would agree with Bob however in
                that you should only be concerned with outbound mail. The backend
                networking required to deliver messages to remote terminals would be
                very difficult.

                What email address would Billy's mother send her mail to? How would
                Billy even know he has email? How then would Billy get access to his
                mothers email?

                The only practical way this could be done would be for each Jamboree
                participant to register with some central system thus creating their
                account. They would then have to check that account periodicly for mail.

                At least with outbound mail Billy's mother knows he's having a good
                time.

                <GRIN> Not that I've done any of this before or anything </GRIN>

                Mark

                Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                Randolph, NJ
              • Bob Bruninga
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 21, 2009
                  Interesting. I am visiting my inlaws in Fredricksburg VA (only 5 miles form FOrt AP hill and just mentioned the Jamboree (and ham radio) and they said, ... huh? THe jamboree has been moved and is not at AP hill this time? Its been in all the local papers? THey said it was to be down south somewhere maybe tenessee?

                  Now again, this could all be totally uninformed, since they are not scouts, or radio, just locals in the FT AP Hill neighborhood who just concindentely remembering hearing something like that. Is this an illinformed rumor?

                  Bob, WB4APR

> [...]
                  >>
                  >> Thanks
                  >> Bob, Wb4APR

                  >> Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                  >> http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
                  >>
                  >> Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
                  >> http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml
                  >>
                  >> SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGESYahoo! Groups Links
                  >>

                  >--
                  >

                  >Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                  >Randolph, NJ

                  >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                  >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                  >SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGESYahoo! Groups Links

                • Bob Davidson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 21, 2009
                    Hi Bob,
                      The only thing I've seen is on the NCAC web site and it notes that the
                    2010 Jamboree will take place at A.P. Hill, but afterwards they will be
                    held at Goshen Scout Reservation.

                    Vr
                    Bob
                    KB3KOW

                  • n5gui
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 21, 2009
                      In his recent post Bob Bruninga, Wb4APR, makes a well considered
                      case that outgoing traffic (email from Scouts to home) would be much
                      easier to impliment and to maintain. I cannot fault his logic or the
                      validity of his arguments.

                      That said, I would like to offer a counter thought: Just because
                      incoming traffic would be a difficult task and would certainly
                      require significant resources, that does not mean that it is not
                      worth doing.

                      Indeed, are we not, as leaders within the Scouting organization and
                      those who strive for the success of Scouting, trying to teach
                      integrity and character? Speaking for myself, I would rather be an
                      example of "do what is right and worthwhile, even if it is difficult
                      or unpopular" rather than "do only what is easy". I am not much of
                      an example and I seldom think of inspiring word. However, this
                      reminds me of a speech given at Rice University on September 12,
                      1962.

                      "...We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other
                      things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard,
                      because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our
                      energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are
                      willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which
                      we intend to win, and the others, too... "

                      If you do not recognize those as the word of President Kennedy, then
                      I would guess that you are far younger than I. I have had a long
                      time to consider the meaning. I admit that at first I thought it
                      was odd, perhaps even wrong. I would rather think that we should
                      choose to do what is important. To do what is right whether or not
                      is is hard. There does not seem to be a logic in doing something
                      because it is hard to do. Yet, he said it... And later this year
                      the United States will celebrate the 40th anniversary of the
                      accomplishment of the goal he set.

                      Does this in some way relate to the suggestion to establish a system
                      of incomming email to the Jamboree? I really don't know. I would
                      have suggested that the people involved consider the idea on its
                      merits, taking into account the effort and resources needed against
                      the benefits. From that decide if it is worth doing. Then do it,
                      or not as the case may be.

                      Under that logic, the words of Wb4APR would suggest that it is hard
                      to do, therefore not worth doing. Maybe, it should be considered
                      worth doing, to set an example that we choose to do it, not because
                      it is easy, but because it is a goal that will serve to organize and
                      measure the best of our energies and skills.

                      James
                      n5gui
                    • Norm Huber
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 21, 2009
                        Bob Bruninga wrote:

                        > Interesting. I am visiting my inlaws in Fredricksburg VA (only 5 miles
                        > form FOrt AP hill and just mentioned the Jamboree (and ham radio) and
                        > they said, ... huh? THe jamboree has been moved and is not at AP hill
                        > this time? Its been in all the local papers? THey said it was to be down
                        > south somewhere maybe tenessee?
                        >
                        > Now again, this could all be totally uninformed, since they are not
                        > scouts, or radio, just locals in the FT AP Hill neighborhood who just
                        > concindentely remembering hearing something like that. Is this an
                        > illinformed rumor?
                        >
                        > Bob, WB4APR
                        2010 will be the last year at Ft. AP Hill. The Jamboree would have been
                        this year except for the fact that 2010 is the 100th anniversary pf
                        Scouting in the US. The next Jamboree will be moving but I have not
                        heard exactly where. Some have suggested a more central location so
                        western Tn would probably be a decent choice.
                        ----- Norman Huber - N9ZKS - Central Illinois
                        ----- Unit Commissioner / Roundtable Staff / Assistant Scoutmaster
                      • Bob Bruninga
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 21, 2009
                          > I totally disagree that APRS is in any way
                          > suitable for email in either direction.
                          > I'm not trying to put Bob's system down
                          > (I've been running it in my car for 10 years)
                          > but it does seem to me to be a square
                          > peg in a round hole solution.

                          No problem at all. This is a good discussion, and I hope we can discuss all these issues so that we actually do get something working and dont just waste the year talking about what could be done. I absolutley get excited about doing things new and bringing new technology to amateur radio.

                          But I also now have 45 years experience at trying to do just that, and find that it is possbile to do a demo of high tech, but that it takes a HUGE groundswell of enthusiastic support to get it done. On the other hand, a lot of these excellent ideas are exciting, but often just never quite get around to working...

                          So my more sober aproach to amateur radio these days is to plan on the fallback that is guaranteed to work first, and then add other wiz bang on top. SO lets compare what I am suggesting APRS text messaging emails back home, to the AX.25 Network approach. OK, first the APRS implementaion:

                          1) Infrastructure consists of 1 radio and 1 TNC as a digi at camp AP Hill.

                          2) Any Ham Scouter with his APRS HT, hands it to an interested kid, and says "here is ham radio, text an email to your mom". When he hits SEND, and the radio beeps back "MY MESsAGE" showing it was delivered, the job is done. And you explain how it happened.

                          Now lets contrast that with the TCPIP/AX.25 approach. I'll take each proposed step from the email and list all the things that are needed:

                          > 1) Why can you not build....
                          > 2) a simple AX25/TCPIP network
                          > 3) using something like JNOS
                          > 4) on old PC's?
                          > 5) Equip each sub camp...
                          > 6) with a suitable terminal...
                          > 7) and let the mail flow....
                          > 8) then forward the emails to the Internet
                          > 9) at the nearest gateway
                          > 10 (there's bound to be Internet on the site somewhere).
                          > 11) you can use all your familiar Windows tools
                          > 12) to create/view messages.
                          > 13) one wouldn't have to worry about the time
                          > it takes to spool emails over the network
                          > 14) to the central SMTP server.
                          > 15) you can use most any [stuff] you can find
                          > 16) not required to use particular radio equipment
                          > 17) or indeed any particular frequency.

                          And what the kid sees is just another PC application sending email.... that oh by the way might be connected to a radio somewhere.. Though I would absolutely LOVE to see such an in-field applicaiton of amateur radio, if we cannot even field one conventional radio in each subcamp, I just don't see how a full network would get done?

                          > ... I would rather be an example of "do what
                          > is right and worthwhile, even if it is difficult
                          > or unpopular" rather than "do only what is easy".
                          > ... Under that logic, the words of Wb4APR would
                          > suggest that it is hard to do, therefore not
                          > worth doing. Maybe, it should be considered
                          > worth doing, to set an example that we choose to
                          > do it, not because it is easy, but because it is
                          > a goal that will serve to organize and measure
                          > the best of our energies and skills.

                          True. I would so love to see that kind of motivation in AMateur Radio. And it does work many times in local areas where there is a motivated group who takes on the full responsiblity to just get it done...

                          So nothing I am sayning should in any way detract from such noble plans. BUT...

                          *** anyone that has an APRS radio should bring it ***
                          *** and know how to send an email with its keypad ***

                          That's all I am suggesting. You will be AMAZED at the number of people who are "active on APRS" and have no clue how to send a message from their HT or radio. I'm just trying to correct that small piece of the puzzle.

                          Bob, WB4APR

> [...]
                          >>
                          >> Thanks
                          >> Bob, Wb4APR

                          >> Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                          >> http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
                          >>
                          >> Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
                          >> http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml
                          >>
                          >> SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGESYahoo! Groups Links
                          >>

                          >--
                          >

                          >Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                          >Randolph, NJ

                          >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                          >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                          >SCOUTING and AMATEUR RADIO - FUN FOR ALL AGESYahoo! Groups Links

                        • Dale Lamm
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 21, 2009
                            Never been to a Jamboree, but have camped way over a hundred weekends and
                            attended week-long summer camps for nine years. Volume of incoming mail (to
                            summer camp) far outweighed outgoing mail. Mail call was always a high point
                            of the day for Scouts who enjoyed an encouraging word from a parent. When my
                            younger son joined camp staff and was away from home nine weeks a summer,
                            sending mail to him became a pleasure and gave his mom and I comfort. I can
                            still remember stuffing a few loose dollar bills in the envelopes and asking
                            my son to treat someone who looked unhappy to a slushie, on me. Camp
                            staffers don't get paid a whole lot, unless you value life experiences.

                            Isn't there already a procedure in place to distribute snail mail from a
                            Jambo central point to the outlying camps? If I were designing the most cost
                            efficient way to get parental mail to Scouts, it would likely involve an
                            email account at Jambo's post office and a fast printer. Print out the
                            emails (with a proper physical camp address/unit number/whatever in the
                            message body) and distribute them the same way as snail mail. How to get
                            email into Jambo? If no route currently exists, short term rent a BGAN or
                            EVDO terminal or enlist friendly hams to "gateway" the email to another
                            friendly ham on the inside via "ham" RF. Parents could email from their
                            homes to the outside gateway. There must be a dozen ways to get potentially
                            thousands of messages into a temporary city of thousands of people. Shucks,
                            burn them onto a DVD every morning and courier it in from a friendy ham
                            nearby. The hard part is distributing to the individual units. That's why I
                            wondered if there was a Jambo post office already set up to distribute paper
                            mail, making use of what already exists.

                            What's the ham payoff? Giving parents the ability to send an email to their
                            Scout while he is away from home. Print the contents at the Jambo endpoint
                            on paper forms with appropriate ham publicity on the header, just like an
                            RCA Radiogram. Some of the printed messages might eventually be seen by
                            parents when the Scout returns home.
                          • Gary Wilson
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 22, 2009
                              This is a good discussion. But we seem to jumping into the
                              engineering details without first understanding the marketing concept
                              first. So I'm changing the topic name back to the concept we need to
                              agree upon first.

                              Having personally been to a number of national jamborees and looking
                              at the reports of past K2BSA activity there, you can see the
                              following are reasonable averages for the past twenty years. Of the
                              typical 240,000 attendees, staff, day visitors and vendors passing
                              through a BSA National Jamboree, only about 10,000 actually visit the
                              K2BSA exhibit and less than 1,000 sign the visitor log. It's just
                              one of hundreds of things to do at a Jamboree.

                              On the operating side, K2BSA typically makes about 2,000 to 3,000 HF
                              contacts during a Jamboree. It also handles about 2,000 outbound
                              pieces of NTS traffic and takes in about 400 NTS messages to Scouts,
                              Staff and Leaders. Many of these later messages are "How you doing
                              messages", but some are time critical messages such as "We can't come
                              as planned on Monday, but we'll meet you at your troop site on
                              Tuesday at 9AM", etc.

                              Providing an automated way for folks to send outgoing Amateur Radio
                              messages from K2BSA (After they have been reviewed by a ham for
                              appropriateness) as Bob has suggested is a great idea. I hope he
                              works to provide such a set-up to the K2BSA staff.

                              But it doesn't mean that we should ignore our opportunity to place
                              the words "Amateur Radio" in front of the 100,000 Scouts and parents
                              beforehand by setting up a system to facilitate the parent's ability
                              to originate messages to the Jamboree from home. This means making
                              it simple for the parents to start the process after Johnny has
                              left. And since we're going to eventually use the airwaves to send
                              these, it means a licensed ham needs to read the messages before they
                              ever hit RF.

                              When personally not at a Jamboree, I've had good success with giving
                              my personal e-mail address to the parents of Scouts in my council's
                              contingents so they know how to get a message to their sons. What
                              I'm proposing is to expand that idea from the 400 people who learn
                              about Amateur Radio from me to all 35,000 Scouts and their 70,000
                              parents nationwide

                              An e-mail redirector is one way to do it and we might even get the
                              existing ARRL one to handle it. For example when you send an e-mail
                              to k2gw@... it just forwards it to my real e-mail address.
                              Similarly, we could have ARRL forward something such as
                              JamboOH@... for parents in Ohio to the Ohio Section Traffic
                              Manager or his designee for forwarding. By divvying up the work
                              regionally, we can make sure they're handled quickly but also are
                              then able to establish a relationship with the parent to promote
                              Amateur Radio later.

                              Once a ham reviews the message for appropriateness, how they start it
                              on its way to K2BSA is up to them. In my case, I tend to load them
                              onto our local Packet BBS which digitally forwards them to the
                              Virginia NTS Nets for relay to K2BSA.

                              Now to automate things inbound to K2BSA, there should be a discussion
                              between the Virginia Section Traffic Manager to what automated tools
                              might link Virginia NTS and K2BSA together for digital traffic. And
                              K2BSA needs to make sure that the messages get delivered to the sub-
                              camp post office on a daily basis.

                              So do we agree that this opportunity to promote Amateur Radio to very
                              wide audience (much more than the kids at the Jambo) is too a good
                              thing to ignore? If we don't, then all the technical discussion as
                              to how to do it is irrelevant.

                              73

                              Gary Wilson, K2GW
                              ARRL PIO
                            • rahwayflynn
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 22, 2009
                                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...> wrote:

                                > So do we agree that this opportunity to promote Amateur Radio to very
                                > wide audience (much more than the kids at the Jambo) is too a good
                                > thing to ignore? If we don't, then all the technical discussion as
                                > to how to do it is irrelevant.

                                Gary clearly states the question: Is there a need for Amateur Radio in
                                this role? I believe there is, despite the plans of the major
                                carriers to deploy portable cellular and PCS infrastructure.

                                With that in mind, another way to approach this might be to re-visit
                                the Western Union Mailgram product and build a similar functionality.

                                Use the existing ARRL NTS system to send the message via an
                                appropriate amateur data protocol terminating at W2BSA. Addressing
                                could use the scout / adult Name, troop, sub camp number. Place a
                                local printer at W2BSA (laser, high speed). Message is formatted,
                                printed, and delivered to the indicated sub camp via the existing
                                postal system.

                                PS - If you really wanted to go retro, The font HPLHS-Telegram is a
                                very close copy of the font used by the Western Union and RCA
                                radiograms. I have it loaded on a local laser printer, along with
                                facsimile canary yellow paper with the classic Western Union header.

                                Martin W2RWJ
                              • Stephen M. Shearer
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 22, 2009
                                  Gary,
                                  Yes, the same file.
                                  As you can see, it's not aimed at the parents. I gave them out to get the
                                  boys in my council so that they would come and see K2BSA/4. Part of the
                                  challenge for those that made the trip to K2BSA, was finding it. It was
                                  part of the "stamp your passport" program, but it wasn't on the map in 2005
                                  and I don't see it on the (current) 2010 map either, so the boys and adults
                                  that found it, wanted to.

                                  73, Steve

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 22, 2009
                                    Some other things to keep in mind.

                                    1. Sunspot numbers were poor in 2005 and the way things are going... 2010
                                    may not be any better.
                                    2. Many boys do use K2BSA to "phone home" with the help of local hams. The
                                    boys can make a sked in the evening to reserve the time/freq. Not as easy
                                    to set up as sending a radiogram.
                                    3. If you doubled the station visitors (would be nice) then the staff
                                    and/or the station may not be able to handle the number of visitors. Don't
                                    forget the Merit badge midway. Radio MB and License class required a staff
                                    to run them also. If you double the interest, it may also create a (nice)
                                    problem.

                                    No matter what... Keep it Simple and make it Fun.

                                    73, Steve