Scouting at Dayton Hamvention

  • Bill Ragsdale
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
      I organized the booth and Scouting Forum last year at the Dayton
      Hamvention. I'm not able to attend this year and know of no planned
      booth. An essential element to make Scouting work at the Hamvention
      would be for the Dayton area Scouting hams to have a core organizing
      team. We were able to build a scattered, five person team last year
      but needed local contacts. The local Council helped but we were
      unable to develop the local support working from afar (California).
      The total exhibit cost runs about $650 (booth, handouts, support
      items) so a funding source would help.

      Next year will be the Centennial Year of US Scouting so a booth would
      be quite appropriate.

      In any case, I suggest wearing the Scout uniform as many hams came by
      our booth in uniform.

      Bill Ragsdale K6KN
      Trustee W6BSA

      <<<
      Has anyone set up a presence at Dayton this year?
      I will be there from Thursday afternoon on. Will be attending the DX
      dinner Friday night, and the Bicycle Mobile Hams of America bike ride
      Saturday afternoon as well as their forum Sunday morning. Should I
      pack a Scout uniform? Would be glad to spend a bit of time at the
      booth if it were to exist.

      Norman Huber - N9ZKS - Central Illinois

    • Dale Lamm
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
        Bill (and other interested Scouters),

        Would it be reasonable to approach ARRL for use of a table within their
        area?

        Dale NX8J (one of the group from 2008)

        [snip]

        I organized the booth and Scouting Forum last year at the Dayton
        Hamvention. I'm not able to attend this year and know of no planned
        booth. An essential element to make Scouting work at the Hamvention
        would be for the Dayton area Scouting hams to have a core organizing
        team. We were able to build a scattered, five person team last year
        but needed local contacts. The local Council helped but we were
        unable to develop the local support working from afar (California).
        The total exhibit cost runs about $650 (booth, handouts, support
        items) so a funding source would help.

        Next year will be the Centennial Year of US Scouting so a booth would
        be quite appropriate.

        In any case, I suggest wearing the Scout uniform as many hams came by
        our booth in uniform.

        Bill Ragsdale K6KN
        Trustee W6BSA

        [end]
      • Matt Murphy
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19, 2009
          That is a good question Dale. I would like to try getting a hold of
          the member of the local council that was on the Hamvention staff last
          year. Anyone remember his name?

          Matthew, kc8bew

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Lamm" <DaleLamm@...> wrote:

          > Bill (and other interested Scouters),
          >
          > Would it be reasonable to approach ARRL for use of a table within their
          > area?
          >
          > Dale NX8J (one of the group from 2008)
        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2009
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <matt.kc8bew@...>
            wrote:

            > That is a good question Dale. I would like to try getting a hold of
            > the member of the local council that was on the Hamvention staff last
            > year. Anyone remember his name?

            Matt:

            If getting a free booth doesn't work, would it make ssens to have a
            table next to or part of the youth activities table in the ARRL area?

            73

            Gary, K2GW
          • Norm Huber
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 21, 2009
              Gary Wilson wrote:

              > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ScoutRadio%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "Matt Murphy" <matt.kc8bew@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > That is a good question Dale. I would like to try getting a hold of
              > > the member of the local council that was on the Hamvention staff last
              > > year. Anyone remember his name?

              I just sent an email to the activities chairman at Miami Vally Council.
              Perhaps we will get a reply.

              ----- Norman Huber - N9ZKS - Central Illinois
              ----- Unit Commissioner / Roundtable Staff / Assistant Scoutmaster