Re: US Jamboree 2010

  • n5gui
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2009
      Gentlemen:

      I beg the pardon of each of you for the topic that I am about to
      bring to your attention.

      The following is a quote from a recent post:

      "I need someone on the inside to "grease" me on in!"

      Is THIS the kind of example that should be set for Scouting in the
      Twenty-first Century? Call it by any name: cronyism, good ole' boy
      network, favoritism, solicitation of a bribe...

      I can just imagine a young Scout standing in front of a Leader.
      What can then be said about fair play. Who would be expected to
      believe he will be fairly judged on his own abilities and
      accomplishments instead of who owes whom what favor?

      This may be the way the world actually runs. I am not naive about
      that. I am in my fortieth year dealing with the US Military and
      somewhat less experienced with Corporate America. I have some fresh
      wounds to add to my "bureaucratic battle scars from the unending war
      against the system". I do not wish to waste any of your time trying
      to say that it is not business as usual, or even that what I have to
      say will in any way change the world.

      I am going to say this is wrong. More importantly, it is the wrong
      example to set as leaders in Scouting. I feel so strongly about the
      issue that I believe that to be silent is to condone, and to
      encourage this bad behavior.

      If this is the wrong message to post on this list, I apologize in
      advance. I do not wish to insult anyone or to hurt anyone's
      feelings. I respect that others may hold different views and are
      welcome to tell me so.

      James
      n5gui

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@...> wrote:

      > Radio amateurs interest in staff positions at the 2010 Centennial
      > Jamboree should apply on line NOW at http://www.bsajamboree.org/
      >
      > The opportunities are ham station K2BSA, radio merit badge,
      > electronics merit badge, FM station KBSA and possibly as a
      > communication officer in each sub camp. I'm not sure if that
      latter
      > position is in the current plan.
      >
      > The starting point is to file an electronic application at the
      above
      > site paying $100, $50 is refundable. Your application will be
      reviewed
      > at your local council and then circulated to the activity areas.
      They
      > are now accepting into these staff position.
      >
      > I'll be with K2BSA. See you at the Hill
      >
      > Bill Ragsdale K6KN

    • Matt Murphy
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2009
        I applied for K2BSA staff several weeks ago. I received my appointment letter today via email.  My dad is still waiting for word.  BTW: your council office will get a copy as well.

        73,
        Matt Murphy, kc8bew
        http://mcares.kc8bew.net
        Muskingum Co. ARES EC
      • wjdeegan
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 2009
          Team, I have created a Yahoo Groups site called K2BSA_2010_Team that
          can be used as a meeting point for the staff and other volunteers
          supporting the K2BSA operation, Radio merit badge, VE activities and
          other related events at the 2010 Jamboree.

          I've uploaded several files pertaining to the 2010 Jamboree and some
          historical information from 2005.

          All involved are cordially invited to join.

          YiS de K9XT

          ---