Re: US Jamboree 2010

  • Leland
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2009
      Curtis and the group,
      I too had my application complete and had already received my 2010
      staff patch last year(08). I e-mailed the previous K2BSA chiefs and
      was directed to contact national. I got a cordial reply from
      national that my plea would be forwarded to the unnamed current
      director. All I am looking for now is a confirmation from our
      program director that my application is being considered. Nobody
      enjoys being left hanging for months. My family will be in Dallas
      the weekend of 11 April for the Lonestar Volleyball Tournament and I
      could volunteer to come in and help get out notifications if it would
      help. I will be monitoring our K5TIT D-Star machine on the HT.
      Also, our council filled out its troop before Thanksgiving. We had
      six young men compete for the one position of Third Assistant
      Scoutmaster; the only opening in the 18-26 bracket. Expect to hang
      tough because the competition will be.
      Hoping to see you at the Hill, Leland N5DGH

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, ki4fus@... wrote:

      > Hey you guys! I have already applied several months ago and still
      have not heard anything definite back yet! I wanna do it too! I sent
      a letter to the Director and he sent me back a patch (I had already
      paid/applied for K2BSA,etc,)to put on my uniform. I need someone on
      the inside to "grease" me on in!HELP!
      > Hopefully I can also say"see you on the hill" soon.
      >
      > Leading Scouts into the twenty-first century
      > Curtis W. Jennings
      > ASM T-7 Auburn, Alabama
      > UC Saugahatchee District
      > Scouting for food chairperson
      > Woodbadge Staff(troop guide)SR-942
      > ASM NYLT staff Chatahoochie Council
    • n5gui
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2009
        Gentlemen:

        I beg the pardon of each of you for the topic that I am about to
        bring to your attention.

        The following is a quote from a recent post:

        "I need someone on the inside to "grease" me on in!"

        Is THIS the kind of example that should be set for Scouting in the
        Twenty-first Century? Call it by any name: cronyism, good ole' boy
        network, favoritism, solicitation of a bribe...

        I can just imagine a young Scout standing in front of a Leader.
        What can then be said about fair play. Who would be expected to
        believe he will be fairly judged on his own abilities and
        accomplishments instead of who owes whom what favor?

        This may be the way the world actually runs. I am not naive about
        that. I am in my fortieth year dealing with the US Military and
        somewhat less experienced with Corporate America. I have some fresh
        wounds to add to my "bureaucratic battle scars from the unending war
        against the system". I do not wish to waste any of your time trying
        to say that it is not business as usual, or even that what I have to
        say will in any way change the world.

        I am going to say this is wrong. More importantly, it is the wrong
        example to set as leaders in Scouting. I feel so strongly about the
        issue that I believe that to be silent is to condone, and to
        encourage this bad behavior.

        If this is the wrong message to post on this list, I apologize in
        advance. I do not wish to insult anyone or to hurt anyone's
        feelings. I respect that others may hold different views and are
        welcome to tell me so.

        James
        n5gui

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@...> wrote:

        > Radio amateurs interest in staff positions at the 2010 Centennial
        > Jamboree should apply on line NOW at http://www.bsajamboree.org/
        >
        > The opportunities are ham station K2BSA, radio merit badge,
        > electronics merit badge, FM station KBSA and possibly as a
        > communication officer in each sub camp. I'm not sure if that
        latter
        > position is in the current plan.
        >
        > The starting point is to file an electronic application at the
        above
        > site paying $100, $50 is refundable. Your application will be
        reviewed
        > at your local council and then circulated to the activity areas.
        They
        > are now accepting into these staff position.
        >
        > I'll be with K2BSA. See you at the Hill
        >
        > Bill Ragsdale K6KN

      • Matt Murphy
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13, 2009
          I applied for K2BSA staff several weeks ago. I received my appointment letter today via email.  My dad is still waiting for word.  BTW: your council office will get a copy as well.

          73,
          Matt Murphy, kc8bew
          http://mcares.kc8bew.net
          Muskingum Co. ARES EC
        • wjdeegan
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 21, 2009
            Team, I have created a Yahoo Groups site called K2BSA_2010_Team that
            can be used as a meeting point for the staff and other volunteers
            supporting the K2BSA operation, Radio merit badge, VE activities and
            other related events at the 2010 Jamboree.

            I've uploaded several files pertaining to the 2010 Jamboree and some
            historical information from 2005.

            All involved are cordially invited to join.

            YiS de K9XT

            ---