Re: [ScoutRadio] US Jamboree 2010

  • Nathaniel Frissell
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2009
      Hi, Bill, Bill, Curtis, and others,

      My application is all in now, too... so I'll just wait and see!  I'm really looking forward to it.

      73 de Nathaniel

      On Feb 12, 2009, at 9:18 PM, ki4fus@... wrote:

      Hey you guys! I have already applied several months ago and still have not heard anything definite back yet! I wanna do it too! I sent a letter to the Director and he sent me back a patch (I had already paid/applied for K2BSA,etc,)to put on my uniform. I need someone on the inside to "grease" me on in!HELP!
      Hopefully I can also say"see you on the hill" soon.

      Leading Scouts into the twenty-first century
      Curtis W. Jennings
      ASM T-7 Auburn, Alabama
      UC Saugahatchee District
      Scouting for food chairperson
      Woodbadge Staff(troop guide)SR-942
      ASM NYLT staff Chatahoochie Council
      -------------- Original message from Gene Santoski <radiofreq59@...>: --------------

      Hi Bill!

      Well - I applied last week on MyScouting website.  If accepted, this will be my 6th time on the K2BSA Jamboree staff!!

      Hope to CU there!

      73, Gene K9UTQ

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2009
        Curtis and the group,
        I too had my application complete and had already received my 2010
        staff patch last year(08). I e-mailed the previous K2BSA chiefs and
        was directed to contact national. I got a cordial reply from
        national that my plea would be forwarded to the unnamed current
        director. All I am looking for now is a confirmation from our
        program director that my application is being considered. Nobody
        enjoys being left hanging for months. My family will be in Dallas
        the weekend of 11 April for the Lonestar Volleyball Tournament and I
        could volunteer to come in and help get out notifications if it would
        help. I will be monitoring our K5TIT D-Star machine on the HT.
        Also, our council filled out its troop before Thanksgiving. We had
        six young men compete for the one position of Third Assistant
        Scoutmaster; the only opening in the 18-26 bracket. Expect to hang
        tough because the competition will be.
        Hoping to see you at the Hill, Leland N5DGH

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, ki4fus@... wrote:

        > Hey you guys! I have already applied several months ago and still
        have not heard anything definite back yet! I wanna do it too! I sent
        a letter to the Director and he sent me back a patch (I had already
        paid/applied for K2BSA,etc,)to put on my uniform. I need someone on
        the inside to "grease" me on in!HELP!
        > Hopefully I can also say"see you on the hill" soon.
        >
        > Leading Scouts into the twenty-first century
        > Curtis W. Jennings
        > ASM T-7 Auburn, Alabama
        > UC Saugahatchee District
        > Scouting for food chairperson
        > Woodbadge Staff(troop guide)SR-942
        > ASM NYLT staff Chatahoochie Council
      • n5gui
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13, 2009
          Gentlemen:

          I beg the pardon of each of you for the topic that I am about to
          bring to your attention.

          The following is a quote from a recent post:

          "I need someone on the inside to "grease" me on in!"

          Is THIS the kind of example that should be set for Scouting in the
          Twenty-first Century? Call it by any name: cronyism, good ole' boy
          network, favoritism, solicitation of a bribe...

          I can just imagine a young Scout standing in front of a Leader.
          What can then be said about fair play. Who would be expected to
          believe he will be fairly judged on his own abilities and
          accomplishments instead of who owes whom what favor?

          This may be the way the world actually runs. I am not naive about
          that. I am in my fortieth year dealing with the US Military and
          somewhat less experienced with Corporate America. I have some fresh
          wounds to add to my "bureaucratic battle scars from the unending war
          against the system". I do not wish to waste any of your time trying
          to say that it is not business as usual, or even that what I have to
          say will in any way change the world.

          I am going to say this is wrong. More importantly, it is the wrong
          example to set as leaders in Scouting. I feel so strongly about the
          issue that I believe that to be silent is to condone, and to
          encourage this bad behavior.

          If this is the wrong message to post on this list, I apologize in
          advance. I do not wish to insult anyone or to hurt anyone's
          feelings. I respect that others may hold different views and are
          welcome to tell me so.

          James
          n5gui

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@...> wrote:

          > Radio amateurs interest in staff positions at the 2010 Centennial
          > Jamboree should apply on line NOW at http://www.bsajamboree.org/
          >
          > The opportunities are ham station K2BSA, radio merit badge,
          > electronics merit badge, FM station KBSA and possibly as a
          > communication officer in each sub camp. I'm not sure if that
          latter
          > position is in the current plan.
          >
          > The starting point is to file an electronic application at the
          above
          > site paying $100, $50 is refundable. Your application will be
          reviewed
          > at your local council and then circulated to the activity areas.
          They
          > are now accepting into these staff position.
          >
          > I'll be with K2BSA. See you at the Hill
          >
          > Bill Ragsdale K6KN

        • Matt Murphy
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2009
            I applied for K2BSA staff several weeks ago. I received my appointment letter today via email.  My dad is still waiting for word.  BTW: your council office will get a copy as well.

            73,
            Matt Murphy, kc8bew
            http://mcares.kc8bew.net
            Muskingum Co. ARES EC
          • wjdeegan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 21, 2009
              Team, I have created a Yahoo Groups site called K2BSA_2010_Team that
              can be used as a meeting point for the staff and other volunteers
              supporting the K2BSA operation, Radio merit badge, VE activities and
              other related events at the 2010 Jamboree.

              I've uploaded several files pertaining to the 2010 Jamboree and some
              historical information from 2005.

              All involved are cordially invited to join.

              YiS de K9XT

              ---