Re: [scoutradio] radio at winter camp

  • James Mahoney
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2001
      Jeff:

      I've been trying to do some amateur radio missionary work with my troop
      as well. I just recently upgraded to my General license so most of my
      experience has been as a Technician but the same principles apply. By
      all means publish your frequencies an operating times to this list. This
      will increase your chances of getting some scouters to respond to you who
      will be able to engage the boys in scout related conversation. Secondly
      find the repeater that is local to where you will be camping and take a 2
      meter radio along. If the HF bands are dead for some reason you will
      still have local hams on the repeater who will be eager to talk with the
      boys. We did this at a Jambo 2 years ago and the conversations were
      really great. In addition to radio and scouting, the hams talked about
      their other hobbies and interests with the boys, demonstrating what well
      rounder individuals hams really are. Finally, the autopatch is always a
      crowd pleaser. Good luck

      Jim Mahoney
      KB3BYU
      ASM troop 107 Alentown, PA

      On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:20:27 -0000 jeffhburns@... writes:
      > I am contemplating taking my new HF rig to the upcoming Boy Scout
      > winter camp. I have only been on the HF bands for a few months now,
      >
      > but have been a Scouter for years. I am wandering how to make radio
      > fun for scouts. I have seen several suggestions for JOTA events, but
      >
      > his camp will be different. First, radio will just be a small add
      > on.
      > Second, it will be COLD! Third, there will not be thousands of other
      >
      > scouts on the air that weekend.
      >
      > Should I just get a few scouts around the radio, call CQ, and see
      > what
      > happens? If I publicize my anticipated operating times and
      > frequencies
      > can I expect more contacts? How should I get the boys involved?
      >
      > Jeff
      > AD9T

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.