Maine activiites

  • ray@sirois.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2001
      Good to have the info on National Jamboree. Thanks.
      We'll be working you from here in Maine as WJ0TA /1

      Some news from here in Maine:

      This past fall I was asked to teach at an annual
      "merit badge college" ... basically a night per week
      for four weeks... and there are several different
      merit badge offerings.
      As an experiment, I offered Radio Merit Badge with the
      understanding that we'd also be going for Technician
      Class licenses, and that Dad's or Mom's were highly
      encouraged to go for it with their son's.

      We got 7 boys and 6 Dads!... We carried over a
      few extra nights+an all day affair for JOTA weekend.

      So far, the course netted 4 new hams (2 dads+2 scouts).
      and most all the scouts got their merit badge. The others
      are hams just about ready to be born.

      Its a great thing to do for Scouts and Dads... for all
      kinds of reasons. Its something they can enjoy
      together, and it helps financially to have the Dad
      into it also.

      Congrats to:
      KB1YFO - Del Cass
      KB1YFP - Dana Baer
      KB1YFQ - Andrew Baer
      KB1YFR - Alex French

      Antennas, power supplies etc are being donated
      to get them on the air, and we also had a special
      VE session for the course attendees.

      A club callsign has been issued: WJ0TA ...
      For all these scouts, dads, VE's, and donors.
      ((No web page yet))
      ... another course is scheduled for this Spring.

      We also show up at Camp Hinds (Raymond ME)
      one night per week to do some HF and introduction
      to the hobby with the boys who are there for one
      week stints all summer long. (ARRL Section Mgr
      N1KAT and I do this.)

      Without a Novice class, my findings are that
      motivated 12+ year olds can handle the Technician
      Class license... and online tests (like those at QRZ.com)
      are the best thing to help them out.... besides an
      enthusiastic instructor.

      Basically the experiment to see if the course
      format as described would work... It did... I consider
      it a big success... recommended for other communities.

      Building relationships with the Scouts and their Dads,
      the educational benefits, all the benefits of emergency
      preparedness, and community service make Scouting
      and Amatuer Radio go together extremely well.
      We gotta do more with this!

      73 N1RY - Ray Sirois