FW: [WeLCARS] Palmdale, CA Proposed Ordinance Re: [ScoutRadio] Digest Number1178

  • Joe Serocki
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2008

      FYI

      Joe Serocki

      From: WeLCARS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WeLCARS@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark
      Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:40 PM
      To: WeLCARS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [WeLCARS] Palmdale, CA Proposed Ordinance Re: [ScoutRadio] Digest Number1178

      N9FAA contacted me as well.

      I did some research & learned he doesn't live in or near Palmdale,
      CA, but instead Acton, CA.

      He has brought up this issue on a number of internet groups and is
      apparently using the internet to try to stir things up for what
      reason know one knows.

      The amateurs of Palmdale, CA are handling this issue and have said
      they do not need his help.

      The only interesting thing N9FAA told me is that his deceased father
      apparently patented the cordless phone in 1966.

      73, Mark, WB9QZB

      --- In WeLCARS@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Serocki" <joeserocki@...> wrote:

      > I normally don't post here, but this thread touched a nerve. If
      any of you
      > are offended, don't bother with flaming email or postings, I am
      not here to
      > make friends of the like that will be offended by what I am
      saying.I would
      > rather see this post trigger constructive conversation.
      >

      > While I totally agree with the statement that the FCC and not some
      vigilante
      > group (as I see it) needs to enforce proper radio communications,
      I really
      > think this is not being handled in the right way. In my humble
      opinion, the
      > right way is the positive way, creating a win-win situation for
      both the
      > hams and the non-ham community.
      >

      > Ham Radio 'RIGHTS' you say? What have the hams of Palmdale done to
      deserve
      > these 'rights' to operate huge transmitters that can cause harmful
      > interference with the rest of the community (no matter how lousy
      the design
      > of the Chinese receivers are, they are also FCC certified where ham
      > equipment is not)? What benefit have hams provided to the
      community of
      > Palmdale? I know we are protected by law and FCC rules, but let me
      try this
      > one on for size: Is not ham radio still defined and based around
      being a
      > service? With large aerospace companies like Lockheed Martin,
      Boeing, and
      > Northrop Grumman I am sure there are plenty of hams that live in
      the area,
      > and can provide a valuable community resource!
      >

      > At least here we don't have these issues. We have towers, we have
      government
      > provided meeting places, we have KW systems on 6m (right in the
      middle of
      > the lower TV channels) and KW systems on 2m and 440 (right in the
      middle of
      > the cable channels), yet we have support of the Village and
      support of the
      > community.
      >

      > Why?
      >

      > Because we participate in the community.
      >

      > . We offer Ham Radio and technology classes for youth and
      adults.

      > . We offer regular Merit Badge sessions for Scouts on
      Electricity,
      > Electronics and Radio, working directly with all local Boy Scout
      Councils.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
        Why is it that folks seem to think that they have stick their noses
        where they are not needed??
        I thought it was something like this. The best thing he could do then is
        to stay out of the issue
        and let the hams in their community take care of it. It sound like, from
        what I have read, that the
        hams there have a real good handle on the whole thing considering the
        ARRL know about what's
        going on.

        73, Bill, W2BSA

        Joe Serocki wrote:

        > FYI
        >

        > Joe Serocki

      • D.G.
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008

          12-14-2008 update on Palmdale ham radio ban

          N9FAA