Re: [ScoutRadio] Antenna zoning issues

  • Bill Stewart - W2BSA
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008
      Yes, I believe so, which was my original point. The State of California depends on Ham Radio
      just like they do Volunteer Fire Fighters. The EMCOMM folks there have provided the Ham radio
      folks, who wish to volunteer, the same training the paid folks get. They often go into emergency operations
      centers there and take a shift to give the paid folks a break and get some rest, etc. They also often become the eyes
      and ears in the field for the State and local government and this is in addition to their support of shelters and food canteens
      in an emergency. So, I don't get why some of these communities do some of this craziness.

      73

      Mark Phillips wrote:

      Isn't CA a PRB-1 State?

      This alone would win your case. As stated below, pointing out that the
      State has pre-empted the Town in this matter should cause you a win.

      However, just because the PRB-1 bill states that planners must "make
      reasonable accomodations" to your antenna requests doesn't mean you'll
      actually get them. They *could* allow antennas and towers etc of no
      more than 5 feet. What's reasonable to you is not always reasonable to
      them.

      --

      Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
      Randolph, NJ

    • D.G.
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008

        REF: Palmdale City Zoning Law Smacks Radio Amateurs

        I hope you will pass around the attached zoning law (draft) that proposes an enforcement unit that could seize amateur radio equipment and restrict antenna height to one inch above a fixed structure's roof.  This is a City of Palmdale draft.

        Please pass around to your ham community friends.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008
          REF:  Federal lawsuit over antenna zoning

          I am working on the makings of a complaint for the federal court.

          I will get the litigation engine started here.

          A new YouTube account has been set-up to serve as a clearinghouse for this lawsuit.

          Thanks.

        • ki4fus@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008

            The ARRL regulatory people are very aware of this developing legal issue.

            I also encourage all hams involved to work in coordination with their Section manager and Director.  The two PR things you do NOT want to do are

            (a) have someone go off half-cocked and end up looking foolish  (b) get into a general debate with citizens about if antennas look good or bad.

            It is a legal issue and needs to be handled that way.

            Allen G Pitts, W1AGP

            Media & PR Manager

            ARRL - the national association for Amateur Radio

            225 Main St.    Newington    CT     06111

            (860)  594-0328

            apitts@...

            -------------- Original message from "D.G." <indianaj0nes@...>: --------------

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008

              OK, fair enough.

              This is the new You Tube site dedicated to the Palmdale debacle (N9FAA - me):

              This the City of Palmdale You Tube site:

              This is the message I sent to the City of Palmdale You Tube administrator.

              REF: Proposed zoning ordinance against ham radio antennas

              I have started a dedicated You Tube account to broadcast the progress of the zoning oridance proposal that bans ham radio antennas in Palmdale.

              One of the videos had 400 hits (yesterday), primarily members of the radio amateur community, worldwide.  We have moved the videos to this new, dedicated site.  I plan to aggressively market these videos via news groups and mail servers to the ham radio community (750,000 in the United States).

              Offers are pouring in to help finance a legal attack on this ordinance.  I suggest you speak with the City Council about the negative impact this ordinance will have in the eyes of the ham radio community.

              Thank you.

              David Sweigert, N9FAA

              Son of George H. Sweigert, W8ZIS, Inventor of the cordless phone