Re: [ScoutRadio] Antenna zoning issues

  • D.G.
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2008

      Thanks, we have gotten the ARRL involved.

      73

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008
        Great you have all of our support. Make sure that you mobilize all of the hams in the Palmdale area
        and show up at the public hearing IN MASSE. State your case clearly and concisely. We have had similar
        problems in several Counties here in Virginia even after Virginia passed one of the most concise and pro
        amateur radio antenna laws in the country. Once these Counties were informed that they were in violation
        of State and Federal Law they changed their tune very quickly.

        73

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008
          Isn't CA a PRB-1 State?

          This alone would win your case. As stated below, pointing out that the
          State has pre-empted the Town in this matter should cause you a win.

          However, just because the PRB-1 bill states that planners must "make
          reasonable accomodations" to your antenna requests doesn't mean you'll
          actually get them. They *could* allow antennas and towers etc of no
          more than 5 feet. What's reasonable to you is not always reasonable to
          them.

          --

          Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
          Randolph, NJ
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008
            Yes, I believe so, which was my original point. The State of California depends on Ham Radio
            just like they do Volunteer Fire Fighters. The EMCOMM folks there have provided the Ham radio
            folks, who wish to volunteer, the same training the paid folks get. They often go into emergency operations
            centers there and take a shift to give the paid folks a break and get some rest, etc. They also often become the eyes
            and ears in the field for the State and local government and this is in addition to their support of shelters and food canteens
            in an emergency. So, I don't get why some of these communities do some of this craziness.

            73

            --

            Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
            Randolph, NJ

          • D.G.
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008

              REF: Palmdale City Zoning Law Smacks Radio Amateurs

              I hope you will pass around the attached zoning law (draft) that proposes an enforcement unit that could seize amateur radio equipment and restrict antenna height to one inch above a fixed structure's roof.  This is a City of Palmdale draft.

              Please pass around to your ham community friends.

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008
                REF:  Federal lawsuit over antenna zoning

                I am working on the makings of a complaint for the federal court.

                I will get the litigation engine started here.

                A new YouTube account has been set-up to serve as a clearinghouse for this lawsuit.

                Thanks.

              • ki4fus@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008

                  The ARRL regulatory people are very aware of this developing legal issue.

                  I also encourage all hams involved to work in coordination with their Section manager and Director.  The two PR things you do NOT want to do are

                  (a) have someone go off half-cocked and end up looking foolish  (b) get into a general debate with citizens about if antennas look good or bad.

                  It is a legal issue and needs to be handled that way.

                  Allen G Pitts, W1AGP

                  Media & PR Manager

                  ARRL - the national association for Amateur Radio

                  225 Main St.    Newington    CT     06111

                  (860)  594-0328

                  apitts@...

                  -------------- Original message from "D.G." <indianaj0nes@...>: --------------

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 10, 2008

                    OK, fair enough.

                    This is the new You Tube site dedicated to the Palmdale debacle (N9FAA - me):

                    This the City of Palmdale You Tube site:

                    This is the message I sent to the City of Palmdale You Tube administrator.

                    REF: Proposed zoning ordinance against ham radio antennas

                    I have started a dedicated You Tube account to broadcast the progress of the zoning oridance proposal that bans ham radio antennas in Palmdale.

                    One of the videos had 400 hits (yesterday), primarily members of the radio amateur community, worldwide.  We have moved the videos to this new, dedicated site.  I plan to aggressively market these videos via news groups and mail servers to the ham radio community (750,000 in the United States).

                    Offers are pouring in to help finance a legal attack on this ordinance.  I suggest you speak with the City Council about the negative impact this ordinance will have in the eyes of the ham radio community.

                    Thank you.

                    David Sweigert, N9FAA

                    Son of George H. Sweigert, W8ZIS, Inventor of the cordless phone