Scout Contacts needed for Merit Badge College -- Update.

  • n5hyp
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2008
      Hello all,

      Thanks to those of you who have responded so far to working schedules
      and contacts for the Irving, TX Merit Badge College Radio Merit Badge
      class which takes place on the 13th of December, 2008.

      I received e-mails from several Scouters in Alabama concerning setting
      up HF contacts and a Leader in Midland/Odessa, TX about an IRLP contact.

      Again I figure we will hit the air around 1800Z on the 13th, Noon
      Central Time. Call used will be the Irving Amateur Radio Club call
      WA5CKF, on both HF and IRLP. We will hang out around the Scout
      frequencies on 40 and 20 meters and try and call the stations that have
      expressed interest and do general CQs as well.

      On IRLP I have decided on an idea that will make it easy for all to
      participate. I will be using a local IRLP repeater but connecting to
      the Dallas "Lone Star Reflector" Channel 8 which is Node 9458 and will
      encourage anyone who wants to connect using IRLP to connect to that
      same reflector node. That way we will miss no one and everyone can
      have a chance to chat. I have sent out requests to node owners in
      Canada, England, South Africa and the US asking if they would be
      willing to help out the cause by providing conversation to our Scouts.

      Please talk this up with other Radio Scouters and hopefully we can
      light up the bands with some interesting conversation between Scouts,
      Scouters and interested Hams near and far.

      Again, you are free to either respond to this post or directly to my
      n5hyp@... address.

      73, God Bless and Good Scouting.

      Tom Schuessler, N5HYP
    • n5hyp
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2008
        Thanks to those who offered to participate. We ended up with 5 boys
        and it was a good learning experience for all. The biggest
        disappointment for me was that with all the planning and prep work to
        get contacts lined up, we were not able to make connections with any
        of the presets. Also disappointing was the failure of the local IRLP
        node that we were to make some international contacts. 2 hours after
        I got back home, I did a general CQ and wouldn't you know it, talked
        to a group of Scouts in PA. Could have used that a few hours
        before. Oh well, that is how the ionosphere bounces.

        I suspect we will be doing this event again next year and hope to get
        on the air with some of you.

        God Bless,

        Tom Schuessler
        N5HYP

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "n5hyp" <tjschuessler@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Thanks to those of you who have responded so far to working
        schedules
        > and contacts for the Irving, TX Merit Badge College Radio Merit
        Badge
        > class which takes place on the 13th of December, 2008.
        >
        > I received e-mails from several Scouters in Alabama concerning
        setting
        > up HF contacts and a Leader in Midland/Odessa, TX about an IRLP
        contact.

        > Again I figure we will hit the air around 1800Z on the 13th, Noon
        > Central Time. Call used will be the Irving Amateur Radio Club call
        > WA5CKF, on both HF and IRLP. We will hang out around the Scout
        > frequencies on 40 and 20 meters and try and call the stations that
        have
        > expressed interest and do general CQs as well.
        >
        > On IRLP I have decided on an idea that will make it easy for all to
        > participate. I will be using a local IRLP repeater but connecting
        > the Dallas "Lone Star Reflector" Channel 8 which is Node 9458 and
        will
        > encourage anyone who wants to connect using IRLP to connect to that
        > same reflector node. That way we will miss no one and everyone can
        > have a chance to chat. I have sent out requests to node owners in
        > Canada, England, South Africa and the US asking if they would be
        > willing to help out the cause by providing conversation to our
        Scouts.

        > Please talk this up with other Radio Scouters and hopefully we can
        > light up the bands with some interesting conversation between
        Scouts,
        > Scouters and interested Hams near and far.
        >
        > Again, you are free to either respond to this post or directly to
        my
        > n5hyp@... address.
        >
        > 73, God Bless and Good Scouting.
        >
        > Tom Schuessler, N5HYP

      • Dale Lamm
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2008
          [snip]

          The biggest disappointment for me was that with all the planning and prep
          work to get contacts lined up, we were not able to make connections with any
          of the presets.

          [end snip]

          Done the ham demo with Scouts many times. Skeds seldom worked for me.

          Best results came after "CQ from Scout camp in Ohio" or "CQ to any BSA
          groups".

          There are many hams with a Scouting background out there, as well as good
          hams willing to talk with young people exploring the hobby.

          73 de NX8J
        • n5hyp
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 2008
            I had to give a try and had success recruiting some international
            contacts via IRLP. Yes the CQ does work and I made up for the loss
            of the IRLP route with a good ol; HF CQ.