Re: Scout radio in CB

  • Luis Bronzini
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 20, 2008
      Scott - KD5MHM:
      The situation that has you in the USA with the bad language in CB, we
      have it in Argentina with the 2 meter band.
      Moreover, it can be said that in Argentina, the CB is more "healthy"
      that the band of 2 meters. Each country has its own problems.
      73

      Luis - LU3FS

      P/D:
      Gracias por lo de magnifico pais. Nos falta mucho todavia para llegar
      a esa categoria (Thanks for the wonderful country. We still lack a
      lot to reach this category)

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Johnson \(Scouter Acct\)"
      <scouter@...> wrote:

      > Bill is right. Here in the USA, I can't listen to any Citizen's
      Band channel for 5 minutes without language so foul - well, you
      wouldn't believe it. When I think of the fines that the FCC could
      charge, all day - every day, why, we would not have to pay taxes any
      more.

      > Here in the USA, I often use FRS (Family Radio System) radios to
      teach our Scouts. I don't know if Argentina has a similar service.
      I actively, aggressively discourage Scouts and parents from even
      purchasing a used CB radio and strongly urge them to jump right into
      Amateur Radio. Then I do everything I can to help them get
      their "ticket".

      > I have had no problems with people who have gone straight into ham
      radio - totally bypassing CB - so I would recommend that ham radio be
      demonstrated and don't waste time on CB. CB only SLOWS DOWN getting
      them interested in ham radio, it does not speed them up.

      > I have had demonstrations of HF, for example, and Scouts and
      parents actually cheered when I finally made a difficult contact.
      This seems to have a bigger impact than anything I could possibly do
      with CB. Echolink, talking with another country, also has a big
      impact and promotes big interest in ham radio. IRLP is another that
      has big impact.

      Amateur Radio and you will be rewarded.

      > Su radio aficionado en los Estado Unidos,
      > Scott
      > kd5mhm
      > email me at my callsign at arrl.net for additional ways to get kids
      interested in amatuer radio.
      > (Se habla espanol y he visitado al pais magnifico que se llama
      Argentina...)

      The big problem
      > we have here is that many of the CB'ers don't use any discretion
      regarding what words
      > are used over the air. So, sometimes obscenities are used over
      the air with no consideration
      > of who might be listening much less the fact that those words are
      not legal to use here in the States.
      > In fact it was just that sort of thing that got me to get my Ham
      Ticket. I was with my family on one of our
      > highways here and the traffic got stopped or backed up because of
      a crash. A truck driver got on the CB radio
      > and every other word was an obscenity. After that and after
      finding out that code was not needed for the Technician class
      > in 1993 I studied and got my first license. Since then I have
      avoided CB.

      > 73,
      >
      > Bill - W2BSA
      >
      > Luis Bronzini wrote:
      >
      > Bill, W2BSA:
      > Thank for your comments.
      > By means of Internet, I have obtained for use by the Scouts,
      six CB
      > handies, of 40 channels in AM.
      > With these handies they have something to start in the radio
      > communications.
      > Here, in Argentina, the CB as not heavily used as in USA. And
      the
      > poor propagation conditions has decreased their activity.
      Therefore
      > there are many free channels to practice.
      > 73
      >
      > Luis - LU3FS
      >
      > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart - W2BSA
      <w2bsa@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > As long as CB is better behaved in your country then it is
      here in
      > the
      > > States it might be OK.
      > > But, it's definitely not something I would do here in the
      States.
      > Far
      > > too many chances for the youth,
      > > much less their parents get the wrong impression regarding
      radio. I
      > can
      > > get my youth handi-talkies
      > > very inexpensively if I just look hard enough.
      > >
      > > 73,
      > >
      > > Bill, W2BSA
      > >
      > > Luis Bronzini wrote:
      > > >
      > > > My intention is use the CB as an introducting the Scouts to
      the
      > Amateur
      > > > Radio.
      > > > Benefits
      > > > - Equipments and antennas more cheap
      > > > - Stations easy to operate
      > > > - Does not require a license (although it must meet certain
      rules)
      > > > - Use the Q code and other expressions used by the Amateur
      Radio
      > > > (although there is a risk that they learn some bad habits).
      > > > Those Scouts, who operated in CB, and has interested in
      obtaining
      > an
      > > > amateur radio license, study the regulations and will take
      the
      > > > corresponding examinations.
      > > > With the CB is a first approximation to radio
      communications