Re: Seeking information for JOTA 2001

  • Dave Colter
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
      > Hi Arthur - I've done a JOTA or two, but one of our members, Ernie AA1IK has done many and his comments are quite useful. I have printed them below. I've used his suggestions wherever I can, and he is right on target. I hope these help....

      Dave, WA1ZCN

> [...]
      >
      > I suggest at least two hams for each station. The questions come fast and furious from the Scouts and one ham can not keep up with the questions and operate a rig at the same time. Trust me on this one!!!
      >
      > I also suggest a snack of milk and cookies be supplied for the scouts at each station. This goes a very long way to give the Scouts a good positive ham radio experience. This is always a big hit at my station and the boys not only appreciate it but they remember it for a long time.
      >
      > I almost forgot! A world map or at the least a US map is a great tool for JOTA. The Scouts who are not operating can find the places on the map that they are talking to. It gives them a feeling of participation even though they are not talking to the Scouts at the other end. Some are too shy to talk
      > anyway but the like to prod the braver Scouts with questions to ask on the air.
      >
      > AA1IK
      >
      > Ernie Gregoire
      >

      > Arthur wrote:

      > Hi, All. The Boston (MA) Amateur Radio Club is planning now to be
      > active in JOTA 2001. This is a new activity for us and we are seeking
      > information that would help us with our arrangements during the coming months.
      >
      > Your advice and comments for a newcomer to JOTA will be very much
      > appreciated. I hope that my club can learn from your experiences, sources
      > of information, etc.
      >
      > Thank you.
      > -- Arthur N1NHZ, 73
      > d(:-) Hams wearing Call Sign Baseball Caps d(:-)
      > Boston Amateur Radio Club, ARES EMA ARRL, MaSATERN
      >
      > [This message contained attachments]

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:54:10 -0500
      > From: "John Bednar" <k3ct@...>
      > Subject: Re: Seeking information for JOTA 2001
      >
      > Arthur,
      >
      > We had three HF stations and two hams (my scout
      >
      > son and I). With 15 scouts, there were times when
      >
      > one radio didn't have a ham to help the boys around
      >
      > the rig. If you are going to give every boy quality
      >
      > time on the air, you really need to limit the boys
      >
      > and have enough hams on duty. Some stations
      >
      > that we talked with had boys visiting the
      >
      > stations in groups of 20-25. This really didn't get
      >
      > the scouts involved at those sites.
      >
      > By Sunday, I was really tired and warn out
      >
      > yet some of the boys that stayed in the sidelines
      >
      > Saturday wanted to operate. We could have
      >
      > used a "second-string" of hams to supervise.
      >
      > We really had some great contacts. Late Saturday
      >
      > night we talked to a New Zealand station for
      >
      > over 1.5 hours. He had three Girl Scouts (called
      >
      > Girl-Guides) at his station. The boys haven't said
      >
      > too much about the JOTA weekend. Maybe it will

    • Novatech Com. LTD.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
        Hi, I thought I would put my 2 cents in, for what it's worth these days. My
        call is VE7LWB, and our club call is VE7QRO. Over the years I have been
        running
        GOTA, Guides On The Air. This is the girl guildes. What I have been doing is
        seting up a time for each group to come over and send some time chatting
        on HF and VHF to. I give each group about 1 to 2 hours depending on the
        size, but I have been limiting the group to a size of no more then 25 girls
        at a
        time, and this works out just fine. Last year we had over 90 girls from
        some
        5 or 6 guild troops. And to keep the ones waiting to get on and after they
        have
        been on quite, I have to girls do some real hands on work in the shop here,
        and
        to build little stuff to take home with them. In past years when I did not
        do this, it
        was next to imposible to hear the radio from all the noise the kids made
        that were
        not on, or finished there turn.