APRS for JOTA

  • rcrice77002
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2008
      As you prepare for JOTA you might give some thought to including APRS
      as one element of your operation. A HT and laptop running UIview,
      WinAPRS or the like can be easily set up and will provide an
      interesting display.

      Also, by using the CQSRVR you can easily be on the lookout for other
      JOTA operations using APRS. Simply by sending an APRS message to
      CQSRVR you are "subscribed" to what amounts to an APRS bulletin for 24
      hours.

      Basically you want to send two APRS messages using the messaging
      function of your APRS software, each of which would be addressed to
      CQSRVR

      CQ SCOUTS CQ SCOUTS <some text goes here - for example Pack XYZ
      Houston TX>

      CQ JOTA CQ JOTA <some text goes here - for example Pack XYZ Houston TX
      14.312USB>

      Note that there must be a space between CQ and SCOUTS and between
      Scouts and your text message.

      Sending these will register you with the CQSRVR to receive any other
      similar messages likewise addressed to CQ SCOUTS or to CQ JOTA. You
      can only send these messages once every 30 minutes, in order to avoid
      burdening the system.

      Once you start seeing other messages, you can either directly message
      the other station via APRS or use the info to contact them via HF etc.

      For more details check Bob Bruniga's website:
      http://www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html

      Robert
    • Marc Elvery
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2008
        PA6JAM/J will be using APRS as well

        We are the Dutch National JOTA station and are on a 40 meter barge, sailing through the Netherlands with PA6JAM and the #dutch JCC (JOTI Control Center). You can follow us live on http://live.jota-joti.nl (we will depart 8:00 GMT on Friday and will be back 16:00 GMT on Monday)

        Greets,

        Marc Elvery / doc (on ScoutLink)
        PE2DOC

        P.S. Using Twitter too under de name PA6JAM

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2008
          Marc

          I'll be on the lookout for your groups on APRS. My call is WB5PKN and
          I will be doing that APRS side of the JOTA event I am organizing in
          Houston, Texas.

          73

          Robert Rice
          WB5PKN

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Marc Elvery <marc@...> wrote:

          > PA6JAM/J will be using APRS as well
          >
          > We are the Dutch National JOTA station and are on a 40 meter barge,
          > sailing through the Netherlands with PA6JAM and the #dutch JCC (JOTI
          > Control Center). You can follow us live on http://live.jota-joti.nl (we
          > will depart 8:00 GMT on Friday and will be back 16:00 GMT on Monday)
          >
          > Greets,
          >
          > Marc Elvery / doc (on ScoutLink)
          > PE2DOC
          >
          > P.S. Using Twitter too under de name PA6JAM
          >

          > rcrice77002 wrote:
          > >
          > > As you prepare for JOTA you might give some thought to including APRS
          > > as one element of your operation. A HT and laptop running UIview,
          > > WinAPRS or the like can be easily set up and will provide an
          > > interesting display.
          > >
          > > Also, by using the CQSRVR you can easily be on the lookout for other
          > > JOTA operations using APRS. Simply by sending an APRS message to
          > > CQSRVR you are "subscribed" to what amounts to an APRS bulletin for 24
          > > hours.
          > >
          > > Basically you want to send two APRS messages using the messaging
          > > function of your APRS software, each of which would be addressed to
          > > CQSRVR
          > >
          > > CQ SCOUTS CQ SCOUTS <some text goes here - for example Pack XYZ
          > > Houston TX>
          > >
          > > CQ JOTA CQ JOTA <some text goes here - for example Pack XYZ Houston TX
          > > 14.312USB>
          > >
          > > Note that there must be a space between CQ and SCOUTS and between
          > > Scouts and your text message.
          > >
          > > Sending these will register you with the CQSRVR to receive any other
          > > similar messages likewise addressed to CQ SCOUTS or to CQ JOTA. You
          > > can only send these messages once every 30 minutes, in order to avoid
          > > burdening the system.
          > >
          > > Once you start seeing other messages, you can either directly message
          > > the other station via APRS or use the info to contact them via HF etc.
          > >
          > > For more details check Bob Bruniga's website:
          > > http://www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html <http://www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html>
          > >
          > > Robert

        • Phil Sohn
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 17, 2008
            Has anyone in the US received patches? We put in an order quite a while ago and have not received them.

            Phil
            K7APS
          • Steve Peterson
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 17, 2008
              Yes

              ===
              Steve Peterson
              Amateur Radio Station N9OA

              * Secretary - WCRA
              * Public Service Coordinator - WCRA
              * Field Day Co-chair - WCRA
              * MC, Troop 32 - Rainbow Council #702, BSA
              * Amateur Extra Class VE - ARRL/VEC
              * Member - National Eagle Scout Assn.
              * Member - Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Assn.

              (630) 901-6962 (mobile) | n9oa@...
              www.n9oa.net

              From: "Phil Sohn" <philsohn@...>
              Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:13:47 -0700
              To: <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [ScoutRadio] Patches anyone?

              Has anyone in the US received patches? We put in an order quite a while ago and have not received them.

              Phil
              K7APS
            • Keith Kaiser
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 17, 2008
                I got mine (6) about 10 days ago.

                On Oct 17, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Phil Sohn wrote:

                Has anyone in the US received patches? We put in an order quite a while ago and have not received them.

                Phil
                K7APS

              • Peter Richey
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 17, 2008
                  Phil,

                  I received BSA JOTA 2008 patches from the National Council Office a week ago, ordered in late September.
                  Did not order any international patches from World HQ since I only learned about them yesterday.

                  Peter
                  N9HDW

                  P.S. Wheaton Community Radio Amateurs (Wheaton, IL USA) are hosting a JOTA Open House for scouts in the
                  western suburbs of Chicago, 10:30 AM CDT - 2 PM CDT at First Presbyterian Church of Wheaton, Illinois. Contact
                  on standard scout JOTA frequencies for 40m SSB, 20m SSB, and IRLP node 4119.

                  =============

                  Phil Sohn wrote:
                  Has anyone in the US received patches? We put in an order quite a while ago and have not received them.

                  Phil
                  K7APS
                • ravennaelectronics
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 20, 2008
                    I put my order in with Internation Scout Division office there in
                    Texas. Lisa took my order again this year as she has the last few
                    years. She had the patches to me in less than two weeks. I ordered
                    the US JOTA patch that was shown on the ARRL website and not the one
                    that was shown on the worldwide site.

                    Best Regards,
                    Rich "Doc" Strait, AC8AL
                    Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council Venturing Crew 9050

                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Sohn" <philsohn@...> wrote:

                    > Has anyone in the US received patches? We put in an order quite a
                    while ago and have not received them.

                    > Phil
                    > K7APS

                  • Phil Sohn
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 21, 2008
                      Mine showed up FedEx Friday morning, so we had them for JOTA.

                      Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 8:51 PM
                      Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: Patches anyone?

                      I put my order in with Internation Scout Division office there in
                      Texas. Lisa took my order again this year as she has the last few
                      years. She had the patches to me in less than two weeks. I ordered
                      the US JOTA patch that was shown on the ARRL website and not the one
                      that was shown on the worldwide site.

                      Best Regards,
                      Rich "Doc" Strait, AC8AL
                      Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council Venturing Crew 9050

                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Phil Sohn" <philsohn@.. .> wrote:

                      > Has anyone in the
                      US received patches? We put in an order quite a
                      while ago and have not received them.

                      > Phil
                      > K7APS

                    • w1ho_howard
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 12, 2009
                        Are any groups planning to utilize the CQSRVR facility to beacon JOTA operations? We (Iredell County ARS, NC) are considering it for the Gemstone District Camporee/JOTA, sending CQ SCOUTS to the server, with our JOTA call and location.

                        WB4APR has a couple of writeups if you're not aware of this facility - http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2007-October/021928.html and http://www.amsat.org/amsat/archive/amsat-bb/200010/msg00594.html.

                        We'd be interested hearing/sharing ideas on this.

                        Thanks and 73,
                        Howard W1HO