Re: Boy Scout Jamboree on the Air (JOTA)

  • Jim Stafford W4QO
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
      William,  Could you go on the yahoo website for this reflector and enter this (and any other you may know of) data in the DATABASE called JOTA2008?

      I'm encouraging every known JOTA station to enter their date in that DATABASE so it can be easily printed and taken to the JOTA station site that weekend.  Just use the PRINTABLE REPORT function for that database for a full printout.

      Thanks,  jim/ w4qo
      CH. OP - W4S in Roswell, GA

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, William Dale <wld-lists@...> wrote:

      > In the San Jose, South SF Bay area Don Village, K6PBQ, will be operating
      > Jamboree on the Air on Saturday Oct.
      > 18th from his home station. If you know any scouting groups that would
      > like to join him (boys or girls) please
      > e-mail donvillage7@...
      >
      > --
      > --
      > William Dale - N2RHV -
      > Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
      > mailto:n2rhv@...
      > --

    • barry whittemore
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008

        Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS passes will be for JOTA?  i have looked at a few sites but cant find any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
        Thanks
        Barry
        WB1EDI    N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH

      • montajoti
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
          HELLO
          Peace to all of you guys
          The amateur radio club of tunisian scouts
          Will participate in the camp this year JOTA JOTI
          The camp this year in the form of a national gathering
          from 17 to 19 /10/2008 and amateur scouting as well as to frame the
          Scouts and help them to identify the hobby
          special CALL for this year TS75DF
          QTH BORJ CEDRIA LOC JM56DT
          ACTIVES IN ALL BANDS /ALL MODE

          Echolink :
          Node 400340
          best 73 and good jota
        • kc8yjj
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
            try a free program called Orbitron, works well for all sats. heavensabove.com also has the info.

            KC8YJJ
            Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS passes will be for JOTA?  i have looked at a few sites but cant find any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
            Thanks
            Barry
            WB1EDI    N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH

            Gary

            www.novasr-team.us

            I GoodSearch for NOVASAR.

            Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet or shopping online with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
              Suggest going to this AMSAT site - http://www.amsat.org/amsat-
              new/tools/predict/ , enter your QTH info, under Show Predictions for,
              select 'ISS', then PREDICT button at bottom of page.

              Scott, nt5sm

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, barry whittemore <wb1edi@...>
              wrote:

              > Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS
              passes will be for JOTA? i have looked at a few sites but cant find
              any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
              > Thanks
              > Barry
              > WB1EDI N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH
              > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
              Windows Live.
              > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093185mrt/direct/01/

            • Ray Brown
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                  If you look around enough in www.heavens-above.com , you can find a section
                called ISS - All Passes (not just the visible passes). But first you have to register
                your name and location. It's safe, the person running this web page is in Germany
                and he's been doing it for years.

                  Then, once you get on, and get there, you will see a section that starts off like this:

                Click on the date to get a ground track plot.
                DateStartsMax. AltitudeEnds
                TimeAlt.Az.TimeAlt.Az.TimeAlt.Az.
                08 Oct13:00:4010WSW13:03:3560NW13:06:3110NE

                  The basic thing is it shows, on this particular orbit, the pass is in your radio and
                eye range from the start time to the end time. A typical pass is only about 6 minutes.

                  If you click on what's shaded in blue, things happen. If you click on the date,
                you will see where in the USA (in my case) the station will pass over, and pass
                within visual range of. Clicking on Alt. is the definition of "altitude", showing things
                from your point of view. Clicking on Az. does the same thing in "azimuth". Ditto
                for Altitude.

                  The website only goes forward 10 days at a time, so by Friday it will have all
                the data for predicting all passes for the JOTA weekend. But what I see is not
                what you might see. Also bear in mind that the station will not be in your horizon
                every single orbit. But each orbit is about 90 minutes, so keep plugging away. :-)

                                Ray, KB0STN

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                  Thanks for all the iss tracking info, i will check it all out. hopefully we can make contact or at least get some of the SSTV images.
                  73
                  Barry
                  WB1EDI  N1S for JOTA

                  To: scoutradio@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                    The IRLP reflector 9254 and the Echlink node *HI-GATE* are permanently connected. I spoke with the node owner, and he thought that using these for JOTA was a great idea. Why don't we use these as a meeting place to find contacts? If it gets to bust, we can use it to coordinate point to point contacts.

                    See www.narri.org and clink on Western Ref map to see connections for each of the 10 ref channels and you will see a table that explains the use of the channels. Note the explanation for channel 4; it describes Echo conference server *HI-GATE*.

                    Phil
                    K7APS
                  • ki4fus@bellsouth.net