Re: Station list ... how to compile

  • Jim Stafford W4QO
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
      Bob, I read your article in QST (and tried to absorb it as I'm
      totally unfamiliar with APRS - APRS and moonbounce are the ONLY two
      things I have not done in my 50 years of ham radio) and I did pick up
      that it could be used for this purpose.

      Here is my question, is there a way to "cross over" between the
      internet world and APRS? In other words, can I enter my location and
      have it repeated out somewhere?

      I really do plan to get on APRS in next 12 months and it is nice to
      run into you here.

      jim w4qo.com

      > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to distribute
      > the information.
      >
      > See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html
      >
      > Bob, Wb4APR

    • Phil Sohn
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
        Nice. Thanks for doing this. Is it possible to add a colum for IRPL node as well?

        Phil
        K7APS
      • Robert Bruninga
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
          > Here is my question, is there a way to
          > "cross over" between the internet world
          > and APRS? In other words, can I enter
          > my location and have it repeated out somewhere?

          The crossover is fully automatic from RF to internet.
          Everything on RF anywhere in the world gets sucked into the APRS
          internet system from everywhere on earth. It is viewable by
          anyone anywhere that is running an APRS program on a PC
          connected to the internet. And all of those users can
          communicate amongst themselves (on the internet)... but

          Nothing comes from the internet back to RF unless it is a
          message FROM XXX to YYY, since the callsign is the only way the
          system knows which of the thousands of RF areas to put it back
          out into...

          This is what gives us global messaging radio-to-radio using only
          the callsign. There have been many people that want to open the
          door the other way from the internet to RF, but due to the
          concern over illegal operation, the only systems that might do
          that usually require you to create an "account" or some other
          obscure way to identify you.

          I have never used one of these systems (if they exist) because I
          can barely remember my name, much less another URL to use.. When
          I can more easily send any message or email from my HT or mobile
          Ttpad using APRS.

          So, my suggestion for this JOTA is not going to do you much
          good, because 95% of ham radio has never used APRS and
          apparently never will (its been out there for 15 years now), so
          an APRS announcemnet will only hit the 5% of ham radio operators
          that are active on APRS (if that many) in JOTA...

          With Yaesu coming out with the VX8R HT for APRS plus the
          existing three Kenwood APRS radios, I think APRS is here to
          stay, so may as well get on board now...

          Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a DTMF
          keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
          anywhere... See

          www.aprs.org/aprstt.html

          Good luck!
          Bob

          > > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to
          distribute
          > > the information.
          > >
          > > See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html
          > >
          > > Bob, Wb4APR
        • Jim Stafford W4QO
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
            Done.. I rearranged your info to fill in the fields as they are now.

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Phil Sohn <philsohn@...> wrote:

            > Nice. Thanks for doing this. Is it possible to add a column for IRPL
            node as well?

            > Phil
            > K7APS

          • Jim Stafford W4QO
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
              Bob, Way Cool.. Thanks and I'll re-read the aprstt material more
              carefully tonight. jim/w4qo

              > Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a DTMF
              > keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
              > anywhere... See
              >
              > www.aprs.org/aprstt.html
              >
              > Good luck!
              > Bob
              >
              > > > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to
              > distribute
              > > > the information.
              > > >
              > > > See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html
              > > >
              > > > Bob, Wb4APR

            • Phil Sohn
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                The repeater needs to support aprstt in order for this to work, right? Are any repeaters doing this? Is there a listing compiled someplace?

                Phil, K7APS

                To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
                From: qrp@...
                Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:01:55 +0000
                Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: Station list ... how to compile

                Bob, Way Cool.. Thanks and I'll re-read the aprstt material more
                carefully tonight. jim/w4qo

                > Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a DTMF
                > keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
                > anywhere... See
                >
                > www.aprs.org/ aprstt.html
                >
                > Good luck!
                > Bob
                >
                > > > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to
                > distribute
                > > > the information.
                > > >
                > > > See www.aprs.org/ cqsrvr.html
                > > >
                > > > Bob, Wb4APR

              • Robert Bruninga
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                  > Subject: RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Station list ... how to compile
                  >
                  > The repeater needs to support aprstt in
                  > order for this to work, right?
                  > Are any repeaters doing this?
                  > Is there a listing compiled someplace?

                  Sorry I have confused the issue. The example I gave of sending
                  an APRS message to the world was using a full capable APRS radio
                  not APRStt.

                  Thought it could be used in the future via APRStt if someone
                  wanted to edit it in. But APRStt (using DTMF to send APRS from
                  any radio) is not yet implemented anywhere except a few
                  experimental stations in France and my original APRStt demo in
                  the USA 7 years ago.

                  So hang in there. APRStt (touch tone) will be here shortly. We
                  are still debating the final text-entry method for the DTMF
                  keypad.

                  www.aprs.org/aprstt.html

                  Thanks
                  Bob, Wb4APR

                  > Phil, K7APS
                  >

                  > ________________________________
                  >

                  > To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: qrp@...
                  > Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:01:55 +0000
                  > Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: Station list ... how to compile
                  >

                  > Bob, Way Cool.. Thanks and I'll re-read the aprstt material
                  more
                  > carefully tonight. jim/w4qo
                  > >
                  > > Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a
                  DTMF
                  > > keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
                  > > anywhere... See
                  > >
                  > > www.aprs.org/aprstt.html
                  > >
                  > > Good luck!
                  > > Bob

                  > > distribute

                • William Dale
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                    In the San Jose, South SF Bay area Don Village, K6PBQ, will be operating
                    Jamboree on the Air on Saturday Oct.
                    18th from his home station. If you know any scouting groups that would
                    like to join him (boys or girls) please
                    e-mail donvillage7@...

                    William Dale - N2RHV -
                    Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
                    mailto:n2rhv@...
                    --
                    New ideas are not hard. It's letting go of the old ideas that is hard.
                    ==
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                      William,  Could you go on the yahoo website for this reflector and enter this (and any other you may know of) data in the DATABASE called JOTA2008?

                      I'm encouraging every known JOTA station to enter their date in that DATABASE so it can be easily printed and taken to the JOTA station site that weekend.  Just use the PRINTABLE REPORT function for that database for a full printout.

                      Thanks,  jim/ w4qo
                      CH. OP - W4S in Roswell, GA

                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, William Dale <wld-lists@...> wrote:

                      > In the San Jose, South SF Bay area Don Village, K6PBQ, will be operating
                      > Jamboree on the Air on Saturday Oct.
                      > 18th from his home station. If you know any scouting groups that would
                      > like to join him (boys or girls) please
                      > e-mail donvillage7@...
                      >
                      > --
                      > --
                      > William Dale - N2RHV -
                      > Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
                      > mailto:n2rhv@...
                      > --

                    • barry whittemore
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008

                        Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS passes will be for JOTA?  i have looked at a few sites but cant find any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
                        Thanks
                        Barry
                        WB1EDI    N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH

                      • montajoti
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                          HELLO
                          Peace to all of you guys
                          The amateur radio club of tunisian scouts
                          Will participate in the camp this year JOTA JOTI
                          The camp this year in the form of a national gathering
                          from 17 to 19 /10/2008 and amateur scouting as well as to frame the
                          Scouts and help them to identify the hobby
                          special CALL for this year TS75DF
                          QTH BORJ CEDRIA LOC JM56DT
                          ACTIVES IN ALL BANDS /ALL MODE

                          Echolink :
                          Node 400340
                          best 73 and good jota
                        • kc8yjj
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                            try a free program called Orbitron, works well for all sats. heavensabove.com also has the info.

                            KC8YJJ
                            Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS passes will be for JOTA?  i have looked at a few sites but cant find any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
                            Thanks
                            Barry
                            WB1EDI    N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH

                            Gary

                            www.novasr-team.us

                            I GoodSearch for NOVASAR.

                            Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet or shopping online with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

                          • Scott
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                              Suggest going to this AMSAT site - http://www.amsat.org/amsat-
                              new/tools/predict/ , enter your QTH info, under Show Predictions for,
                              select 'ISS', then PREDICT button at bottom of page.

                              Scott, nt5sm

                              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, barry whittemore <wb1edi@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS
                              passes will be for JOTA? i have looked at a few sites but cant find
                              any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
                              > Thanks
                              > Barry
                              > WB1EDI N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH
                              > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
                              Windows Live.
                              > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093185mrt/direct/01/

                            • Ray Brown
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                                  If you look around enough in www.heavens-above.com , you can find a section
                                called ISS - All Passes (not just the visible passes). But first you have to register
                                your name and location. It's safe, the person running this web page is in Germany
                                and he's been doing it for years.

                                  Then, once you get on, and get there, you will see a section that starts off like this:

                                Click on the date to get a ground track plot.
                                DateStartsMax. AltitudeEnds
                                TimeAlt.Az.TimeAlt.Az.TimeAlt.Az.
                                08 Oct13:00:4010WSW13:03:3560NW13:06:3110NE

                                  The basic thing is it shows, on this particular orbit, the pass is in your radio and
                                eye range from the start time to the end time. A typical pass is only about 6 minutes.

                                  If you click on what's shaded in blue, things happen. If you click on the date,
                                you will see where in the USA (in my case) the station will pass over, and pass
                                within visual range of. Clicking on Alt. is the definition of "altitude", showing things
                                from your point of view. Clicking on Az. does the same thing in "azimuth". Ditto
                                for Altitude.

                                  The website only goes forward 10 days at a time, so by Friday it will have all
                                the data for predicting all passes for the JOTA weekend. But what I see is not
                                what you might see. Also bear in mind that the station will not be in your horizon
                                every single orbit. But each orbit is about 90 minutes, so keep plugging away. :-)

                                                Ray, KB0STN

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                                  Thanks for all the iss tracking info, i will check it all out. hopefully we can make contact or at least get some of the SSTV images.
                                  73
                                  Barry
                                  WB1EDI  N1S for JOTA

                                  To: scoutradio@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                                    The IRLP reflector 9254 and the Echlink node *HI-GATE* are permanently connected. I spoke with the node owner, and he thought that using these for JOTA was a great idea. Why don't we use these as a meeting place to find contacts? If it gets to bust, we can use it to coordinate point to point contacts.

                                    See www.narri.org and clink on Western Ref map to see connections for each of the 10 ref channels and you will see a table that explains the use of the channels. Note the explanation for channel 4; it describes Echo conference server *HI-GATE*.

                                    Phil
                                    K7APS
                                  • ki4fus@bellsouth.net