RE: [ScoutRadio] Station list ... how to compile

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
      > I notice several folks have posted an [email]
      > that they will be on the air for JOTA...
      > ...Is there a way we can compile that
      > so it can be printed out on Friday night...
      >
      > Callsign State Day Operating times Bands Comments
      > W4S GA Sat 1300 to 1900 40 20 #381631 Echolink

      This is exactly the kind of tactical real-time information that
      APRS was designed to distribute to everyone everywhere. Each
      station would put out a beacon, and all stations would capture
      it, either in advance or in real time.

      APRS was designed to be the universal back-channel
      comm/announcement channel for all information regarding
      everything in Ham radio everywhere. Unfortunately too many
      people think of it as only a vehicle tracking system and have
      ignored its potential as a universal information channel.

      So your suggestion to do it by email is good. But it is not as
      easy to read in real-time out in the field as APRS could be if
      everyone kept their packet stations running on APRS....

      But for what it is worth. Here is how to send it out to
      everyone... Just put it into an APRS message to CQSRVR, using
      this format:

      CQ JOTA CQ JOTA GA Sat 1300-1900 on 40&20m EchoLink 381631

      This will log you on to CQSRVR for 12 hours and will send this
      out to eveyrone else that has done the same thing. I guess to
      really make this work, you need to repeat your message every 12
      hours so that you remain logged on and so that you get everyone
      elses plans.

      Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to distribute
      the information.

      See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html

      Bob, Wb4APR
    • Jim Stafford W4QO
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
        Bob, I read your article in QST (and tried to absorb it as I'm
        totally unfamiliar with APRS - APRS and moonbounce are the ONLY two
        things I have not done in my 50 years of ham radio) and I did pick up
        that it could be used for this purpose.

        Here is my question, is there a way to "cross over" between the
        internet world and APRS? In other words, can I enter my location and
        have it repeated out somewhere?

        I really do plan to get on APRS in next 12 months and it is nice to
        run into you here.

        jim w4qo.com

        > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to distribute
        > the information.
        >
        > See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html
        >
        > Bob, Wb4APR

      • Phil Sohn
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
          Nice. Thanks for doing this. Is it possible to add a colum for IRPL node as well?

          Phil
          K7APS
        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
            > Here is my question, is there a way to
            > "cross over" between the internet world
            > and APRS? In other words, can I enter
            > my location and have it repeated out somewhere?

            The crossover is fully automatic from RF to internet.
            Everything on RF anywhere in the world gets sucked into the APRS
            internet system from everywhere on earth. It is viewable by
            anyone anywhere that is running an APRS program on a PC
            connected to the internet. And all of those users can
            communicate amongst themselves (on the internet)... but

            Nothing comes from the internet back to RF unless it is a
            message FROM XXX to YYY, since the callsign is the only way the
            system knows which of the thousands of RF areas to put it back
            out into...

            This is what gives us global messaging radio-to-radio using only
            the callsign. There have been many people that want to open the
            door the other way from the internet to RF, but due to the
            concern over illegal operation, the only systems that might do
            that usually require you to create an "account" or some other
            obscure way to identify you.

            I have never used one of these systems (if they exist) because I
            can barely remember my name, much less another URL to use.. When
            I can more easily send any message or email from my HT or mobile
            Ttpad using APRS.

            So, my suggestion for this JOTA is not going to do you much
            good, because 95% of ham radio has never used APRS and
            apparently never will (its been out there for 15 years now), so
            an APRS announcemnet will only hit the 5% of ham radio operators
            that are active on APRS (if that many) in JOTA...

            With Yaesu coming out with the VX8R HT for APRS plus the
            existing three Kenwood APRS radios, I think APRS is here to
            stay, so may as well get on board now...

            Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a DTMF
            keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
            anywhere... See

            www.aprs.org/aprstt.html

            Good luck!
            Bob

            > > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to
            distribute
            > > the information.
            > >
            > > See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html
            > >
            > > Bob, Wb4APR
          • Jim Stafford W4QO
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
              Done.. I rearranged your info to fill in the fields as they are now.

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Phil Sohn <philsohn@...> wrote:

              > Nice. Thanks for doing this. Is it possible to add a column for IRPL
              node as well?

              > Phil
              > K7APS

            • Jim Stafford W4QO
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                Bob, Way Cool.. Thanks and I'll re-read the aprstt material more
                carefully tonight. jim/w4qo

                > Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a DTMF
                > keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
                > anywhere... See
                >
                > www.aprs.org/aprstt.html
                >
                > Good luck!
                > Bob
                >
                > > > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to
                > distribute
                > > > the information.
                > > >
                > > > See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html
                > > >
                > > > Bob, Wb4APR

              • Phil Sohn
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                  The repeater needs to support aprstt in order for this to work, right? Are any repeaters doing this? Is there a listing compiled someplace?

                  Phil, K7APS

                  To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
                  From: qrp@...
                  Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:01:55 +0000
                  Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: Station list ... how to compile

                  Bob, Way Cool.. Thanks and I'll re-read the aprstt material more
                  carefully tonight. jim/w4qo

                  > Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a DTMF
                  > keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
                  > anywhere... See
                  >
                  > www.aprs.org/ aprstt.html
                  >
                  > Good luck!
                  > Bob
                  >
                  > > > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to
                  > distribute
                  > > > the information.
                  > > >
                  > > > See www.aprs.org/ cqsrvr.html
                  > > >
                  > > > Bob, Wb4APR

                • Robert Bruninga
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                    > Subject: RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Station list ... how to compile
                    >
                    > The repeater needs to support aprstt in
                    > order for this to work, right?
                    > Are any repeaters doing this?
                    > Is there a listing compiled someplace?

                    Sorry I have confused the issue. The example I gave of sending
                    an APRS message to the world was using a full capable APRS radio
                    not APRStt.

                    Thought it could be used in the future via APRStt if someone
                    wanted to edit it in. But APRStt (using DTMF to send APRS from
                    any radio) is not yet implemented anywhere except a few
                    experimental stations in France and my original APRStt demo in
                    the USA 7 years ago.

                    So hang in there. APRStt (touch tone) will be here shortly. We
                    are still debating the final text-entry method for the DTMF
                    keypad.

                    www.aprs.org/aprstt.html

                    Thanks
                    Bob, Wb4APR

                    > Phil, K7APS
                    >

                    > ________________________________
                    >

                    > To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: qrp@...
                    > Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:01:55 +0000
                    > Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: Station list ... how to compile
                    >

                    > Bob, Way Cool.. Thanks and I'll re-read the aprstt material
                    more
                    > carefully tonight. jim/w4qo
                    > >
                    > > Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a
                    DTMF
                    > > keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
                    > > anywhere... See
                    > >
                    > > www.aprs.org/aprstt.html
                    > >
                    > > Good luck!
                    > > Bob

                    > > distribute

                  • William Dale
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                      In the San Jose, South SF Bay area Don Village, K6PBQ, will be operating
                      Jamboree on the Air on Saturday Oct.
                      18th from his home station. If you know any scouting groups that would
                      like to join him (boys or girls) please
                      e-mail donvillage7@...

                      William Dale - N2RHV -
                      Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
                      mailto:n2rhv@...
                      --
                      New ideas are not hard. It's letting go of the old ideas that is hard.
                      ==
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                        William,  Could you go on the yahoo website for this reflector and enter this (and any other you may know of) data in the DATABASE called JOTA2008?

                        I'm encouraging every known JOTA station to enter their date in that DATABASE so it can be easily printed and taken to the JOTA station site that weekend.  Just use the PRINTABLE REPORT function for that database for a full printout.

                        Thanks,  jim/ w4qo
                        CH. OP - W4S in Roswell, GA

                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, William Dale <wld-lists@...> wrote:

                        > In the San Jose, South SF Bay area Don Village, K6PBQ, will be operating
                        > Jamboree on the Air on Saturday Oct.
                        > 18th from his home station. If you know any scouting groups that would
                        > like to join him (boys or girls) please
                        > e-mail donvillage7@...
                        >
                        > --
                        > --
                        > William Dale - N2RHV -
                        > Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
                        > mailto:n2rhv@...
                        > --

                      • barry whittemore
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008

                          Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS passes will be for JOTA?  i have looked at a few sites but cant find any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
                          Thanks
                          Barry
                          WB1EDI    N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH

                        • montajoti
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                            HELLO
                            Peace to all of you guys
                            The amateur radio club of tunisian scouts
                            Will participate in the camp this year JOTA JOTI
                            The camp this year in the form of a national gathering
                            from 17 to 19 /10/2008 and amateur scouting as well as to frame the
                            Scouts and help them to identify the hobby
                            special CALL for this year TS75DF
                            QTH BORJ CEDRIA LOC JM56DT
                            ACTIVES IN ALL BANDS /ALL MODE

                            Echolink :
                            Node 400340
                            best 73 and good jota
                          • kc8yjj
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                              try a free program called Orbitron, works well for all sats. heavensabove.com also has the info.

                              KC8YJJ
                              Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS passes will be for JOTA?  i have looked at a few sites but cant find any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
                              Thanks
                              Barry
                              WB1EDI    N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH

                              Gary

                              www.novasr-team.us

                              I GoodSearch for NOVASAR.

                              Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet or shopping online with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

                            • Scott
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                                Suggest going to this AMSAT site - http://www.amsat.org/amsat-
                                new/tools/predict/ , enter your QTH info, under Show Predictions for,
                                select 'ISS', then PREDICT button at bottom of page.

                                Scott, nt5sm

                                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, barry whittemore <wb1edi@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS
                                passes will be for JOTA? i have looked at a few sites but cant find
                                any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
                                > Thanks
                                > Barry
                                > WB1EDI N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH
                                > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
                                Windows Live.
                                > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093185mrt/direct/01/

                              • Ray Brown
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                                    If you look around enough in www.heavens-above.com , you can find a section
                                  called ISS - All Passes (not just the visible passes). But first you have to register
                                  your name and location. It's safe, the person running this web page is in Germany
                                  and he's been doing it for years.

                                    Then, once you get on, and get there, you will see a section that starts off like this:

                                  Click on the date to get a ground track plot.
                                  DateStartsMax. AltitudeEnds
                                  TimeAlt.Az.TimeAlt.Az.TimeAlt.Az.
                                  08 Oct13:00:4010WSW13:03:3560NW13:06:3110NE

                                    The basic thing is it shows, on this particular orbit, the pass is in your radio and
                                  eye range from the start time to the end time. A typical pass is only about 6 minutes.

                                    If you click on what's shaded in blue, things happen. If you click on the date,
                                  you will see where in the USA (in my case) the station will pass over, and pass
                                  within visual range of. Clicking on Alt. is the definition of "altitude", showing things
                                  from your point of view. Clicking on Az. does the same thing in "azimuth". Ditto
                                  for Altitude.

                                    The website only goes forward 10 days at a time, so by Friday it will have all
                                  the data for predicting all passes for the JOTA weekend. But what I see is not
                                  what you might see. Also bear in mind that the station will not be in your horizon
                                  every single orbit. But each orbit is about 90 minutes, so keep plugging away. :-)

                                                  Ray, KB0STN

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                                    Thanks for all the iss tracking info, i will check it all out. hopefully we can make contact or at least get some of the SSTV images.
                                    73
                                    Barry
                                    WB1EDI  N1S for JOTA

                                    To: scoutradio@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                                      The IRLP reflector 9254 and the Echlink node *HI-GATE* are permanently connected. I spoke with the node owner, and he thought that using these for JOTA was a great idea. Why don't we use these as a meeting place to find contacts? If it gets to bust, we can use it to coordinate point to point contacts.

                                      See www.narri.org and clink on Western Ref map to see connections for each of the 10 ref channels and you will see a table that explains the use of the channels. Note the explanation for channel 4; it describes Echo conference server *HI-GATE*.

                                      Phil
                                      K7APS
                                    • ki4fus@bellsouth.net