Station list ... how to compile

  • Jim Stafford W4QO
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
      I notice several folks have posted a that they will be on the air for
      JOTA and other info. Is there a way we can compile that so it can be
      printed out on Friday night the 17th and taken to the JOTA site with
      all the info on it?

      I was thinking of a Database set up for JOTA2008. It is easy to do
      and it should include:

      Callsign State Day Operating times Operating bands Comments

      in the comments section we could put our ECHOLINK node numbers and
      info like that.

      Here would be my entry:

      W4S GA Saturday 1300 to 1900 40 20 Node 381631 Echolink

      I'll be happy to do it IF members are permitted to set up a D/B.

      jim/w4qo
    • Jim Stafford W4QO
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
        I saw that Databases could be set up by any member so I did one for
        listing stations we know will be on this year. Please enter yours in
        the Database section of this site:

        You'll be able to print this out before the weekend to have a list of
        stations to look for.

        jim/w4qo
      • Norm Huber
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
          Jim Stafford W4QO wrote:

          > I notice several folks have posted a that they will be on the air for
          > JOTA and other info. Is there a way we can compile that so it can be
          > printed out on Friday night the 17th and taken to the JOTA site with
          > all the info on it?
          >
          > I was thinking of a Database set up for JOTA2008. It is easy to do
          > and it should include:
          >
          > Callsign State Day Operating times Operating bands Comments
          >
          > in the comments section we could put our ECHOLINK node numbers and
          > info like that.
          >
          > Here would be my entry:
          >
          > W4S GA Saturday 1300 to 1900 40 20 Node 381631 Echolink
          >
          > I'll be happy to do it IF members are permitted to set up a D/B.
          >
          > jim/w4qo

          Good idea. Might want to make sure all times are UTC to avoid confusion.
          We will be at our Fall Camp-O-Ree as one of the stations.
          Plan to be working on/near JOTA Frequencies on any open band we can tune
          up on and PSK31. No Ethernet, phones, etc at site.
          N9ZKS Saturday 1400 to 2130 UTC JOTA frequencies plus PSK31
          - Norm - N9ZKS - Central Illinois - E-:-)
          - Motorcyclist, Bicyclist, Ham, Scouter
          - '05 Goldwing - Yellow - Rex - 71,000 miles
          - '87 Goldwing Interstate - Lagniappe Too - 66,000 miles
          - LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER!
          - IBA 25533, MARC, WOTI, GWRRA, AMA, ARRL
          - http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=n9zks-9,n9zks-10&radar=***
        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
            > I notice several folks have posted an [email]
            > that they will be on the air for JOTA...
            > ...Is there a way we can compile that
            > so it can be printed out on Friday night...
            >
            > Callsign State Day Operating times Bands Comments
            > W4S GA Sat 1300 to 1900 40 20 #381631 Echolink

            This is exactly the kind of tactical real-time information that
            APRS was designed to distribute to everyone everywhere. Each
            station would put out a beacon, and all stations would capture
            it, either in advance or in real time.

            APRS was designed to be the universal back-channel
            comm/announcement channel for all information regarding
            everything in Ham radio everywhere. Unfortunately too many
            people think of it as only a vehicle tracking system and have
            ignored its potential as a universal information channel.

            So your suggestion to do it by email is good. But it is not as
            easy to read in real-time out in the field as APRS could be if
            everyone kept their packet stations running on APRS....

            But for what it is worth. Here is how to send it out to
            everyone... Just put it into an APRS message to CQSRVR, using
            this format:

            CQ JOTA CQ JOTA GA Sat 1300-1900 on 40&20m EchoLink 381631

            This will log you on to CQSRVR for 12 hours and will send this
            out to eveyrone else that has done the same thing. I guess to
            really make this work, you need to repeat your message every 12
            hours so that you remain logged on and so that you get everyone
            elses plans.

            Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to distribute
            the information.

            See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html

            Bob, Wb4APR
          • Jim Stafford W4QO
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
              Bob, I read your article in QST (and tried to absorb it as I'm
              totally unfamiliar with APRS - APRS and moonbounce are the ONLY two
              things I have not done in my 50 years of ham radio) and I did pick up
              that it could be used for this purpose.

              Here is my question, is there a way to "cross over" between the
              internet world and APRS? In other words, can I enter my location and
              have it repeated out somewhere?

              I really do plan to get on APRS in next 12 months and it is nice to
              run into you here.

              jim w4qo.com

              > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to distribute
              > the information.
              >
              > See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html
              >
              > Bob, Wb4APR

            • Phil Sohn
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                Nice. Thanks for doing this. Is it possible to add a colum for IRPL node as well?

                Phil
                K7APS
              • Robert Bruninga
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                  > Here is my question, is there a way to
                  > "cross over" between the internet world
                  > and APRS? In other words, can I enter
                  > my location and have it repeated out somewhere?

                  The crossover is fully automatic from RF to internet.
                  Everything on RF anywhere in the world gets sucked into the APRS
                  internet system from everywhere on earth. It is viewable by
                  anyone anywhere that is running an APRS program on a PC
                  connected to the internet. And all of those users can
                  communicate amongst themselves (on the internet)... but

                  Nothing comes from the internet back to RF unless it is a
                  message FROM XXX to YYY, since the callsign is the only way the
                  system knows which of the thousands of RF areas to put it back
                  out into...

                  This is what gives us global messaging radio-to-radio using only
                  the callsign. There have been many people that want to open the
                  door the other way from the internet to RF, but due to the
                  concern over illegal operation, the only systems that might do
                  that usually require you to create an "account" or some other
                  obscure way to identify you.

                  I have never used one of these systems (if they exist) because I
                  can barely remember my name, much less another URL to use.. When
                  I can more easily send any message or email from my HT or mobile
                  Ttpad using APRS.

                  So, my suggestion for this JOTA is not going to do you much
                  good, because 95% of ham radio has never used APRS and
                  apparently never will (its been out there for 15 years now), so
                  an APRS announcemnet will only hit the 5% of ham radio operators
                  that are active on APRS (if that many) in JOTA...

                  With Yaesu coming out with the VX8R HT for APRS plus the
                  existing three Kenwood APRS radios, I think APRS is here to
                  stay, so may as well get on board now...

                  Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a DTMF
                  keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
                  anywhere... See

                  www.aprs.org/aprstt.html

                  Good luck!
                  Bob

                  > > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to
                  distribute
                  > > the information.
                  > >
                  > > See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html
                  > >
                  > > Bob, Wb4APR
                • Jim Stafford W4QO
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                    Done.. I rearranged your info to fill in the fields as they are now.

                    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Phil Sohn <philsohn@...> wrote:

                    > Nice. Thanks for doing this. Is it possible to add a column for IRPL
                    node as well?

                    > Phil
                    > K7APS

                  • Jim Stafford W4QO
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                      Bob, Way Cool.. Thanks and I'll re-read the aprstt material more
                      carefully tonight. jim/w4qo

                      > Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a DTMF
                      > keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
                      > anywhere... See
                      >
                      > www.aprs.org/aprstt.html
                      >
                      > Good luck!
                      > Bob
                      >
                      > > > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to
                      > distribute
                      > > > the information.
                      > > >
                      > > > See www.aprs.org/cqsrvr.html
                      > > >
                      > > > Bob, Wb4APR

                    • Phil Sohn
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                        The repeater needs to support aprstt in order for this to work, right? Are any repeaters doing this? Is there a listing compiled someplace?

                        Phil, K7APS

                        To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
                        From: qrp@...
                        Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:01:55 +0000
                        Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: Station list ... how to compile

                        Bob, Way Cool.. Thanks and I'll re-read the aprstt material more
                        carefully tonight. jim/w4qo

                        > Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a DTMF
                        > keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
                        > anywhere... See
                        >
                        > www.aprs.org/ aprstt.html
                        >
                        > Good luck!
                        > Bob
                        >
                        > > > Anyway, just another way (using only ham radio) to
                        > distribute
                        > > > the information.
                        > > >
                        > > > See www.aprs.org/ cqsrvr.html
                        > > >
                        > > > Bob, Wb4APR

                      • Robert Bruninga
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                          > Subject: RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Station list ... how to compile
                          >
                          > The repeater needs to support aprstt in
                          > order for this to work, right?
                          > Are any repeaters doing this?
                          > Is there a listing compiled someplace?

                          Sorry I have confused the issue. The example I gave of sending
                          an APRS message to the world was using a full capable APRS radio
                          not APRStt.

                          Thought it could be used in the future via APRStt if someone
                          wanted to edit it in. But APRStt (using DTMF to send APRS from
                          any radio) is not yet implemented anywhere except a few
                          experimental stations in France and my original APRStt demo in
                          the USA 7 years ago.

                          So hang in there. APRStt (touch tone) will be here shortly. We
                          are still debating the final text-entry method for the DTMF
                          keypad.

                          www.aprs.org/aprstt.html

                          Thanks
                          Bob, Wb4APR

                          > Phil, K7APS
                          >

                          > ________________________________
                          >

                          > To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: qrp@...
                          > Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:01:55 +0000
                          > Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: Station list ... how to compile
                          >

                          > Bob, Way Cool.. Thanks and I'll re-read the aprstt material
                          more
                          > carefully tonight. jim/w4qo
                          > >
                          > > Oh, and now anyone with any old HT or mobile radio with a
                          DTMF
                          > > keypad can also enter information or logon to APRS from
                          > > anywhere... See
                          > >
                          > > www.aprs.org/aprstt.html
                          > >
                          > > Good luck!
                          > > Bob

                          > > distribute

                        • William Dale
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 7, 2008
                            In the San Jose, South SF Bay area Don Village, K6PBQ, will be operating
                            Jamboree on the Air on Saturday Oct.
                            18th from his home station. If you know any scouting groups that would
                            like to join him (boys or girls) please
                            e-mail donvillage7@...

                            William Dale - N2RHV -
                            Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
                            mailto:n2rhv@...
                            --
                            New ideas are not hard. It's letting go of the old ideas that is hard.
                            ==
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                              William,  Could you go on the yahoo website for this reflector and enter this (and any other you may know of) data in the DATABASE called JOTA2008?

                              I'm encouraging every known JOTA station to enter their date in that DATABASE so it can be easily printed and taken to the JOTA station site that weekend.  Just use the PRINTABLE REPORT function for that database for a full printout.

                              Thanks,  jim/ w4qo
                              CH. OP - W4S in Roswell, GA

                              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, William Dale <wld-lists@...> wrote:

                              > In the San Jose, South SF Bay area Don Village, K6PBQ, will be operating
                              > Jamboree on the Air on Saturday Oct.
                              > 18th from his home station. If you know any scouting groups that would
                              > like to join him (boys or girls) please
                              > e-mail donvillage7@...
                              >
                              > --
                              > --
                              > William Dale - N2RHV -
                              > Santa Clara Valley Section Manager, ARRL
                              > mailto:n2rhv@...
                              > --

                            • barry whittemore
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008

                                Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS passes will be for JOTA?  i have looked at a few sites but cant find any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
                                Thanks
                                Barry
                                WB1EDI    N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH

                              • montajoti
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                                  HELLO
                                  Peace to all of you guys
                                  The amateur radio club of tunisian scouts
                                  Will participate in the camp this year JOTA JOTI
                                  The camp this year in the form of a national gathering
                                  from 17 to 19 /10/2008 and amateur scouting as well as to frame the
                                  Scouts and help them to identify the hobby
                                  special CALL for this year TS75DF
                                  QTH BORJ CEDRIA LOC JM56DT
                                  ACTIVES IN ALL BANDS /ALL MODE

                                  Echolink :
                                  Node 400340
                                  best 73 and good jota
                                • kc8yjj
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                                    try a free program called Orbitron, works well for all sats. heavensabove.com also has the info.

                                    KC8YJJ
                                    Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS passes will be for JOTA?  i have looked at a few sites but cant find any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
                                    Thanks
                                    Barry
                                    WB1EDI    N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH

                                    Gary

                                    www.novasr-team.us

                                    I GoodSearch for NOVASAR.

                                    Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet or shopping online with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

                                  • Scott
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                                      Suggest going to this AMSAT site - http://www.amsat.org/amsat-
                                      new/tools/predict/ , enter your QTH info, under Show Predictions for,
                                      select 'ISS', then PREDICT button at bottom of page.

                                      Scott, nt5sm

                                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, barry whittemore <wb1edi@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Does anyone know of a web site that will predict when the ISS
                                      passes will be for JOTA? i have looked at a few sites but cant find
                                      any info. we would like to capture some of the SSTV images.
                                      > Thanks
                                      > Barry
                                      > WB1EDI N1S for JOTA from Camp Carpenter, Manchester, NH
                                      > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
                                      Windows Live.
                                      > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093185mrt/direct/01/

                                    • Ray Brown
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                                          If you look around enough in www.heavens-above.com , you can find a section
                                        called ISS - All Passes (not just the visible passes). But first you have to register
                                        your name and location. It's safe, the person running this web page is in Germany
                                        and he's been doing it for years.

                                          Then, once you get on, and get there, you will see a section that starts off like this:

                                        Click on the date to get a ground track plot.
                                        DateStartsMax. AltitudeEnds
                                        TimeAlt.Az.TimeAlt.Az.TimeAlt.Az.
                                        08 Oct13:00:4010WSW13:03:3560NW13:06:3110NE

                                          The basic thing is it shows, on this particular orbit, the pass is in your radio and
                                        eye range from the start time to the end time. A typical pass is only about 6 minutes.

                                          If you click on what's shaded in blue, things happen. If you click on the date,
                                        you will see where in the USA (in my case) the station will pass over, and pass
                                        within visual range of. Clicking on Alt. is the definition of "altitude", showing things
                                        from your point of view. Clicking on Az. does the same thing in "azimuth". Ditto
                                        for Altitude.

                                          The website only goes forward 10 days at a time, so by Friday it will have all
                                        the data for predicting all passes for the JOTA weekend. But what I see is not
                                        what you might see. Also bear in mind that the station will not be in your horizon
                                        every single orbit. But each orbit is about 90 minutes, so keep plugging away. :-)

                                                        Ray, KB0STN

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                                          Thanks for all the iss tracking info, i will check it all out. hopefully we can make contact or at least get some of the SSTV images.
                                          73
                                          Barry
                                          WB1EDI  N1S for JOTA

                                          To: scoutradio@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                                            The IRLP reflector 9254 and the Echlink node *HI-GATE* are permanently connected. I spoke with the node owner, and he thought that using these for JOTA was a great idea. Why don't we use these as a meeting place to find contacts? If it gets to bust, we can use it to coordinate point to point contacts.

                                            See www.narri.org and clink on Western Ref map to see connections for each of the 10 ref channels and you will see a table that explains the use of the channels. Note the explanation for channel 4; it describes Echo conference server *HI-GATE*.

                                            Phil
                                            K7APS
                                          • ki4fus@bellsouth.net