Re: [scoutradio] Re: radar?

  • Novatech Com. LTD.
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2000
      I hope that is the case. " REAL " radar is nothing to fool around with !
      Most
      people to not know this, but the most cheapest and junky little radars for
      your
      mom and pop toy 28 foot boat, puts out enough micro wave to damage the
      brain and eyes at close range like over 30 feet or less. Radar to work uses
      high power RF pulse. In the area of 300 watts and that is just a toy one
      that
      can only see about 5 miles or less. Real ships radar that sees for 25 miles
      or more uses power pulses of 10,000 watts to one which I saw, which was
      get this 80,000 watts !!! Here in Vancouver the standing joke is the
      radar
      at the air port here. Any car that gets within 500 or so feet of the radar
      shack
      get the cars computer burned out of it ! It's a ground and wind shear radar
      unit, and from what the tech's tell me the wind shear part of the radar unit
      puts
      out get this........sitting down for it.......1.8 MEGA watts, that's
      1,800,000 watts !!
      Can you spell brain damage ??

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2000
        From: Novatech Com. LTD. <novatech@...>

        > Radar, as in a ships radar, is this what you are looking for? Or a radar
        > gun like
        > police use for clocking speed ???

        What I posted was all I knew on the subject.

        I kind of agree, they probably meant to say an electric eye setup for accurately showing which side won. Speed is not a
        factor, they want the cars that get across the finish line first. :-)

        _Ray_
      • Ray Vaughan
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2000
          At 10:20 PM 11/6/00 -0600, you wrote:
> [...]

          I suspect they want a hand-held speed radar gun to let the kids know just how fast they got it. Check with a cop and see if he'll stop by, or a baseball coach. Both should have access to them. I have one personally I got at a hamfest and would be happy to loan it out if you were local to Miami.

          Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
          KD4BBM PG-7-15266
          http://www.rayvaughan.com/
          ray@...
          ray@...
        • Jon Pearl W4ABC
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2000
            Hi Ray...

            Dan (K4ACE) bought one a few years back at the Orlando Hamfest. We just had
            to check it out on I-4 on the way back to St. Pete. It worked so well, that
            we had no competition for the fast lane!

            73,

            Jon Pearl W4ABC
            WA4BSA Trustee