Re: [ScoutRadio] About visit to USA and Canada wishing eyeball QSO

  • Mark Phillips
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2008
      Hi Dawood,

      I can't speak for Canada but south of the border in the USA things are
      dealt with on a district by district basis. The Scout Council in your
      local district will probably have a shop in their HQ.

      As for operating, are you in a CEPT country? If so then you're good for
      upto 6 months in both the US and Canada. Just make sure to bring plenty
      of copies of your ticket. Also, be aware that you may only operate in
      the parts of the spectrum that match your band plan. (this is a problem
      for EU amateurs as the are only allowed access to the lower ends of the
      V/UHF bands where the repeaters are NOT located)

      Where in the US are you going? If you are in the New York City area drop
      me a line. I'd be happy to show you around and take you out to our local
      Scout Camp facilities.

      Mark

      On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 06:50 +0000, Dawood VR2XNG wrote:
      > Hi follow Radio Scouters,
      >
      > I am a Scouter, Dawood VR2XNG from Wan Chai District of Hong Kong
      > Island Region (HKIR). I will be visiting New York and Toronto area
      > during a business trip.
      >
      > Would anyone tell me how I could apply a temp permit to operate in
      > Canada?
      >
      > Just wonder if you could kindly tell me where the Scout shops are and
      > places for visit, e.g. local radio clubs and meeting times.
      >
      > If someone is free, we can come out for an eyeball qso and badge
      > exchange.
      >
      > Best 73 and happy JOTA,
      >
      > Dawood Ng
      > HKIR IT Club VR2S
      > Skype: dawoodng
      > MSN: burningwoodhk@...

      > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

      Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
      Randolph, NJ
    • Bill Stewart
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2008
        Dawood,
        As far as reciprocal operation please check the following website http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/recip.html
        This is the list of countries which the US has reciprocal agreements and I do not see China or Hong Kong there. There is also
        a link for more information.

        73,

        Bill, W2BSA

        Dawood VR2XNG wrote:

        Hi follow Radio Scouters,

        I am a Scouter, Dawood VR2XNG from Wan Chai District of Hong Kong
        Island Region (HKIR). I will be visiting New York and Toronto area
        during a business trip.

        Would anyone tell me how I could apply a temp permit to operate in
        Canada?

        Just wonder if you could kindly tell me where the Scout shops are and
        places for visit, e.g. local radio clubs and meeting times.

        If someone is free, we can come out for an eyeball qso and badge
        exchange.

        Best 73 and happy JOTA,

        Dawood Ng
        HKIR IT Club VR2S
        Skype: dawoodng
        MSN: burningwoodhk@ hotmail.com

      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2008
          Hi Dawood,

          It does not appear that Canada has a reciprocal operating agreement
          with China or HKIR. Ref: http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/country.htm

          73, Frank KR1ZAN

          On Sep 14, 2008, at 2:50 AM, Dawood VR2XNG wrote:

          > Hi follow Radio Scouters,
          >
          > I am a Scouter, Dawood VR2XNG from Wan Chai District of Hong Kong
          > Island Region (HKIR). I will be visiting New York and Toronto area
          > during a business trip.
          >
          > Would anyone tell me how I could apply a temp permit to operate in
          > Canada?
          >
          > Just wonder if you could kindly tell me where the Scout shops are and
          > places for visit, e.g. local radio clubs and meeting times.
          >
          > If someone is free, we can come out for an eyeball qso and badge
          > exchange.
          >
          > Best 73 and happy JOTA,
          >
          > Dawood Ng
          > HKIR IT Club VR2S
          > Skype: dawoodng
          > MSN: burningwoodhk@...

        • Don Poaps
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
            Questions about Operating an Amateur Station in Canada

            Q - I hold a CEPT licence. Can I operate in Canada?

            A - Yes. See the CEPT permit page on this web site for all the necessary
            information.

            Q - I hold an IARP permit. Can I operate in Canada?

            A - Yes. See the IARP permit page on this web site for all the necessary
            information.

            http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/smt-gst.nsf/en/sf01701e.html#third53

            5.2.3 Other Foreign Operating Arrangements or Agreements

            Any foreign administration may determine whether or not to permit a Canadian
            amateur to operate an amateur station while he/she is temporarily in its
            territory, subject to such conditions or restrictions it may impose.

            Information about operation in other countries can be found on the RAC Web
            site. Canadians are urged to contact the responsible administrations well in
            advance in order to obtain the necessary documentation and permission, if
            required.

            5.3 Third-party Agreements and Arrangements

            International third-party communication in case of emergencies or disaster
            relief is expressly permitted unless specifically prohibited by a foreign
            administration.

            Any foreign administration may permit its amateur stations to communicate on
            behalf of third parties without having to enter into any special
            arrangements with Canada.

            Canada does not prohibit international communications on behalf of third
            parties.

            73

            Don VA7DGP
            > It does not appear that Canada has a reciprocal operating agreement
            > with China or HKIR. Ref: http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/country.htm
            >
            > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
            >

            > On Sep 14, 2008, at 2:50 AM, Dawood VR2XNG wrote:
            >
            >> Hi follow Radio Scouters,
            >>
            >> I am a Scouter, Dawood VR2XNG from Wan Chai District of Hong Kong
            >> Island Region (HKIR). I will be visiting New York and Toronto area
            >> during a business trip.
            >>
            >> Would anyone tell me how I could apply a temp permit to operate in
            >> Canada?
            >>
            >> Just wonder if you could kindly tell me where the Scout shops are and
            >> places for visit, e.g. local radio clubs and meeting times.
            >>
            >> If someone is free, we can come out for an eyeball qso and badge
            >> exchange.
            >>
            >> Best 73 and happy JOTA,
            >>
            >> Dawood Ng
            >> HKIR IT Club VR2S
            >> Skype: dawoodng
            >> MSN: burningwoodhk@...

            > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          • Don Poaps
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
              HONG KONG Hong Kong Amateur Radio Transmitting Society [HARTS]
              Location: Room 230, 2/F, 45, Fuk Tsuen Street, Tai Kok Tsui, Mong Kok
              Address: G.P.O. Box 541, Hong Kong
              Tel: +852 8112 1812 <Hotline>, 9870 9359 <VR2BBC>, +852 9097 7790 <VR2XGE>
              Fax: +852 2637 8977
              Email: excom2008@... <HQ>
              Web: http://www.harts.org.hk
              President: Sunny Chan, VR2XGE
              Vice President: Chun Hung Ho, VR2YPK
              Secretary: Albert Fung, VR2YDR
              IARU Liaison: Paul Wesley Anderson, VR2BBC
              Last updated: 5-Feb-2008

              The above is part of IARU and I also forwarded Dawood email to www.rac.ca
              for further help and info.

              Don VA7DGP