About visit to USA and Canada wishing eyeball QSO

  • Dawood VR2XNG
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 13, 2008
      Hi follow Radio Scouters,

      I am a Scouter, Dawood VR2XNG from Wan Chai District of Hong Kong
      Island Region (HKIR). I will be visiting New York and Toronto area
      during a business trip.

      Would anyone tell me how I could apply a temp permit to operate in
      Canada?

      Just wonder if you could kindly tell me where the Scout shops are and
      places for visit, e.g. local radio clubs and meeting times.

      If someone is free, we can come out for an eyeball qso and badge
      exchange.

      Best 73 and happy JOTA,

      Dawood Ng
      HKIR IT Club VR2S
      Skype: dawoodng
      MSN: burningwoodhk@...
    • Mark Phillips
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2008
        Hi Dawood,

        I can't speak for Canada but south of the border in the USA things are
        dealt with on a district by district basis. The Scout Council in your
        local district will probably have a shop in their HQ.

        As for operating, are you in a CEPT country? If so then you're good for
        upto 6 months in both the US and Canada. Just make sure to bring plenty
        of copies of your ticket. Also, be aware that you may only operate in
        the parts of the spectrum that match your band plan. (this is a problem
        for EU amateurs as the are only allowed access to the lower ends of the
        V/UHF bands where the repeaters are NOT located)

        Where in the US are you going? If you are in the New York City area drop
        me a line. I'd be happy to show you around and take you out to our local
        Scout Camp facilities.

        Mark

        On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 06:50 +0000, Dawood VR2XNG wrote:
        > Hi follow Radio Scouters,
        >
        > I am a Scouter, Dawood VR2XNG from Wan Chai District of Hong Kong
        > Island Region (HKIR). I will be visiting New York and Toronto area
        > during a business trip.
        >
        > Would anyone tell me how I could apply a temp permit to operate in
        > Canada?
        >
        > Just wonder if you could kindly tell me where the Scout shops are and
        > places for visit, e.g. local radio clubs and meeting times.
        >
        > If someone is free, we can come out for an eyeball qso and badge
        > exchange.
        >
        > Best 73 and happy JOTA,
        >
        > Dawood Ng
        > HKIR IT Club VR2S
        > Skype: dawoodng
        > MSN: burningwoodhk@...

        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
        Randolph, NJ
      • Bill Stewart
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2008
          Dawood,
          As far as reciprocal operation please check the following website http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/recip.html
          This is the list of countries which the US has reciprocal agreements and I do not see China or Hong Kong there. There is also
          a link for more information.

          73,

          Bill, W2BSA

          Dawood VR2XNG wrote:

          Hi follow Radio Scouters,

          I am a Scouter, Dawood VR2XNG from Wan Chai District of Hong Kong
          Island Region (HKIR). I will be visiting New York and Toronto area
          during a business trip.

          Would anyone tell me how I could apply a temp permit to operate in
          Canada?

          Just wonder if you could kindly tell me where the Scout shops are and
          places for visit, e.g. local radio clubs and meeting times.

          If someone is free, we can come out for an eyeball qso and badge
          exchange.

          Best 73 and happy JOTA,

          Dawood Ng
          HKIR IT Club VR2S
          Skype: dawoodng
          MSN: burningwoodhk@ hotmail.com

        • Frank Krizan
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 14, 2008
            Hi Dawood,

            It does not appear that Canada has a reciprocal operating agreement
            with China or HKIR. Ref: http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/country.htm

            73, Frank KR1ZAN

            On Sep 14, 2008, at 2:50 AM, Dawood VR2XNG wrote:

            > Hi follow Radio Scouters,
            >
            > I am a Scouter, Dawood VR2XNG from Wan Chai District of Hong Kong
            > Island Region (HKIR). I will be visiting New York and Toronto area
            > during a business trip.
            >
            > Would anyone tell me how I could apply a temp permit to operate in
            > Canada?
            >
            > Just wonder if you could kindly tell me where the Scout shops are and
            > places for visit, e.g. local radio clubs and meeting times.
            >
            > If someone is free, we can come out for an eyeball qso and badge
            > exchange.
            >
            > Best 73 and happy JOTA,
            >
            > Dawood Ng
            > HKIR IT Club VR2S
            > Skype: dawoodng
            > MSN: burningwoodhk@...

          • Don Poaps
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
              Questions about Operating an Amateur Station in Canada

              Q - I hold a CEPT licence. Can I operate in Canada?

              A - Yes. See the CEPT permit page on this web site for all the necessary
              information.

              Q - I hold an IARP permit. Can I operate in Canada?

              A - Yes. See the IARP permit page on this web site for all the necessary
              information.

              http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/smt-gst.nsf/en/sf01701e.html#third53

              5.2.3 Other Foreign Operating Arrangements or Agreements

              Any foreign administration may determine whether or not to permit a Canadian
              amateur to operate an amateur station while he/she is temporarily in its
              territory, subject to such conditions or restrictions it may impose.

              Information about operation in other countries can be found on the RAC Web
              site. Canadians are urged to contact the responsible administrations well in
              advance in order to obtain the necessary documentation and permission, if
              required.

              5.3 Third-party Agreements and Arrangements

              International third-party communication in case of emergencies or disaster
              relief is expressly permitted unless specifically prohibited by a foreign
              administration.

              Any foreign administration may permit its amateur stations to communicate on
              behalf of third parties without having to enter into any special
              arrangements with Canada.

              Canada does not prohibit international communications on behalf of third
              parties.

              73

              Don VA7DGP
              > It does not appear that Canada has a reciprocal operating agreement
              > with China or HKIR. Ref: http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/country.htm
              >
              > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
              >

              > On Sep 14, 2008, at 2:50 AM, Dawood VR2XNG wrote:
              >
              >> Hi follow Radio Scouters,
              >>
              >> I am a Scouter, Dawood VR2XNG from Wan Chai District of Hong Kong
              >> Island Region (HKIR). I will be visiting New York and Toronto area
              >> during a business trip.
              >>
              >> Would anyone tell me how I could apply a temp permit to operate in
              >> Canada?
              >>
              >> Just wonder if you could kindly tell me where the Scout shops are and
              >> places for visit, e.g. local radio clubs and meeting times.
              >>
              >> If someone is free, we can come out for an eyeball qso and badge
              >> exchange.
              >>
              >> Best 73 and happy JOTA,
              >>
              >> Dawood Ng
              >> HKIR IT Club VR2S
              >> Skype: dawoodng
              >> MSN: burningwoodhk@...

              > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

            • Don Poaps
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
                HONG KONG Hong Kong Amateur Radio Transmitting Society [HARTS]
                Location: Room 230, 2/F, 45, Fuk Tsuen Street, Tai Kok Tsui, Mong Kok
                Address: G.P.O. Box 541, Hong Kong
                Tel: +852 8112 1812 <Hotline>, 9870 9359 <VR2BBC>, +852 9097 7790 <VR2XGE>
                Fax: +852 2637 8977
                Email: excom2008@... <HQ>
                Web: http://www.harts.org.hk
                President: Sunny Chan, VR2XGE
                Vice President: Chun Hung Ho, VR2YPK
                Secretary: Albert Fung, VR2YDR
                IARU Liaison: Paul Wesley Anderson, VR2BBC
                Last updated: 5-Feb-2008

                The above is part of IARU and I also forwarded Dawood email to www.rac.ca
                for further help and info.

                Don VA7DGP