New BSA Radio Merit Badege Requirments and Pamphlets.

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2008
      BSA just issued new full color versions of EVERY merit badge
      pamphlet. They are very cool!

      The requirements for Radio Merit Badge have changed slightly, mostly
      improve the wording and flow, but be advised the numbers for some
      requirements are now different.

      In addition, the requirement for exploring careers in radio is now
      required for all three options. Also, the safety requirement is more
      specific about grounding. In the Amateur option, the Scout now has
      to explain the differences between the 3 US license classes. In the
      broadcast track, he now can use digital recording techniques and
      must explain formats and audiences. In the shortwave track, he only
      has to to listen for four one hour periods now.

      I'll be updating my Radio Merit Badge website over the next few
      weeks to reflect all of this. I've uploaded the requirements as a
      word file to this Yahoo Group Site for your reference in the meantime.

      73

      Gary, K2GW
    • Gary Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2008
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...> wrote:

        > BSA just issued new full color versions of EVERY merit badge
        > pamphlet. They are very cool!
        >
        > The requirements for Radio Merit Badge have changed slightly,
        mostly to improve the wording and flow, but be advised the numbers
        for some requirements are now different.

        I've now updated the Radio Merit Badge Site to reflect the new
        September 2008 Radio Merit Badge Pamphlet and requirements. You can
        reach it at http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/ . Please look
        through it and let me know if there are any corrections that need to
        be made.

        Note that the workbook downloaded from www.meritbadge.com reflects
        the older requirements, but we'll need to wait for them to update
        their site and workbook which we link to. However, the diferences
        aren't that much except for the numbering of the requirements, so the
        old workbook is still somewhat useable in the interim.

        The PowerPoint slides and student workbooks on the Radio Merit Badge
        Day site have been updated. Older versions are now obsolete, so
        please download the new ones if you're planning to run a Radio Merit
        Badge course.

        Thanks for offering Radio Merit Badge to the scouts in your area!

        73

        Gary Wilson, K2GW
        Unit Commissioner
        Mercer Area District
        Central New Jersey Council
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2008
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...> wrote:

          > The PowerPoint slides and student workbooks on the Radio Merit Badge
          > Day site have been updated. Older versions are now obsolete, so
          > please download the new ones if you're planning to run a Radio Merit
          > Badge course.

          I've now loaded updated copies of the PowerPoint slides and student
          workbooks to the files area of this Yahoo Group as well. Please
          download a set and let other hams know about them.