Re: KX5BSA

  • n5gui
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
      A few years ago I was the "engineer" on a project sponsored by our
      company's amateur radio club to build code practice oscillators. What
      I came up with was a 555 circuit driving a piezo "speaker". The key
      was a strip of aluminm bar stock with a knob from a half a wooden spool
      and a poker chip, mounted on top of a baseball collector card box which
      served to contain the electronics and battery. The total build was
      either 36 or 50 units for a little more than $2 each ( exclusive of the
      9V batteries which were supplied outside my work ). The clear plastic
      box allowed us to include out club logo.

      The 555 circuit that was the basis for the code practice oscillator was
      derived from a circuit that I had used to control a laser pointer in a
      light communication project, so the sound output of the CPO had the
      same square wave quality that my light beam project did.

      Depending on the skill level of your group, and of course your budget,
      you could do some very interesting things. It is very simple to
      substitute a bright LED for the speaker. Now you have a transmitter at
      a few hundred Tera-Hertz ( no license required ). It can be received
      by eye, or use a photo detector with an amplifier. Use some curved
      mirrors or lenses to demonstrate antenna gain versus beam width.

      It is a small step to go from modulating an LED with Morse Code to
      voice amplitude modulation, but you lose the ability to "copy by eye".
      But the photo detector with amplifier works nicely.

      Rather than use voice, set up stations across the camp with PSK31.

      I doubt there is time to do it this year, but but a group of scouts
      with a little leadership and help could build a system equivalent to
      what set the light communication voice distance record of 173 miles.
      If you sparked enough interest they could be testing it next Summer and
      put on a fine demonstration by JOTA 2009.

      If light communication is not your thing, a little bit of electronics
      could produce a two inch diameter speaker wired to "talk" by sending
      out PSK31 audio and "listen" by receiving them. Mount that two inch
      diameter speaker at the focus of parabolic reflector ( made by some
      Scouts out of paper machet ). Sending text messages by sound waves for
      several hundred, maybe a few thousand, feet does not match talking to
      Europe on the radio. But it does teach electronics. It is well within
      the skills of the Scouts. Doesn't require a license. Might be fun.

      Best Wishes

      James
      n5gui

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ab5eb" <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:

      > What ideas do you guys have for the scouts outside of the radio
      > station itself?
    • ab5eb
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
        Hey guys,

        I will be leaving for Bear Creek (TX-02) in the morning and should be out there for 3 or 4 days.

        Mike AB5EB
        www.scota.us
      • Martin A Flynn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
          InfoAge in Wall Township, New Jersey is considering making the Diana
          Site on the banks of the Shark River available for low-impact overnight
          camping. The Diana site is the home of the Ocean-Monmouth Amateur Radio
          Club, N2MO, and the InfoAge Museum.

          If your troop is interested in a bit of Radio Scouting, along with a
          visit to the InfoAge museum <http://www.infoage.org>, please reply to
          the group.

          Link to Site photographs:
          http://www.infoage.org/exhibits/ocean-monmouth-amateur-radio-club/diana-site-tour.html