Re: [ScoutRadio] KX5BSA

  • AF6AX
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2008
      Radio direction finding (local fox-hunt)
      Cheap two-way radios (simulate JOTA contacts so they get comfortable with the flow of making contacts)
      Electronics experimentation station (like those 100-in-one kits that Radio Shack used to sell)
      Morse code practice station
      Kit building station (if you have the budget for it, or can ask for donations)
         Let them build something very simple and cheap, and KEEP IT.
         A simple side-tone generator and straight key can be built for a few dollars.
      Meet the merit badge counselor station, with handouts or worksheets to get them started on the MB.

      For what it's worth, I really, really, REALLY like the map idea.
      I wish I had thought of it before.  (duh, I'm a geographer after all)
      Mount the maps to some corrugated cardboard so you can use push-pins to mark the contacts.
      Consider online mapping sites, since kids these days may enjoy the online mapping more than paper maps.  Not that I understand that mindset at all.

      Yours in service,

      -Mark Z, AF6AX

      On 9/5/08, ab5eb <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:

      The South Texas Scouting Radio Club will be hosting a JOTA event this
      year. www.kx5bsa.org

      What ideas do you guys have for the scouts outside of the radio
      station itself? I was thinking of having a radio/antenna building
      station, qsl card exhibit and maps to plot all our contacts. Any other
      ideas?

      Thanks

      Mike

    • Phil Sohn (MSN)

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2008
          1) "straight" key
          This one is almost too simple to believe, and yet is fun to build and
          looks way more cool than you would at first suppose.

          http://www.qsl.net/w0pwe/Finished_Projects/Paperclip_Key/Paper_Clip_Key.html

          To make it even cheaper, I replaced the knob by cutting a dowel into
          short pieces.
          It ends up flat on top instead of round, but looks/works the same.

          I pre-drill the blocks so the screws go in easy.
          That way even the youngest Cubscout can put it together.

          2) side tone generator
          Find a supply of cheap piezoelectric buzzers and hook them to 9v batteries.
          Mount it all on a board (or the same board as the straight-key).

          You can buy 9v battery clips for a quarter, even at Radio Shack.
          Shop around for 9 or 10 cents each.
          You can get them for free by disassembling old batteries.
          If you go this route, solder on the leads before hand.
          It takes a fair bit of heat and the scouts will likely melt the
          plastic before the solder sticks.

          Everybody changes 9v batteries out of smoke alarms every six months, right?
          I save the used ones. They have plenty of charge for this application.
          Wala! an infinite supply of still-operational batteries (and clips)

          3) bonus
          Talking about the 9v batteries reminds me of another fun-and-easy project.
          http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/04/make_a_9v_led_lamp.html

          There's lots of other web pages that describe mostly the same thing with
          small variations. Use one of the many online resistor calculators for
          this application. My two favorites are:

          http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
          http://ledcalc.com/

          I took one of these with me on a five day backpacking trip up the back
          side of Mount Whitney this summer. Even if you leave it plugged in
          overnight, it still emits enough light to get you through the trip.

          Cheers,

          -Mark Z, AF6AX

          > Do you have instructions/schematics for the simple side-tone generator and straight keys that you have used in the past?

        • n5gui
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
            A few years ago I was the "engineer" on a project sponsored by our
            company's amateur radio club to build code practice oscillators. What
            I came up with was a 555 circuit driving a piezo "speaker". The key
            was a strip of aluminm bar stock with a knob from a half a wooden spool
            and a poker chip, mounted on top of a baseball collector card box which
            served to contain the electronics and battery. The total build was
            either 36 or 50 units for a little more than $2 each ( exclusive of the
            9V batteries which were supplied outside my work ). The clear plastic
            box allowed us to include out club logo.

            The 555 circuit that was the basis for the code practice oscillator was
            derived from a circuit that I had used to control a laser pointer in a
            light communication project, so the sound output of the CPO had the
            same square wave quality that my light beam project did.

            Depending on the skill level of your group, and of course your budget,
            you could do some very interesting things. It is very simple to
            substitute a bright LED for the speaker. Now you have a transmitter at
            a few hundred Tera-Hertz ( no license required ). It can be received
            by eye, or use a photo detector with an amplifier. Use some curved
            mirrors or lenses to demonstrate antenna gain versus beam width.

            It is a small step to go from modulating an LED with Morse Code to
            voice amplitude modulation, but you lose the ability to "copy by eye".
            But the photo detector with amplifier works nicely.

            Rather than use voice, set up stations across the camp with PSK31.

            I doubt there is time to do it this year, but but a group of scouts
            with a little leadership and help could build a system equivalent to
            what set the light communication voice distance record of 173 miles.
            If you sparked enough interest they could be testing it next Summer and
            put on a fine demonstration by JOTA 2009.

            If light communication is not your thing, a little bit of electronics
            could produce a two inch diameter speaker wired to "talk" by sending
            out PSK31 audio and "listen" by receiving them. Mount that two inch
            diameter speaker at the focus of parabolic reflector ( made by some
            Scouts out of paper machet ). Sending text messages by sound waves for
            several hundred, maybe a few thousand, feet does not match talking to
            Europe on the radio. But it does teach electronics. It is well within
            the skills of the Scouts. Doesn't require a license. Might be fun.

            Best Wishes

            James
            n5gui

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ab5eb" <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:

            > What ideas do you guys have for the scouts outside of the radio
            > station itself?
          • ab5eb
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
              Hey guys,

              I will be leaving for Bear Creek (TX-02) in the morning and should be out there for 3 or 4 days.

              Mike AB5EB
              www.scota.us
            • Martin A Flynn
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
                InfoAge in Wall Township, New Jersey is considering making the Diana
                Site on the banks of the Shark River available for low-impact overnight
                camping. The Diana site is the home of the Ocean-Monmouth Amateur Radio
                Club, N2MO, and the InfoAge Museum.

                If your troop is interested in a bit of Radio Scouting, along with a
                visit to the InfoAge museum <http://www.infoage.org>, please reply to
                the group.

                Link to Site photographs:
                http://www.infoage.org/exhibits/ocean-monmouth-amateur-radio-club/diana-site-tour.html