Re: [scoutradio] Re: radar?

  • Novatech Com. LTD.
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2000
      What type of radar thing are you looking for ????

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2000
          Radar, as in a ships radar, is this what you are looking for? Or a radar
          gun like
          police use for clocking speed ???

          here is also on that List, BUT they pose an
          >interesting question and I don't think anyone offers any kind of a real
          "portable" RADAR device for $200. Anyone else here
          >know of any?
          >
          > _Ray_ KB0STN
          > ADL, Den 3, Pack 77
          > Ozarks Trail Council, Joplin, MO
          > raybrown@...
          >

          ><<I just got back from the monthy leader's meeting. With the extra popcorn
          >money, our pack want to buy some sort of radar device ($200) for the
          pinewood
          >derby. Anybody know anything about that kind of stuff?
          >
          >Lisa
          >Wolf Den Leader
          >Den 6, Pack 381
          >Hicksville, NY>>

        • Wayne R. Hatfield
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2000
            They are probably talking about an electric eye, similar to something that
            counts people coming thru a door. You can set them up anyway you what.
            here is also on that List, BUT they pose an
            > interesting question and I don't think anyone offers any kind of a real
            "portable" RADAR device for $200. Anyone else here
            > know of any?
            >
            > _Ray_ KB0STN
            > ADL, Den 3, Pack 77
            > Ozarks Trail Council, Joplin, MO
            > raybrown@...
            >

            > <<I just got back from the monthy leader's meeting. With the extra popcorn
            > money, our pack want to buy some sort of radar device ($200) for the
            pinewood
            > derby. Anybody know anything about that kind of stuff?
            >
            > Lisa
            > Wolf Den Leader
            > Den 6, Pack 381
            > Hicksville, NY>>

          • Novatech Com. LTD.
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2000
              I hope that is the case. " REAL " radar is nothing to fool around with !
              Most
              people to not know this, but the most cheapest and junky little radars for
              your
              mom and pop toy 28 foot boat, puts out enough micro wave to damage the
              brain and eyes at close range like over 30 feet or less. Radar to work uses
              high power RF pulse. In the area of 300 watts and that is just a toy one
              that
              can only see about 5 miles or less. Real ships radar that sees for 25 miles
              or more uses power pulses of 10,000 watts to one which I saw, which was
              get this 80,000 watts !!! Here in Vancouver the standing joke is the
              radar
              at the air port here. Any car that gets within 500 or so feet of the radar
              shack
              get the cars computer burned out of it ! It's a ground and wind shear radar
              unit, and from what the tech's tell me the wind shear part of the radar unit
              puts
              out get this........sitting down for it.......1.8 MEGA watts, that's
              1,800,000 watts !!
              Can you spell brain damage ??

              >They are probably talking about an electric eye, similar to something that
              >counts people coming thru a door. You can set them up anyway you what.

            • Ray Brown
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2000
                From: Novatech Com. LTD. <novatech@...>

                > Radar, as in a ships radar, is this what you are looking for? Or a radar
                > gun like
                > police use for clocking speed ???

                What I posted was all I knew on the subject.

                I kind of agree, they probably meant to say an electric eye setup for accurately showing which side won. Speed is not a
                factor, they want the cars that get across the finish line first. :-)

                _Ray_
              • Ray Vaughan
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2000
                  At 10:20 PM 11/6/00 -0600, you wrote:
> [...]

                  I suspect they want a hand-held speed radar gun to let the kids know just how fast they got it. Check with a cop and see if he'll stop by, or a baseball coach. Both should have access to them. I have one personally I got at a hamfest and would be happy to loan it out if you were local to Miami.

                  Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
                  KD4BBM PG-7-15266
                  http://www.rayvaughan.com/
                  ray@...
                  ray@...
                • Jon Pearl W4ABC
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 7, 2000
                    Hi Ray...

                    Dan (K4ACE) bought one a few years back at the Orlando Hamfest. We just had
                    to check it out on I-4 on the way back to St. Pete. It worked so well, that
                    we had no competition for the fast lane!

                    73,

                    Jon Pearl W4ABC
                    WA4BSA Trustee