Re: [ScoutRadio] OT: Stolen Radio Badges

  • andrewscarr@uk2.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
      Demi and Jochen both operated the station GB100J, in Essex last Year.

      73

      Andrew
      G0LWU

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
        Hi David,
        Good to meet you. Demi is on his way to SW Nevada here in the States. He is part of
        a team from the Explorers Club that is going there to try and find Steve Fossett's airplane and from there inform the authorities so that they can recover his body.
        As you may be aware Steve Fossett was the balloonist that completed the first round the world  non-stop
        balloon flight. He crashed his airplane in the Rocky Mountains. Demi's job will be logistics and will be doing long distance communications on
        20 meters. He will get back in mid September.  I have forwarded the email from Clay so that when he visits  swap meets  he can check.

        Best 73,

        Bill, W2BSA

        David Hutchinson wrote:

        Hi Bill
        Demi, Jochen and I were operators on the team of GB100J at the World
        Scout Jamboree in Essex, England in August 2008 so Demi knows Jochen
        and may well be familiar with the JOTA badge blankets in question.

        73
        David GI4FUM/EI4DJ

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, Bill Stewart - W2BSA <w2bsa@...>
        wrote:

        > I shall do as requested and forward the email to a friend of mine
        who is an
        > avid collector as well. His name is Demi K4BSA. He is a dear
        friend of mine
        > and knows well the value of collecting Scouting items.
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Bill W2BSA
        >
        > ClayMayrose@ ... wrote:
        > >
        > > Forwarded from another list. originator:
        > > smudgegs@... <mailto:smudgegs@ ...>
        > >
        > > Ladies and Gents,
        > >
        > > A HAM I know, Jochen DK8ZM, is a keen collector of Scout Radio
        badges
        > > and had possibly the largest collection anywhere until they were
        > > unfortunately recently stolen (approx 300 rare badges). Anyone
        who
        > > collects radio ephemera will understand the upset this will have
        caused.

        > > I would like to politely request everyone to keep an eye out and
        if you
        > > hear of any unusual or large numbers of JOTA or radio scouting
        badges
        > > appearing then please do let him know (or me and I'll pass the
        message
        > > on)
        > >
        > > Thanks for your anticipated help and please accept my apologies
        for the
        > > off topic post, it's my small "good turn" to a Scouter badly
        done by :(

        > > Again, thank you and 73,
        > > Gordon MMØGSS

        -------
        > > It's only a deal if it's where /you/ want to go. Find your
        travel deal
        > > *here*
        > > <http://information. travel.aol. com/deals?
        ncid=aoltrv00050000 000047>.

      • David Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2008
          Hi Bill

          Yes I remember Steve Fossett and the crash last year. That sounds
          like a worthwhile expedition. I hope they are successful.

          Look out for 3DA0JOTA during Jamboree on the Air this year. I am
          heading down to Swaziland in October for JOTA and then CQWW SSB the
          following weekend. The CQWW callsign will probably be 3DA0DJ.

          73
          David GI4FUM/EI4DJ/3DA0DJ

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...> wrote:

          > Hi David,
          > Good to meet you. Demi is on his way to SW Nevada here in the
          States. He
          > is part of
          > a team from the Explorers Club that is going there to try and find
          Steve
          > Fossett's airplane and from there inform the authorities so that
          they
          > can recover his body.
          > As you may be aware Steve Fossett was the balloonist that
          completed the
          > first round the world non-stop
          > balloon flight. He crashed his airplane in the Rocky Mountains.
          Demi's
          > job will be logistics and will be doing long distance
          communications on
          > 20 meters. He will get back in mid September. I have forwarded
          the
          > email from Clay so that when he visits swap meets he can check.
          >
          > Best 73,
          >
          > Bill, W2BSA
          >
          > David Hutchinson wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Bill
          > > Demi, Jochen and I were operators on the team of GB100J at the
          World
          > > Scout Jamboree in Essex, England in August 2008 so Demi knows
          Jochen
          > > and may well be familiar with the JOTA badge blankets in
          question.

          > > 73
          > > David GI4FUM/EI4DJ
          > >
          > > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
          > > <mailto:ScoutRadio%40yahoogroups.com>, Bill Stewart - W2BSA
          <w2bsa@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I shall do as requested and forward the email to a friend of
          mine
          > > who is an
          > > > avid collector as well. His name is Demi K4BSA. He is a dear
          > > friend of mine
          > > > and knows well the value of collecting Scouting items.
          > > >
          > > > 73,
          > > >
          > > > Bill W2BSA

          Radio
          > > badges
          Anyone
          > > who
          > > caused.

          > > if you
          > > badges
          > > message

          > > for the
          > > done by :(

          > > -------
          > > travel deal
          > > <http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?>
          > > ncid=aoltrv00050000000047>.

          8/21/2008 6:54 PM

        • Matt Murphy
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2008
            David GI4FUM/EI4DJ/3DA0DJ wrote:
            > As you may be aware Steve Fossett was the balloonist that
            completed the
            > first round the world non-stop
            > balloon flight.

            David,
            Actually he was the 1st SOLO balloonist that made it around the world non-stop.
            The 1st balloonists that made it around the world were Bertrand Piccard and Brian Jones
            beginning March 1, 1999 and ended 20 days later in the Breitling Orbiter 3.

            Thanks for the info Bill.  I wish them luck!

            Matt Murphy
            kc8bew