Re: [ScoutRadio] OT: Stolen Radio Badges

  • Bill Stewart - W2BSA
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
      I shall do as requested and forward the email to a friend of mine who is an
      avid collector as well. His name is Demi K4BSA. He is a dear friend of mine
      and knows well the value of collecting Scouting items.

      73,

      Bill W2BSA

      ClayMayrose@... wrote:

      Forwarded from another list. originator:

      Ladies and Gents,

      A HAM I know, Jochen DK8ZM, is a keen collector of Scout Radio badges
      and had possibly the largest collection anywhere until they were
      unfortunately recently stolen (approx 300 rare badges). Anyone who
      collects radio ephemera will understand the upset this will have caused.

      I would like to politely request everyone to keep an eye out and if you
      hear of any unusual or large numbers of JOTA or radio scouting badges
      appearing then please do let him know (or me and I'll pass the message
      on)

      Thanks for your anticipated help and please accept my apologies for the
      off topic post, it's my small "good turn" to a Scouter badly done by :(

      Again, thank you and 73,
      Gordon MMØGSS

    • andrewscarr@uk2.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
        Demi and Jochen both operated the station GB100J, in Essex last Year.

        73

        Andrew
        G0LWU

        ClayMayrose@... wrote:

        > Forwarded from another list. originator:
        > smudgegs@... <mailto:smudgegs@...>
        >
        > Ladies and Gents,
        >
        > A HAM I know, Jochen DK8ZM, is a keen collector of Scout Radio badges
        > and had possibly the largest collection anywhere until they were
        > unfortunately recently stolen (approx 300 rare badges). Anyone who
        > collects radio ephemera will understand the upset this will have caused.
        >
        > I would like to politely request everyone to keep an eye out and if you
        > hear of any unusual or large numbers of JOTA or radio scouting badges
        > appearing then please do let him know (or me and I'll pass the message
        > on)
        >
        > Thanks for your anticipated help and please accept my apologies for the
        > off topic post, it's my small "good turn" to a Scouter badly done by :(
        >
        > Again, thank you and 73,
        > Gordon MMØGSS

        > It's only a deal if it's where /you/ want to go. Find your travel deal
        > *here*
        > <http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047>.

        http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE
      • David Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
          Hi Bill
          Demi, Jochen and I were operators on the team of GB100J at the World
          Scout Jamboree in Essex, England in August 2008 so Demi knows Jochen
          and may well be familiar with the JOTA badge blankets in question.

          73
          David GI4FUM/EI4DJ

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart - W2BSA <w2bsa@...>
          wrote:

          > I shall do as requested and forward the email to a friend of mine
          who is an
          > avid collector as well. His name is Demi K4BSA. He is a dear
          friend of mine
          > and knows well the value of collecting Scouting items.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Bill W2BSA
          >
          > ClayMayrose@... wrote:
          > >
          > > Forwarded from another list. originator:
          > > smudgegs@... <mailto:smudgegs@...>
          > >
          > > Ladies and Gents,
          > >
          > > A HAM I know, Jochen DK8ZM, is a keen collector of Scout Radio
          badges
          > > and had possibly the largest collection anywhere until they were
          > > unfortunately recently stolen (approx 300 rare badges). Anyone
          who
          > > collects radio ephemera will understand the upset this will have
          caused.

          > > I would like to politely request everyone to keep an eye out and
          if you
          > > hear of any unusual or large numbers of JOTA or radio scouting
          badges
          > > appearing then please do let him know (or me and I'll pass the
          message
          > > on)
          > >
          > > Thanks for your anticipated help and please accept my apologies
          for the
          > > off topic post, it's my small "good turn" to a Scouter badly
          done by :(

          > > Again, thank you and 73,
          > > Gordon MMØGSS

          -------
          > > It's only a deal if it's where /you/ want to go. Find your
          travel deal
          > > *here*
          > > <http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?
          ncid=aoltrv00050000000047>.

        • Bill Stewart
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
            Hi David,
            Good to meet you. Demi is on his way to SW Nevada here in the States. He is part of
            a team from the Explorers Club that is going there to try and find Steve Fossett's airplane and from there inform the authorities so that they can recover his body.
            As you may be aware Steve Fossett was the balloonist that completed the first round the world  non-stop
            balloon flight. He crashed his airplane in the Rocky Mountains. Demi's job will be logistics and will be doing long distance communications on
            20 meters. He will get back in mid September.  I have forwarded the email from Clay so that when he visits  swap meets  he can check.

            Best 73,

            Bill, W2BSA

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2008
              Hi Bill

              Yes I remember Steve Fossett and the crash last year. That sounds
              like a worthwhile expedition. I hope they are successful.

              Look out for 3DA0JOTA during Jamboree on the Air this year. I am
              heading down to Swaziland in October for JOTA and then CQWW SSB the
              following weekend. The CQWW callsign will probably be 3DA0DJ.

              73
              David GI4FUM/EI4DJ/3DA0DJ

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...> wrote:

              > Hi David,
              > Good to meet you. Demi is on his way to SW Nevada here in the
              States. He
              > is part of
              > a team from the Explorers Club that is going there to try and find
              Steve
              > Fossett's airplane and from there inform the authorities so that
              they
              > can recover his body.
              > As you may be aware Steve Fossett was the balloonist that
              completed the
              > first round the world non-stop
              > balloon flight. He crashed his airplane in the Rocky Mountains.
              Demi's
              > job will be logistics and will be doing long distance
              communications on
              > 20 meters. He will get back in mid September. I have forwarded
              the
              > email from Clay so that when he visits swap meets he can check.
              >
              > Best 73,
              >
              > Bill, W2BSA
              >
              > David Hutchinson wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Bill
              > > Demi, Jochen and I were operators on the team of GB100J at the
              World
              > > Scout Jamboree in Essex, England in August 2008 so Demi knows
              Jochen
              > > and may well be familiar with the JOTA badge blankets in
              question.

              > > 73
              > > David GI4FUM/EI4DJ
              > >
              > > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
              > > <mailto:ScoutRadio%40yahoogroups.com>, Bill Stewart - W2BSA
              <w2bsa@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I shall do as requested and forward the email to a friend of
              mine
              > > who is an
              > > > avid collector as well. His name is Demi K4BSA. He is a dear
              > > friend of mine
              > > > and knows well the value of collecting Scouting items.
              > > >
              > > > 73,
              > > >
              > > > Bill W2BSA

              Radio
              > > badges
              Anyone
              > > who
              > > caused.

              > > if you
              > > badges
              > > message

              > > for the
              > > done by :(

              > > -------
              > > travel deal
              > > <http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?>
              > > ncid=aoltrv00050000000047>.

              8/21/2008 6:54 PM

            • Matt Murphy
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 24, 2008
                David GI4FUM/EI4DJ/3DA0DJ wrote:
                > As you may be aware Steve Fossett was the balloonist that
                completed the
                > first round the world non-stop
                > balloon flight.

                David,
                Actually he was the 1st SOLO balloonist that made it around the world non-stop.
                The 1st balloonists that made it around the world were Bertrand Piccard and Brian Jones
                beginning March 1, 1999 and ended 20 days later in the Breitling Orbiter 3.

                Thanks for the info Bill.  I wish them luck!

                Matt Murphy
                kc8bew