Re: JOTA/JOTI from Swaziland

  • David Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
      Hi Mark

      Both JOTA and JOTI will be new to the Swazi scouts. We hope to have
      20 of them camping with us at Hawane for the weekend. Unfortunately
      we can only confirm 2 licenced operators at the moment - myself and
      Daniel ZS6JR - although my wife will be with me and she has a full
      licence (GI8MIV) and we might get one or two local operators. We
      would certainly give the scouts both the JOTA and JOTI experience if
      at all possible.

      The one thing that would help would be sponsorship for camp fees for
      the 20 scouts otherwise they may not be able to afford this. If
      anyone wants to come and join us at this late stage I am open to
      offers. Daniel and I plan to operate for CQWW SSB the following
      weekend from Hawane. He has an excellent permanent HF antenna farm
      there covering 160m through to 10m.

      73
      David GI4FUM/EI4DJ/3DA0DJ

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

      > Hi David,
      >
      > You mention JOTA but what about JOTI? Will you be doing a JOTI
      station
      > too?
      >
      > Mark
      >

      > On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 09:28 +0000, David Hutchinson wrote:
      > > In March 2007 I was part of the Irish Radio Transmitters Society
      > > 75th Anniversary expedition to Hawane in Swaziland. We raised
      > > sponsorship for a scouting project in Swaziland and met Bhekie
      > > Metfula, a young leader in his 20s who is an international
      > > commissioner.
      > >
      > > I was invited back this October to run a JOTA station from
      Hawane.
      > > The station will use the same equipment and antennas with which
      we
      > > achieved a second place in the CQWPX SSB contest as a Multi two
      > > station with over 9 million points. We hope to invite up to 20
      Swazi