Re: [ScoutRadio] JOTA/JOTI from Swaziland

  • Mark Phillips
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
      Hi David,

      You mention JOTA but what about JOTI? Will you be doing a JOTI station
      too?

      Mark

      On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 09:28 +0000, David Hutchinson wrote:
      > In March 2007 I was part of the Irish Radio Transmitters Society
      > 75th Anniversary expedition to Hawane in Swaziland. We raised
      > sponsorship for a scouting project in Swaziland and met Bhekie
      > Metfula, a young leader in his 20s who is an international
      > commissioner.
      >
      > I was invited back this October to run a JOTA station from Hawane.
      > The station will use the same equipment and antennas with which we
      > achieved a second place in the CQWPX SSB contest as a Multi two
      > station with over 9 million points. We hope to invite up to 20 Swazi
      > scouts to camp with us at the station over the JOTA weekend.
      >
      > 73
      > David GI4FUM/EI4DJ/3DA0DJ

      > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

      Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
      Randolph, NJ
    • David Hutchinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
        Hi Mark

        Both JOTA and JOTI will be new to the Swazi scouts. We hope to have
        20 of them camping with us at Hawane for the weekend. Unfortunately
        we can only confirm 2 licenced operators at the moment - myself and
        Daniel ZS6JR - although my wife will be with me and she has a full
        licence (GI8MIV) and we might get one or two local operators. We
        would certainly give the scouts both the JOTA and JOTI experience if
        at all possible.

        The one thing that would help would be sponsorship for camp fees for
        the 20 scouts otherwise they may not be able to afford this. If
        anyone wants to come and join us at this late stage I am open to
        offers. Daniel and I plan to operate for CQWW SSB the following
        weekend from Hawane. He has an excellent permanent HF antenna farm
        there covering 160m through to 10m.

        73
        David GI4FUM/EI4DJ/3DA0DJ