Re: [scoutradio] Seeking information for JOTA 2001

  • John Bednar
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000

      Arthur,
      We had three HF stations and two hams (my scout
      son and I). With 15 scouts, there were times when
      one radio didn't have a ham to help the boys around
      the rig. If you are going to give every boy quality
      time on the air, you really need to limit the boys
      and have enough hams on duty. Some stations
      that we talked with had boys visiting the
      stations in groups of 20-25. This really didn't get
      the scouts involved at those sites.

      By Sunday, I was really tired and warn out
      yet some of the boys that stayed in the sidelines
      Saturday wanted to operate. We could have
      used a "second-string" of hams to supervise.

      We really had some great contacts. Late Saturday
      night we talked to a New Zealand station for
      over 1.5 hours. He had three Girl Scouts (called
      Girl-Guides) at his station. The boys haven't said
      too much about the JOTA weekend. Maybe it will
      all come out at Family Night.

      John, K3CT
      k3ct@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
        > Hi Arthur - I've done a JOTA or two, but one of our members, Ernie AA1IK has done many and his comments are quite useful. I have printed them below. I've used his suggestions wherever I can, and he is right on target. I hope these help....

        Dave, WA1ZCN

> [...]
        >
        > I suggest at least two hams for each station. The questions come fast and furious from the Scouts and one ham can not keep up with the questions and operate a rig at the same time. Trust me on this one!!!
        >
        > I also suggest a snack of milk and cookies be supplied for the scouts at each station. This goes a very long way to give the Scouts a good positive ham radio experience. This is always a big hit at my station and the boys not only appreciate it but they remember it for a long time.
        >
        > I almost forgot! A world map or at the least a US map is a great tool for JOTA. The Scouts who are not operating can find the places on the map that they are talking to. It gives them a feeling of participation even though they are not talking to the Scouts at the other end. Some are too shy to talk
        > anyway but the like to prod the braver Scouts with questions to ask on the air.
        >
        > AA1IK
        >
        > Ernie Gregoire
        >

        > Arthur wrote:

        > Hi, All. The Boston (MA) Amateur Radio Club is planning now to be
        > active in JOTA 2001. This is a new activity for us and we are seeking
        > information that would help us with our arrangements during the coming months.
        >
        > Your advice and comments for a newcomer to JOTA will be very much
        > appreciated. I hope that my club can learn from your experiences, sources
        > of information, etc.
        >
        > Thank you.
        > -- Arthur N1NHZ, 73
        > d(:-) Hams wearing Call Sign Baseball Caps d(:-)
        > Boston Amateur Radio Club, ARES EMA ARRL, MaSATERN
        >
        > [This message contained attachments]

        > Message: 2
        > Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:54:10 -0500
        > From: "John Bednar" <k3ct@...>
        > Subject: Re: Seeking information for JOTA 2001
        >
        > Arthur,
        >
        > We had three HF stations and two hams (my scout
        >
        > son and I). With 15 scouts, there were times when
        >
        > one radio didn't have a ham to help the boys around
        >
        > the rig. If you are going to give every boy quality
        >
        > time on the air, you really need to limit the boys
        >
        > and have enough hams on duty. Some stations
        >
        > that we talked with had boys visiting the
        >
        > stations in groups of 20-25. This really didn't get
        >
        > the scouts involved at those sites.
        >
        > By Sunday, I was really tired and warn out
        >
        > yet some of the boys that stayed in the sidelines
        >
        > Saturday wanted to operate. We could have
        >
        > used a "second-string" of hams to supervise.
        >
        > We really had some great contacts. Late Saturday
        >
        > night we talked to a New Zealand station for
        >
        > over 1.5 hours. He had three Girl Scouts (called
        >
        > Girl-Guides) at his station. The boys haven't said
        >
        > too much about the JOTA weekend. Maybe it will

      • Novatech Com. LTD.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
          Hi, I thought I would put my 2 cents in, for what it's worth these days. My
          call is VE7LWB, and our club call is VE7QRO. Over the years I have been
          running
          GOTA, Guides On The Air. This is the girl guildes. What I have been doing is
          seting up a time for each group to come over and send some time chatting
          on HF and VHF to. I give each group about 1 to 2 hours depending on the
          size, but I have been limiting the group to a size of no more then 25 girls
          at a
          time, and this works out just fine. Last year we had over 90 girls from
          some
          5 or 6 guild troops. And to keep the ones waiting to get on and after they
          have
          been on quite, I have to girls do some real hands on work in the shop here,
          and
          to build little stuff to take home with them. In past years when I did not
          do this, it
          was next to imposible to hear the radio from all the noise the kids made
          that were
          not on, or finished there turn.