JOTA/JOTI from Swaziland

  • David Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
      In March 2007 I was part of the Irish Radio Transmitters Society
      75th Anniversary expedition to Hawane in Swaziland. We raised
      sponsorship for a scouting project in Swaziland and met Bhekie
      Metfula, a young leader in his 20s who is an international
      commissioner.

      I was invited back this October to run a JOTA station from Hawane.
      The station will use the same equipment and antennas with which we
      achieved a second place in the CQWPX SSB contest as a Multi two
      station with over 9 million points. We hope to invite up to 20 Swazi
      scouts to camp with us at the station over the JOTA weekend.

      73
      David GI4FUM/EI4DJ/3DA0DJ
    • Mark Phillips
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
        Hi David,

        You mention JOTA but what about JOTI? Will you be doing a JOTI station
        too?

        Mark

        On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 09:28 +0000, David Hutchinson wrote:
        > In March 2007 I was part of the Irish Radio Transmitters Society
        > 75th Anniversary expedition to Hawane in Swaziland. We raised
        > sponsorship for a scouting project in Swaziland and met Bhekie
        > Metfula, a young leader in his 20s who is an international
        > commissioner.
        >
        > I was invited back this October to run a JOTA station from Hawane.
        > The station will use the same equipment and antennas with which we
        > achieved a second place in the CQWPX SSB contest as a Multi two
        > station with over 9 million points. We hope to invite up to 20 Swazi
        > scouts to camp with us at the station over the JOTA weekend.
        >
        > 73
        > David GI4FUM/EI4DJ/3DA0DJ

        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
        Randolph, NJ
      • David Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
          Hi Mark

          Both JOTA and JOTI will be new to the Swazi scouts. We hope to have
          20 of them camping with us at Hawane for the weekend. Unfortunately
          we can only confirm 2 licenced operators at the moment - myself and
          Daniel ZS6JR - although my wife will be with me and she has a full
          licence (GI8MIV) and we might get one or two local operators. We
          would certainly give the scouts both the JOTA and JOTI experience if
          at all possible.

          The one thing that would help would be sponsorship for camp fees for
          the 20 scouts otherwise they may not be able to afford this. If
          anyone wants to come and join us at this late stage I am open to
          offers. Daniel and I plan to operate for CQWW SSB the following
          weekend from Hawane. He has an excellent permanent HF antenna farm
          there covering 160m through to 10m.

          73
          David GI4FUM/EI4DJ/3DA0DJ