Seeking information for JOTA 2001

  • Arthur N1NHZ
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
           Hi, All. The Boston (MA) Amateur Radio Club is planning now to be active in JOTA 2001. This is a new activity for us and we are seeking information that would help us with our arrangements during the coming months.

           Your advice and comments for a newcomer to JOTA will be very much appreciated. I hope that my club can learn from your experiences, sources of information, etc.

      Thank you.
      -- Arthur N1NHZ, 73
      d(:-) Hams wearing Call Sign Baseball Caps d(:-)
      Boston Amateur Radio Club, ARES EMA ARRL, MaSATERN

    • John Bednar
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000

        Arthur,
        We had three HF stations and two hams (my scout
        son and I). With 15 scouts, there were times when
        one radio didn't have a ham to help the boys around
        the rig. If you are going to give every boy quality
        time on the air, you really need to limit the boys
        and have enough hams on duty. Some stations
        that we talked with had boys visiting the
        stations in groups of 20-25. This really didn't get
        the scouts involved at those sites.

        By Sunday, I was really tired and warn out
        yet some of the boys that stayed in the sidelines
        Saturday wanted to operate. We could have
        used a "second-string" of hams to supervise.

        We really had some great contacts. Late Saturday
        night we talked to a New Zealand station for
        over 1.5 hours. He had three Girl Scouts (called
        Girl-Guides) at his station. The boys haven't said
        too much about the JOTA weekend. Maybe it will
        all come out at Family Night.

        John, K3CT
        k3ct@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
          > Hi Arthur - I've done a JOTA or two, but one of our members, Ernie AA1IK has done many and his comments are quite useful. I have printed them below. I've used his suggestions wherever I can, and he is right on target. I hope these help....

          Dave, WA1ZCN

> [...]
          >
          > I suggest at least two hams for each station. The questions come fast and furious from the Scouts and one ham can not keep up with the questions and operate a rig at the same time. Trust me on this one!!!
          >
          > I also suggest a snack of milk and cookies be supplied for the scouts at each station. This goes a very long way to give the Scouts a good positive ham radio experience. This is always a big hit at my station and the boys not only appreciate it but they remember it for a long time.
          >
          > I almost forgot! A world map or at the least a US map is a great tool for JOTA. The Scouts who are not operating can find the places on the map that they are talking to. It gives them a feeling of participation even though they are not talking to the Scouts at the other end. Some are too shy to talk
          > anyway but the like to prod the braver Scouts with questions to ask on the air.
          >
          > AA1IK
          >
          > Ernie Gregoire
          >

          > Arthur wrote:

          > Hi, All. The Boston (MA) Amateur Radio Club is planning now to be
          > active in JOTA 2001. This is a new activity for us and we are seeking
          > information that would help us with our arrangements during the coming months.
          >
          > Your advice and comments for a newcomer to JOTA will be very much
          > appreciated. I hope that my club can learn from your experiences, sources
          > of information, etc.
          >
          > Thank you.
          > -- Arthur N1NHZ, 73
          > d(:-) Hams wearing Call Sign Baseball Caps d(:-)
          > Boston Amateur Radio Club, ARES EMA ARRL, MaSATERN
          >
          > [This message contained attachments]

          > Message: 2
          > Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:54:10 -0500
          > From: "John Bednar" <k3ct@...>
          > Subject: Re: Seeking information for JOTA 2001
          >
          > Arthur,
          >
          > We had three HF stations and two hams (my scout
          >
          > son and I). With 15 scouts, there were times when
          >
          > one radio didn't have a ham to help the boys around
          >
          > the rig. If you are going to give every boy quality
          >
          > time on the air, you really need to limit the boys
          >
          > and have enough hams on duty. Some stations
          >
          > that we talked with had boys visiting the
          >
          > stations in groups of 20-25. This really didn't get
          >
          > the scouts involved at those sites.
          >
          > By Sunday, I was really tired and warn out
          >
          > yet some of the boys that stayed in the sidelines
          >
          > Saturday wanted to operate. We could have
          >
          > used a "second-string" of hams to supervise.
          >
          > We really had some great contacts. Late Saturday
          >
          > night we talked to a New Zealand station for
          >
          > over 1.5 hours. He had three Girl Scouts (called
          >
          > Girl-Guides) at his station. The boys haven't said
          >
          > too much about the JOTA weekend. Maybe it will

        • Novatech Com. LTD.
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
            Hi, I thought I would put my 2 cents in, for what it's worth these days. My
            call is VE7LWB, and our club call is VE7QRO. Over the years I have been
            running
            GOTA, Guides On The Air. This is the girl guildes. What I have been doing is
            seting up a time for each group to come over and send some time chatting
            on HF and VHF to. I give each group about 1 to 2 hours depending on the
            size, but I have been limiting the group to a size of no more then 25 girls
            at a
            time, and this works out just fine. Last year we had over 90 girls from
            some
            5 or 6 guild troops. And to keep the ones waiting to get on and after they
            have
            been on quite, I have to girls do some real hands on work in the shop here,
            and
            to build little stuff to take home with them. In past years when I did not
            do this, it
            was next to imposible to hear the radio from all the noise the kids made
            that were
            not on, or finished there turn.