Re: [ScoutRadio] HF at Summer Camp?

  • Dale Lamm
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 6 11:46 PM
      [ snip ]

      Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

      [ end snip ]

      Below is a link to something I wrote for a Scouting newsletter that might
      answer your question. Starts on page 3. Still doing this. Main change now
      (after two years) is I no longer take an IC-746 out in the field (too
      delicate). My TS-480SAT or other radios that can survive in a typical mobile
      situation do just fine. By that, I mean that if a radio can last inside an
      automobile (with windows rolled down and dust blowing all over), it can
      probably stand up to being used outdoors many times a year. Allow the
      expensive radios designed for an air-conditioned room to sit at home.

      http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/EagleSep2006.pdf

      73 de NX8J
    • JonEMac
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 12 2:11 PM
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

        > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
        >
        > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
        > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
        >
        > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
        >
        > Jon
        > W2MC
        > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

        Hello all,

        I'm back from summer camp (and TIRED), but for those who were
        curious....camp went well, and much differently than I had expected.

        Radio Merit Badge is, at this camp, dependent upon the schedule of the
        amateur who run the classes, which makes it unknown until arrival if
        the MB course will be offered. This week it was, and I attended the
        first session on Monday night. I identified myself as a ham, and also
        as a counselor for Radio MB. Additional sessions were planned for
        Wednesday and Thursday.

        Tuesday, I set-up the IC-706 and a tuner feeding a low 80 M dipole
        (only up about 20 feet), powered by a 20 AH gell cell, and did a
        little bit of operating that evening, as well as plugging the Radio
        merit badge for my own troop. I figured that it would be good for the
        Wednesday session; we'd be able to run contacts back and forth, and
        not have to hope for propagation.

        During breakfast on Wednesday, our Troop gets a message...the
        instructor's car broke down, and he suggested the camp find me, as his
        car wouldn't be fixed until late that day. So for about half of
        Wednesday, I taught Radio to a mixed class of Boy Scouts from my own
        and several other troops. The classes went well, I was able to make
        sufficient contacts to complete everyone's requirements, as well as
        discuss the other requirements with those that had missed the first
        session.

        Thursday, we sorted all of the merit badge information (we had 13
        total), and after the last session chased some DX on the camp station.
        The Spratley Islands were coming in, but we weren't able to break the
        pile-up.

        Friday evening, I took the in-camp station down, in preparation for
        check-out Saturday morning.

        As IU mentioned earlier - a little different.

        Jon
        W2MC