Re: [scoutradio] Digest Number 118

  • Steven C. Gallafent
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2000
      > New England learned the hard way a few years back that cell towers have
      > limited bandwidth and it doesn't take too many callers to conjest the
      tower
      > to make it unusable.

      We had a traffic accident here (between Salt Lake City and Provo, Utah) a
      few years ago that backed up traffic for several miles on the freeway in the
      middle of rush hour. I read a news report that said the cellular company
      estimated that 80% of attempted calls did not go through because the system
      was overloaded in that area.

      > Our repeaters work quite well on 12v. Most Commercial ones arond here lean
      heavily on the AC line.

      I was talking with someone last week who had gotten some 800 MHz trunked
      radios from the city for their emergency group. He wasn't too excited when I
      explained that losing the repeater meant that the entire system went down
      and he wouldn't even be able to talk from one room to the next.

      In many situations, reliance on a repeater, whether it is a cell tower or
      some other repeater that requires 120V, becomes the weakest part of a
      communications plan.

      Steve

      Steven C. Gallafent - The Computer Guy
      steve@... - http://www.compguy.com/