Re: HF at Summer Camp?

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
      I will be at Camp Tres Ritos in the NM mountains
      the week of the 13th through the 19th and will be
      teaching radio merit badge. I am taking an FT-817
      and an Alinco DX-70 plus a VX180 for the trip between
      vehicles. APRS on the way up and back. The link to
      the APRS is on our club's website, www.pacarc.org

      73 and hope to see you on the air

      Jeff Montgomery
      WB4WXD
      Troop 424
      Palestine, Texas
    • Dale Lamm
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
        [ snip ]

        Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

        [ end snip ]

        Below is a link to something I wrote for a Scouting newsletter that might
        answer your question. Starts on page 3. Still doing this. Main change now
        (after two years) is I no longer take an IC-746 out in the field (too
        delicate). My TS-480SAT or other radios that can survive in a typical mobile
        situation do just fine. By that, I mean that if a radio can last inside an
        automobile (with windows rolled down and dust blowing all over), it can
        probably stand up to being used outdoors many times a year. Allow the
        expensive radios designed for an air-conditioned room to sit at home.

        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/EagleSep2006.pdf

        73 de NX8J
      • JonEMac
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 12, 2008
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

          > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
          >
          > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
          > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
          >
          > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
          >
          > Jon
          > W2MC
          > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

          Hello all,

          I'm back from summer camp (and TIRED), but for those who were
          curious....camp went well, and much differently than I had expected.

          Radio Merit Badge is, at this camp, dependent upon the schedule of the
          amateur who run the classes, which makes it unknown until arrival if
          the MB course will be offered. This week it was, and I attended the
          first session on Monday night. I identified myself as a ham, and also
          as a counselor for Radio MB. Additional sessions were planned for
          Wednesday and Thursday.

          Tuesday, I set-up the IC-706 and a tuner feeding a low 80 M dipole
          (only up about 20 feet), powered by a 20 AH gell cell, and did a
          little bit of operating that evening, as well as plugging the Radio
          merit badge for my own troop. I figured that it would be good for the
          Wednesday session; we'd be able to run contacts back and forth, and
          not have to hope for propagation.

          During breakfast on Wednesday, our Troop gets a message...the
          instructor's car broke down, and he suggested the camp find me, as his
          car wouldn't be fixed until late that day. So for about half of
          Wednesday, I taught Radio to a mixed class of Boy Scouts from my own
          and several other troops. The classes went well, I was able to make
          sufficient contacts to complete everyone's requirements, as well as
          discuss the other requirements with those that had missed the first
          session.

          Thursday, we sorted all of the merit badge information (we had 13
          total), and after the last session chased some DX on the camp station.
          The Spratley Islands were coming in, but we weren't able to break the
          pile-up.

          Friday evening, I took the in-camp station down, in preparation for
          check-out Saturday morning.

          As IU mentioned earlier - a little different.

          Jon
          W2MC