Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: HF at Summer Camp?

  • Zach Feinberg
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
      I will probably be operating at camp NoBeBoSco this week no schedule as of yet. will be using 20m (not with my call) as time allows.

      probably in mid afternoon and the evening.
      --
      73's,

      Zach
      KC2RSS
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
        I will be at Camp Tres Ritos in the NM mountains
        the week of the 13th through the 19th and will be
        teaching radio merit badge. I am taking an FT-817
        and an Alinco DX-70 plus a VX180 for the trip between
        vehicles. APRS on the way up and back. The link to
        the APRS is on our club's website, www.pacarc.org

        73 and hope to see you on the air

        Jeff Montgomery
        WB4WXD
        Troop 424
        Palestine, Texas
      • Dale Lamm
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
          [ snip ]

          Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

          [ end snip ]

          Below is a link to something I wrote for a Scouting newsletter that might
          answer your question. Starts on page 3. Still doing this. Main change now
          (after two years) is I no longer take an IC-746 out in the field (too
          delicate). My TS-480SAT or other radios that can survive in a typical mobile
          situation do just fine. By that, I mean that if a radio can last inside an
          automobile (with windows rolled down and dust blowing all over), it can
          probably stand up to being used outdoors many times a year. Allow the
          expensive radios designed for an air-conditioned room to sit at home.

          http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/EagleSep2006.pdf

          73 de NX8J
        • JonEMac
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 12, 2008
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

            > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
            >
            > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
            > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
            >
            > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
            >
            > Jon
            > W2MC
            > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

            Hello all,

            I'm back from summer camp (and TIRED), but for those who were
            curious....camp went well, and much differently than I had expected.

            Radio Merit Badge is, at this camp, dependent upon the schedule of the
            amateur who run the classes, which makes it unknown until arrival if
            the MB course will be offered. This week it was, and I attended the
            first session on Monday night. I identified myself as a ham, and also
            as a counselor for Radio MB. Additional sessions were planned for
            Wednesday and Thursday.

            Tuesday, I set-up the IC-706 and a tuner feeding a low 80 M dipole
            (only up about 20 feet), powered by a 20 AH gell cell, and did a
            little bit of operating that evening, as well as plugging the Radio
            merit badge for my own troop. I figured that it would be good for the
            Wednesday session; we'd be able to run contacts back and forth, and
            not have to hope for propagation.

            During breakfast on Wednesday, our Troop gets a message...the
            instructor's car broke down, and he suggested the camp find me, as his
            car wouldn't be fixed until late that day. So for about half of
            Wednesday, I taught Radio to a mixed class of Boy Scouts from my own
            and several other troops. The classes went well, I was able to make
            sufficient contacts to complete everyone's requirements, as well as
            discuss the other requirements with those that had missed the first
            session.

            Thursday, we sorted all of the merit badge information (we had 13
            total), and after the last session chased some DX on the camp station.
            The Spratley Islands were coming in, but we weren't able to break the
            pile-up.

            Friday evening, I took the in-camp station down, in preparation for
            check-out Saturday morning.

            As IU mentioned earlier - a little different.

            Jon
            W2MC