RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: HF at Summer Camp?

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
      > This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they
      > are going to have a radio in place all summer in
      > one of the lodges for use...

      We had a similar offer for a permanent ham station at one of our
      camps. But try as we could, it was impopssible to keep manned,
      and so the typical scout would always see a padlocked door. And
      since he had to hike across camp to see if someone was there, it
      didn't take long for most scouts not to bother.

      So we came up with the two ideas:
      1) If there is such a site, then have a remote control link to a
      sign in the center of camp that lights up "ON AIR" when the
      shack is open, so that scouts can decide to take the hike...

      2) Put a permanent sign in the mess hall (or other central
      place) that announces "Ham radio demo this week in campsite
      _____________." This lets different troops and different dads
      at different times bring their own equipment and be available
      for mentoring where they are comfortable for a far greater
      amount of time, since they are required to be at the campsite
      with their troop much more often...

      Something like that. My web page (not updated in years ):

      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

      Good luck.
      Bob, Wb4APR
    • Zach Feinberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
        I will probably be operating at camp NoBeBoSco this week no schedule as of yet. will be using 20m (not with my call) as time allows.

        probably in mid afternoon and the evening.
        --
        73's,

        Zach
        KC2RSS
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
          I will be at Camp Tres Ritos in the NM mountains
          the week of the 13th through the 19th and will be
          teaching radio merit badge. I am taking an FT-817
          and an Alinco DX-70 plus a VX180 for the trip between
          vehicles. APRS on the way up and back. The link to
          the APRS is on our club's website, www.pacarc.org

          73 and hope to see you on the air

          Jeff Montgomery
          WB4WXD
          Troop 424
          Palestine, Texas
        • Dale Lamm
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
            [ snip ]

            Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

            [ end snip ]

            Below is a link to something I wrote for a Scouting newsletter that might
            answer your question. Starts on page 3. Still doing this. Main change now
            (after two years) is I no longer take an IC-746 out in the field (too
            delicate). My TS-480SAT or other radios that can survive in a typical mobile
            situation do just fine. By that, I mean that if a radio can last inside an
            automobile (with windows rolled down and dust blowing all over), it can
            probably stand up to being used outdoors many times a year. Allow the
            expensive radios designed for an air-conditioned room to sit at home.

            http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/EagleSep2006.pdf

            73 de NX8J
          • JonEMac
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 12, 2008
              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

              > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
              >
              > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
              > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
              >
              > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
              >
              > Jon
              > W2MC
              > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

              Hello all,

              I'm back from summer camp (and TIRED), but for those who were
              curious....camp went well, and much differently than I had expected.

              Radio Merit Badge is, at this camp, dependent upon the schedule of the
              amateur who run the classes, which makes it unknown until arrival if
              the MB course will be offered. This week it was, and I attended the
              first session on Monday night. I identified myself as a ham, and also
              as a counselor for Radio MB. Additional sessions were planned for
              Wednesday and Thursday.

              Tuesday, I set-up the IC-706 and a tuner feeding a low 80 M dipole
              (only up about 20 feet), powered by a 20 AH gell cell, and did a
              little bit of operating that evening, as well as plugging the Radio
              merit badge for my own troop. I figured that it would be good for the
              Wednesday session; we'd be able to run contacts back and forth, and
              not have to hope for propagation.

              During breakfast on Wednesday, our Troop gets a message...the
              instructor's car broke down, and he suggested the camp find me, as his
              car wouldn't be fixed until late that day. So for about half of
              Wednesday, I taught Radio to a mixed class of Boy Scouts from my own
              and several other troops. The classes went well, I was able to make
              sufficient contacts to complete everyone's requirements, as well as
              discuss the other requirements with those that had missed the first
              session.

              Thursday, we sorted all of the merit badge information (we had 13
              total), and after the last session chased some DX on the camp station.
              The Spratley Islands were coming in, but we weren't able to break the
              pile-up.

              Friday evening, I took the in-camp station down, in preparation for
              check-out Saturday morning.

              As IU mentioned earlier - a little different.

              Jon
              W2MC