Re: [ScoutRadio] HF at Summer Camp?

  • Darryl Wagoner
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
      Hi Jon,

      My first year at camp with my troop, I took my radio. I got a warm
      welcome from the staff. Having a feel for the land, the next year I
      offered to do the Radio Merit badge. I had 25 in my class (this was a
      small camp). There was one young scout 12 or 13 that really got into it.
      I had one of the best locations in camp to set up. On the front porch
      of the office building overlooking the lake. It doesn't get any better
      than that.

      I got my start in ham radio from the Boy Scouts. It took me until I was
      about 40 to get my licenses, but I did. Chances are without being
      expose to it by the Scouting program I would have never considered it.
      I hope that some of the seeds I planted with the 3 years with my radio
      program will take root. You never know how a single event like this can
      touch a passion in a Scout.

      I would say go for it. Call the camp ahead of time and make
      arrangements. It is also a good idea to have some scheds so that you
      can get the boys on the air.

      Good luck and 73

      --

      Darryl Wagoner
      DE WA1GON an Eagle Scout

      LoTW DX/WAS nets - Easy way to chase paper

      Want a scholarship into the Millionaire Mind Intensive worth $2590?
      http://www.secretsofthemillionairemind.com/a/?wid=603891
    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
        > This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they
        > are going to have a radio in place all summer in
        > one of the lodges for use...

        We had a similar offer for a permanent ham station at one of our
        camps. But try as we could, it was impopssible to keep manned,
        and so the typical scout would always see a padlocked door. And
        since he had to hike across camp to see if someone was there, it
        didn't take long for most scouts not to bother.

        So we came up with the two ideas:
        1) If there is such a site, then have a remote control link to a
        sign in the center of camp that lights up "ON AIR" when the
        shack is open, so that scouts can decide to take the hike...

        2) Put a permanent sign in the mess hall (or other central
        place) that announces "Ham radio demo this week in campsite
        _____________." This lets different troops and different dads
        at different times bring their own equipment and be available
        for mentoring where they are comfortable for a far greater
        amount of time, since they are required to be at the campsite
        with their troop much more often...

        Something like that. My web page (not updated in years ):

        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

        Good luck.
        Bob, Wb4APR
      • Zach Feinberg
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
          I will probably be operating at camp NoBeBoSco this week no schedule as of yet. will be using 20m (not with my call) as time allows.

          probably in mid afternoon and the evening.
          --
          73's,

          Zach
          KC2RSS
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
            I will be at Camp Tres Ritos in the NM mountains
            the week of the 13th through the 19th and will be
            teaching radio merit badge. I am taking an FT-817
            and an Alinco DX-70 plus a VX180 for the trip between
            vehicles. APRS on the way up and back. The link to
            the APRS is on our club's website, www.pacarc.org

            73 and hope to see you on the air

            Jeff Montgomery
            WB4WXD
            Troop 424
            Palestine, Texas
          • Dale Lamm
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
              [ snip ]

              Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

              [ end snip ]

              Below is a link to something I wrote for a Scouting newsletter that might
              answer your question. Starts on page 3. Still doing this. Main change now
              (after two years) is I no longer take an IC-746 out in the field (too
              delicate). My TS-480SAT or other radios that can survive in a typical mobile
              situation do just fine. By that, I mean that if a radio can last inside an
              automobile (with windows rolled down and dust blowing all over), it can
              probably stand up to being used outdoors many times a year. Allow the
              expensive radios designed for an air-conditioned room to sit at home.

              http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/EagleSep2006.pdf

              73 de NX8J
            • JonEMac
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 12, 2008
                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

                > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
                >
                > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
                > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
                >
                > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
                >
                > Jon
                > W2MC
                > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

                Hello all,

                I'm back from summer camp (and TIRED), but for those who were
                curious....camp went well, and much differently than I had expected.

                Radio Merit Badge is, at this camp, dependent upon the schedule of the
                amateur who run the classes, which makes it unknown until arrival if
                the MB course will be offered. This week it was, and I attended the
                first session on Monday night. I identified myself as a ham, and also
                as a counselor for Radio MB. Additional sessions were planned for
                Wednesday and Thursday.

                Tuesday, I set-up the IC-706 and a tuner feeding a low 80 M dipole
                (only up about 20 feet), powered by a 20 AH gell cell, and did a
                little bit of operating that evening, as well as plugging the Radio
                merit badge for my own troop. I figured that it would be good for the
                Wednesday session; we'd be able to run contacts back and forth, and
                not have to hope for propagation.

                During breakfast on Wednesday, our Troop gets a message...the
                instructor's car broke down, and he suggested the camp find me, as his
                car wouldn't be fixed until late that day. So for about half of
                Wednesday, I taught Radio to a mixed class of Boy Scouts from my own
                and several other troops. The classes went well, I was able to make
                sufficient contacts to complete everyone's requirements, as well as
                discuss the other requirements with those that had missed the first
                session.

                Thursday, we sorted all of the merit badge information (we had 13
                total), and after the last session chased some DX on the camp station.
                The Spratley Islands were coming in, but we weren't able to break the
                pile-up.

                Friday evening, I took the in-camp station down, in preparation for
                check-out Saturday morning.

                As IU mentioned earlier - a little different.

                Jon
                W2MC