Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: HF at Summer Camp?

  • Phil Sohn (MSN)
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4 11:02 PM
      I'll be at Camp Baldwin in OR next week and hope to be operating using the Scout Camps Calling Protocol with my IC-7000 and a Alpha Delta dipole. I'm not sure of the camp schedule, so I don't know which days I'll be on the air.

      Phil
      K7APS
      ASM, Troop 573 Woodinville, WA

      Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 9:49 PM
      Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: HF at Summer Camp?

      I have taken my radio to camp several times and always had a great
      time. Only problem was we would run out of places for everyone to
      sit. The radio would be running off batteries, G5RV up in the tree,
      and we would have QSOs around the camp fire while sipping coffe and
      making cobbler in the Dutch Ovens.

      This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they are going to have a
      radio in place all summer in one of the lodges for use. Of course,
      control operators will be present. I have not been to the camp to
      see if in fact, it has been setup. There are other camps in Michigan
      that due have permanent year around amateur stations setup.

      Take it and have fun!
      Best Regards,
      Rich "Doc" AC8AL

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

      > I'm off with our troop next
      week for Summer Camp.

      > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or
      a Yaesu 817, for demo and
      > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio
      Merit Badge.

      > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did
      it work out?

      > Jon
      > W2MC
      > ASM, Troop 48 Medford
      Lakes NJ

    • Darryl Wagoner
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5 6:45 AM
        Hi Jon,

        My first year at camp with my troop, I took my radio. I got a warm
        welcome from the staff. Having a feel for the land, the next year I
        offered to do the Radio Merit badge. I had 25 in my class (this was a
        small camp). There was one young scout 12 or 13 that really got into it.
        I had one of the best locations in camp to set up. On the front porch
        of the office building overlooking the lake. It doesn't get any better
        than that.

        I got my start in ham radio from the Boy Scouts. It took me until I was
        about 40 to get my licenses, but I did. Chances are without being
        expose to it by the Scouting program I would have never considered it.
        I hope that some of the seeds I planted with the 3 years with my radio
        program will take root. You never know how a single event like this can
        touch a passion in a Scout.

        I would say go for it. Call the camp ahead of time and make
        arrangements. It is also a good idea to have some scheds so that you
        can get the boys on the air.

        Good luck and 73

        --

        Darryl Wagoner
        DE WA1GON an Eagle Scout

        LoTW DX/WAS nets - Easy way to chase paper

        Want a scholarship into the Millionaire Mind Intensive worth $2590?
        http://www.secretsofthemillionairemind.com/a/?wid=603891
      • Robert Bruninga
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5 8:52 AM
          > This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they
          > are going to have a radio in place all summer in
          > one of the lodges for use...

          We had a similar offer for a permanent ham station at one of our
          camps. But try as we could, it was impopssible to keep manned,
          and so the typical scout would always see a padlocked door. And
          since he had to hike across camp to see if someone was there, it
          didn't take long for most scouts not to bother.

          So we came up with the two ideas:
          1) If there is such a site, then have a remote control link to a
          sign in the center of camp that lights up "ON AIR" when the
          shack is open, so that scouts can decide to take the hike...

          2) Put a permanent sign in the mess hall (or other central
          place) that announces "Ham radio demo this week in campsite
          _____________." This lets different troops and different dads
          at different times bring their own equipment and be available
          for mentoring where they are comfortable for a far greater
          amount of time, since they are required to be at the campsite
          with their troop much more often...

          Something like that. My web page (not updated in years ):

          http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

          Good luck.
          Bob, Wb4APR
        • Zach Feinberg
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5 10:29 AM
            I will probably be operating at camp NoBeBoSco this week no schedule as of yet. will be using 20m (not with my call) as time allows.

            probably in mid afternoon and the evening.
            --
            73's,

            Zach
            KC2RSS
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 6 2:12 PM
              I will be at Camp Tres Ritos in the NM mountains
              the week of the 13th through the 19th and will be
              teaching radio merit badge. I am taking an FT-817
              and an Alinco DX-70 plus a VX180 for the trip between
              vehicles. APRS on the way up and back. The link to
              the APRS is on our club's website, www.pacarc.org

              73 and hope to see you on the air

              Jeff Montgomery
              WB4WXD
              Troop 424
              Palestine, Texas
            • Dale Lamm
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 6 11:46 PM
                [ snip ]

                Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

                [ end snip ]

                Below is a link to something I wrote for a Scouting newsletter that might
                answer your question. Starts on page 3. Still doing this. Main change now
                (after two years) is I no longer take an IC-746 out in the field (too
                delicate). My TS-480SAT or other radios that can survive in a typical mobile
                situation do just fine. By that, I mean that if a radio can last inside an
                automobile (with windows rolled down and dust blowing all over), it can
                probably stand up to being used outdoors many times a year. Allow the
                expensive radios designed for an air-conditioned room to sit at home.

                http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/EagleSep2006.pdf

                73 de NX8J
              • JonEMac
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 12 2:11 PM
                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

                  > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
                  >
                  > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
                  > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
                  >
                  > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
                  >
                  > Jon
                  > W2MC
                  > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

                  Hello all,

                  I'm back from summer camp (and TIRED), but for those who were
                  curious....camp went well, and much differently than I had expected.

                  Radio Merit Badge is, at this camp, dependent upon the schedule of the
                  amateur who run the classes, which makes it unknown until arrival if
                  the MB course will be offered. This week it was, and I attended the
                  first session on Monday night. I identified myself as a ham, and also
                  as a counselor for Radio MB. Additional sessions were planned for
                  Wednesday and Thursday.

                  Tuesday, I set-up the IC-706 and a tuner feeding a low 80 M dipole
                  (only up about 20 feet), powered by a 20 AH gell cell, and did a
                  little bit of operating that evening, as well as plugging the Radio
                  merit badge for my own troop. I figured that it would be good for the
                  Wednesday session; we'd be able to run contacts back and forth, and
                  not have to hope for propagation.

                  During breakfast on Wednesday, our Troop gets a message...the
                  instructor's car broke down, and he suggested the camp find me, as his
                  car wouldn't be fixed until late that day. So for about half of
                  Wednesday, I taught Radio to a mixed class of Boy Scouts from my own
                  and several other troops. The classes went well, I was able to make
                  sufficient contacts to complete everyone's requirements, as well as
                  discuss the other requirements with those that had missed the first
                  session.

                  Thursday, we sorted all of the merit badge information (we had 13
                  total), and after the last session chased some DX on the camp station.
                  The Spratley Islands were coming in, but we weren't able to break the
                  pile-up.

                  Friday evening, I took the in-camp station down, in preparation for
                  check-out Saturday morning.

                  As IU mentioned earlier - a little different.

                  Jon
                  W2MC